My Kb's Closing??? (sob)

Devilbat

I went into KB Toys tonight, the same one I've been going to for TWENTY YEARS, and I noticed the toys were all arranged in strange ways unlike usual; aisles were backwards and it just looked different, but I didn't pay much attention. But I happen upon their very small Joe section, and I find two Beach-Head vs. Sand Viper two-packs, thinking I may have to swing back by there to grab them later. Well, about that time I noticed a big thirty-percent off sign, and a coinciding paper listing what the discount prices would be at the register. Then it truly dawns on me when I look up and see this big banner that says, "Store Closing Clearance!!"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People, I've never know my local mall not to have a KB Store. I grew up going to this store. My uncle that recently passed away took me there when I was ten years old for pete's sake, and that was the first time I had ever been to a KB Toy Store. I was horrified and so depressed.

I grabbed a few Spy Troops two-packs that I had put off getting, woefully taking advantage of the clearance prices. (Heck, they were only 30% off, and you all know how high KB is, but it was still a sale...) And I had heard of some stores in the chain closing, but I never expected THAT one to close...

Very depressing. It's just that it's always been there, and now it won't be anymore. Oh well; right? Geeze...

Yeah it does suck but KB has been iffy for the last few years. I do however have plesant memories from my childhood that have to do with KB. They are closing 2 of 6 stores in my area. So I still can stop by ever once in a while.

Draven #US1#

Y'kow, the wierd thing is, I always remembered going into toy stores at the malls with my folks - FAO Schwarz, KB Toys, local independents like Toys By Roy - and now with KB closing, kids won't ever remember going to the "toy store", it will be Wal-mart or TRU or Target...

I remember when the FAO in AZ (where I grew up) closed in '86 or so, we stopped by after church one Sunday and saw the closing signs. My folks let me buy almost ALL discounted Joe stuff - 2 Morays, dozens of figures including EELs, Snow Serpents and Vipers, AWE Striker, Night Raven...they musta spent like $200 on that stuff. Anyway, I'm rambling, my point is I loved to just go and look at the cool stuff at the small toy shops and it's sad to think that no more kids will be able to say that... :(

The one at a Mall I go to alot closed too. It's very sad. CURSE YOU WAL-MART! CURSE YOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!

Well if KB didn't generally suck so bad in the first place.

$9 for a Joe 2-Pack!?! Even TRU isn't that expensive. I have fond memories of going to KB as a kid (lived within a 5 minute WALK from the mall), but now, they never have anything. They haven't had anything new for Joes since, like August. Well, not entirely true, they haven't had anything new for the 3.75" Joes since August (or whenever the DAC came out). I've never even seen the C.A.T.

Last time I bought something at KB was when they had that 30% off "sale" for fixing prices (and a Playstation game). And, of course, it wasn't even Joes or TFs.

I remember going to Walmart or K-Mart as a kid for the new stuff and being able to go to KB to find older stuff still on the shelf. But now, even THAT is no longer really a luxury. If they don't get anything NEW in, they can't have old stuff on the shelf.

I have been afraid to ask about my two stores closing ever since I heard they filed for chapter 11. Sad. I have great kb memories as well, but the past several years they have had a seriousely waning joe selection until at some point...nothing...save for a 25cent manimal fig that had been in the clearence area forever.

At some point...soon..the only place you will be able to get toys will be at Wally's. There will probably be some off-shoot called Walltoys or Toymart down the road that handles a retail store chain seperate from the whole. I'm rambling

#US1#

When I was a kid growing up in New Orleans. There was a huge KB Toys, it was shaped like a Castle. I used to ride my bike to it every sunday. With my weekly allowance of 5 bucks Id buy Joes and peddle my ass back. It was like a 20 minute bike one way. But back then it was so worth it.

BYE BYE kb, you'll be missed!

dude that sucks, i used to love my old kb store, found most of joes/cobra there really cheap. i remember when i could find the 85 in 1986. i remember getting the cobra bugg from kb for like 7 bucks. they also had a ton of tmnt. they knew me there because i would go there so much, i used to bring 5 bucks in nickels and dimes to buy joes and motu.

The KB in my mall is also closing. It kinda sucks, as, like yourself, it has been a permanent fixture in there since I knew that mall existed. As high priced as they are (were), it's not gonna be the same in there without it.

I got mix feelings about this cause the one's by me never had the figures for cheap. I went acutally yesturday at the mall and they had ST line still at $9.99 #WTF# , but have to say I've gotten some vehciles for cheap like the NAC so I will miss KB but it won't be too much of a blow to me

Yeah, it's not so much the toy buying that's the problem. It's knowing that very soon, when I walk into the mall, the store won't be there. It's gonna be a weird feeling.

Sorry to hear it Devil bat. They are closing 8 Kbs in tenn, 4 of them near me (columbia, hickory hollow, rivergate, and cool springs). I didnt grow up here in nashville, but Ive been going to these Kbs since late 99 when I was stationed at ft campbell, so it truly sucks.

As far as Joes go in Kb though, lately Ive been really disapointed. They just havent gotten anything really good in. I was really hoping some would have some vehicles to mark down for the sale, but nada. not even any good figures (just all wave 6, the worst gijoe wave yet).

but i know your pain man...hopefully they will never take TRU away...

Thanks firestounge. Yeah, I'm like you all; alot of times KB didn't have much of a selection of any one line, and when they did they were way overpriced. My wife and I were talking about that in the car on the way home. She knew I was kinda depressed about it, especially when I told her the story of my uncle taking me there for the very first time. He died so very unexpectedly last May, so that made it even more sad I guess...

...but I digress...

Like some of y'all have said, it's not a huge deal because KB was so high. Heck, I'd only get stuff there when I couldn't find it anywhere else. But it's just sad to know it won't be there anymore when I go to the mall.

I'm not gonna mind a whole lot, as long as Wal-Mart, TRU, and Target don't slack off after putting people out of business and realizing they've cornered the market on toys. Hopefully it'll just make it easier to hunt for and find stuff now that another chain is out of the picture. Yeah, that's how I'm gonna look at it. I refuse to be depressed about it! (lol)

We all know that a lot of KB toys will be closing, But last year Sears announced they were going to open 600 of them in there stores. Maybe if your mall loses it's KB it might open up in Sears.

Oh yeah! The nearest Sears does indeed have a KB section! Dude, I forgot about that...

When I was a kid growing up in New Orleans. There was a huge KB Toys, it was shaped like a Castle. I used to ride my bike to it every sunday.

I believe you may be referring to the old CHILDRENS PALACE toy stores of the 70's and 80's. ;)

I use to love that toy store, and as a kid, just driving by with my parents and seeing that castle of a toy store, made me go nuts!

In the 80's when I started collecteing the ARAH Joes, I probably bought 85% of my collection there, as it seemed they had a whole isle to themselves, from floor to ceiling!

KB's in my area have been pretty sad for Joe buying, and with so many TRU and Walmarts and Targets and Meijers and what have you, around here to chose from...eh, good riddance!

Bring on the monopolizing ways of Walmart! @haha@

I believe you may be referring to the old CHILDRENS PALACE toy stores of the 70's and 80's.  ;)

I use to love that toy store, and as a kid, just driving by with my parents and seeing that castle of a toy store, made me go nuts!

In the 80's when I started collecteing the ARAH Joes, I probably bought 85% of my collection there, as it seemed they had a whole isle to themselves, from floor to ceiling!

Oh man...I used to LOVE Children's Palace!! I got my first MCC there for my birthday years ago! Geeze that place was awesome. Anyone who didn't experience a Children's Palace store really missed something special. Now Children's Palace closing WAS something to be depressed over... (Where's Doc Brown when you need him?) (lol)

I believe you may be referring to the old CHILDRENS PALACE toy stores of the 70's and 80's.  ;)

Oh man...I used to LOVE Children's Palace!! I got my first MCC there for my birthday years ago! Geeze that place was awesome. Anyone who didn't experience a Children's Palace store really missed something special. Now Children's Palace closing WAS something to be depressed over... (Where's Doc Brown when you need him?) (lol)

Yeah...I think by comparison, the closing of CP was more distressing to me than the thought of any KB's closing. I can't believe that the toy stores like KB that place themselves in mall areas, would have a hard time staying in business though.

The whole argument as to why Walmart is able to pull away customers from them, is that they are a department store and carry OTHER items that bring customers in, whereas a toy store can only draw toy seekers specifically.

However, when such a toy store is located in the middle of a MALL, it's basically like a department store in that situation.

Ah I too remember Childrens Palace! I loved that place as a kid. I bought a tone of my Joes there. Probably more than anywhere else from 84-87. They were the best damn toy store imo. I also remember Circus World that used to be in malls like KB. I got some great deals there when they went out of business when I was a youngster.

Draven #US1#

Like I've said before, I can't say I remember seeing any new Joes at KB, but, I was able to fill quite a few gaps in my SW collection thanks to their sales; so, I can feel some of your pain.

Anybody ready for a trip in the waaaaayback machine?

-I got my first carded RAH (non-swivel arm) Joe's at a store called "Standard Distributors", status: looooong gone

-got Grand Slam w/ Cannon @ Service Merchandise; status: gone

-got a number of SW figs (and probably GIJoe, TF, etc...) @ Zayre; status: also long gone

-Probably got back into collecting figs thanks to Circus World; staus: gone

I also thought of Childrens Palace when I read that earlier post; I remember seeing "Secret Wars" toys on the shelves, I hate to think what I probably walked past (SW clearance) @eyerise@

Then, in the last year or two, I've seen most of the K-Marts and K-B's and one of two TRU's (possibly relocating) close. :(