Whats The Point Of Collecting Transformers?

jasonkimberson

Over the past 2 to 3 years, i have gathered a large amount of transformers, but I went car shopping the other day, and realized that my transformers were kinda useless. All they seem to do is take up space in my house. All of the open ones i have have only been transformed like once or twice and then put away in the display case. Its kinda addicting to keep trying to find/buy them but in the end whats the real point?

I am really thinking about putting a lot of my transformers up for sale on EBAY... why are you guys collecting, whats your motivation/goals?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First and foremost is nostalgia, second is the ennginering on the toys, and third, well there is no third I just like every tf I have.

What do you do with them after you have them? Its not like i dont like transformers, they are really neat...but they just end up taking space and i never really look that most of them anymore.

The thing is that I still don't have so many, I have about 50, so they are still quite easy to keep in hand. My mom collects miniature parfums, she doesn't use them and she does display them. If you are not feeling the drive to buy lots of tf's you could tone it down to buying only the ones that really catch your attention. I never intended to buy, and probly won't buy armada hotshot. You should think it over cautiously before startint to sell precious items like G1.

I feel that way at time but then realize the $20 a month I spend would just be used on fast food or other crap. It would be different if you were actually gonna save the money.

Plus EVERYONE should have a hobby or a fun collection they enjoy. If not your just living a normal boring life waiting for the day to come for you to die. Having something to strive for and search for is fun.

It sounds like you need to spend some time revisiting the older ones and possible mess around with some. (non-sexual that is)

I too was faced with this problem. I decided to change the scope of my collection. I started to get off track just last week with Energon. It was starting to be like Armada all over again.

I found the Hasbro MP Prime this weekend and one look at it made me forget all about Energon. My scope now is G1 Season 1 Autobots and Decepticons, Altenators, MP, and any mold that deem awesome. By awesome, I mean I have to look at it and want it w/out question. If I have to think about it, then not gonna get it.

I will have a for sale list coming soon. Gonna be Armada, SOME RiD, and a few G1s.

Because they're a fun little icebreaker w/ friends and little robots all over the place is rad, for sure. When I start to get tired of lookin' at 'em, I just rearrange 'em. I just got my gun for blaster....So I put him on top of my bigscreen along with my complete soundwave, and Rewind and lazerbeak on their shoulders.....I have 2 pairs of blaster and soundwave, so I show one transformed and the other in cassette mode.....I'm starting to ramble but the point is, they look much better as decoration around my house than potted plants and pictures of dogs playing poker................and girls think that my collection's cute....I can't think of one negative(besides my empty wallet).

@loll@ @loll@ Hm, I guess my reasons for collecting these TFs and why I don't get bored with them is because:

1 - For sentimental and nostalgia reason.

2 - For display and pride just like trophy.

3 - My goal is to collect all the TFs from 1984-87 (season 1 to season 4).

4 - My second goal is to collect Voltron lion and vehicle, the 6 main characters from the Gobot (leader 1, scooter, turbo, Cyckill, coptor, and crasher?), and robotect VF-1s, a, and j.

Once I collect all the item from 3 and 4, I am done as a collectionist.

Once I collect all the item from 3 and 4, I am done as a collectionist.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that.....once you start collecting, you can't stop, you might move on to something else, but I doubt any of us could stop collecting #US1#

This is exactly why I make the effort not but every Transformer I come across. I think ahead and say is this guy gonna be cool after a few Transformations. As a result my collection is better because its made up of quality and meaningful transformers. I would sell any lame bots that I now for sure I wont ever want again. But beware, of selling bots that you may wish you had kept as time goes by. Sometimes its helpful to pack bots you bored of looking at into a box and put them away for a long time. When you pull them out years later you will be happy to see them again. Good luck,collecting is all about what the collection means to you. @loll@

Over the past 2 to 3 years, i have gathered a large amount of transformers, but I went car shopping the other day, and realized that my transformers were kinda useless. All they seem to do is take up space in my house. All of the open ones i have have only been transformed like once or twice and then put away in the display case. Its kinda addicting to keep trying to find/buy them but in the end whats the real point?

I am really thinking about putting a lot of my transformers up for sale on EBAY... why are you guys collecting, whats your motivation/goals?

if you got any G1 MISB let me know. I may be interested.

Its all a hobby really. Its something u do on the side. The question is...do you like TF's and if you do like them, what do you like about it?

If you can answer those questions, it would make it easier for you.

As a person grows older there are other things that take priority, like buying a house, raising a child or going to school.

Just think about what's important to you and then find a place for TFs.

I primarily collect TF's based on nostalgia (G1), and whether or not the bot/alt modes look good and/or have a cool transformation (Armada & Energon)--current exception to that being Powerlinx Thrust (his bot mode sucks, but the tan jet is nice. :)

Oh, and if you happen to have a G1 Megatron (loose, in box, doesn't matter) you wanna get rid of cheap, I might be interested.. :)

If you are getting out, send me a list. I buy in bulk sometimes

I feel like that sometimes,but when I watch a show it makes me want to crack emout every time,reading Toyfare gets me excited about them too,the fact that these toys keep me happy since my youthful days of Gen1 always makes me remember why I collect,not to mention it is an investment which grows in value over the years.I don't collect any other toylines,I used to collect Gundams but sold off my collection last year,it hurt,for about 2 days.

Over the past 2 to 3 years, i have gathered a large amount of transformers, but I went car shopping the other day, and realized that my transformers were kinda useless.  All they seem to do is take up space in my house.  All of the open ones i have have only been transformed like once or twice and then put away in the display case.  Its kinda addicting to keep trying to find/buy them but in the end whats the real point?

maybe we can split it.

Over the past 2 to 3 years, i have gathered a large amount of transformers, but I went car shopping the other day, and realized that my transformers were kinda useless.  All they seem to do is take up space in my house.  All of the open ones i have have only been transformed like once or twice and then put away in the display case.  Its kinda addicting to keep trying to find/buy them but in the end whats the real point?

@loll@ @loll@ Yup me 2......I love misb.

Ah....the beautiful smell of a toy coming outside for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

@loll@ @loll@ Yup me 2......I love misb.

Ah....the beautiful smell of a toy coming outside for the first time in nearly 2 decades.

I love the smell of it coming out after 2 minutes.

as of now... what i am thinking of getting rid of:

ALL MOSC:

RID Land Fill Sets x3 (indiv packed)

RID Ruinnation Sets x3 (indiv packed)

a gang load of spy changers (all rid/armada/tinytins)

HOC stuff

Machine Wars Megatron

A TM Walmart Exlucsive fig, (forgot name)

Other Various Items:

Spawn Stuff

Metal Gear Solid Stuff

Fast and the Furious Stuff

maybe we can split it.

'k, back off, punk!

You already have WAY more TF's than one person should have. They're MINE!!

*sends army of Ravages after you*

-EDIT- Hmm.. after reading what he wants to get rid of, I hereby call off the Ravages, and bid you welcome to them. :D @loll@ -EDIT-

Edited by Dark_Lord_Prime