Portis-baily Trade???

Marvel_Joe_Spider

DENVER (AP) -- The Denver Broncos are discussing a trade that would send running back Clinton Portis to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey, a swap of two Pro Bowlers upset with their contracts, a source said Monday.

In giving up Portis for Bailey, Denver also would receive Washington's second-round selection in the April draft, the NFL source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Vinny Cerrato, Washington's player personnel director, said at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis: ``We are talking to a number of teams and Denver is one of the teams.'' He wouldn't name the players.

The negotiations were first reported in The Denver Post.

The Redskins have protected Bailey, who can become a free agent on March 3, by designating him their franchise player. That means the Redskins must make him a one-year, $6.8 million tender, the average of the top five players at his position.

Portis has two years remaining on the contract he signed as a second-round draft pick in 2002. Displeased with the $300,000 he made last season, he has hinted he might be a holdout when training camp starts unless the Broncos rework his deal.

The deal would make sense because the Redskins went last season without an every-down running back, a must in the offensive system favored by new coach Joe Gibbs. Portis ran for 1,591 yards last year despite missing three games with chest and ankle injuries.

Portis' agent, Drew Rosenhaus, declined comment and the Broncos did not return a call seeking comment.

AP Sports Writer Joseph White contributed to this story.

If I was Portis, I'd want out too. He's rushed for 3,000 yards in his first two seasons, arguably one of the top five running backs in the league, and Denver screws him with a $300,000 per year contract.

Seems like a good trade for both teams. Denver is so reliant on their "running back system" to fill in anyone at RB and be good. First it was Terrell Davis, then Olandis Gary, then Mike Anderson, then Portis. Denver is really high on Quentin Griffin. Use him. Plus, get a Pro Bowl cornerback like Bailey, and a good draft pick. Good deal for Denver.

For Washington, it's a good deal too. The Skins need a good running back like Portis to replace Stephen Davis, and a good back to accompany Brunell (or Ramsey). They need players for Joe Gibbs, and this is a good way to do it. Plus, they dump Bailey.

Overall, good deal for both teams.

I don't mind the trade except for the second round pick to me it's abit much. I love Champ Bailey but if he doesn't want to be with us then screw him go and get your major contract somewhere else and ride it for ONLY a couple of years before that team DROPS you. Portis does deserve a raise but he shouldn't hold out remember what happened to guys like Bobby Humpries and Eric Rhett holding out after two years of 1000 yards it totally destroyed there careers. Oh yeah in case you didn't know I'm a Redskins fan!!!

Here on the Washington Post: Redskins, Portis Agree on Contract, he could make earn over $50 Million if trade made with Broncos. Now it's all up to Denver to secure a contract with Champ Bailey, it seems to be going very smoothly so far.