I Will Never Be Able To Look At Another Joe

JayC

After I got done seeing the BBI showroom yesterday, I was so impressed with the vehicles done for their EF line. These vehicles were so dead on, and in fact are made to exact specifications of the real military equipment they are based on.

The F/A-18 Hornet puts to shame any Joe jet I have seen past or present. With new elbow joints for the figures and a planned upcoming bad guy for these guys to fight, I honestly have to wonder if BBI isn't the future for a good military toy line.

Check them out here

http://www.afigures.com/g/?mode=album&albu...Fair%2FBBI&hn=1

those are really sweet, but for me joe is my line, so i get all the joe vehicles......even though they are more fake, they just have some look to them that appeal more than the realistic stuff to me, its the style they have i like it better, its more tonka and i just like those things better, they look funner to play with :)

I wont buy those BBI cause i already have enough with joe and just not enough money to get that and joe.....

gi joe isnt a military toy line anymore...it is an anti terrorism "super" team, fighting geneticly altered monsters and robots.

Im really surprised one of the members here hasn't picked out some of the bbi team, given them code names and created a new joe team for dios and such...

One of the reasons why I dont think you see this kind of realisim in Joe anymore is cause a company like BBI actually has to pay the companies that make these vehicles like Bowen and such pattens for using their designs.

I love GIJoe to and always will but looking at that new Joe jet compared to F/A-18 Hornet, hands down the Hornet is alot better toy. A name brand is one thing but at some point quality needs to really be a consideration.

http://www.afigures.com/g/?dispsize=800&mo...ic=DSCN6531.JPG

http://www.afigures.com/g/?dispsize=800&mo...ic=DSCN5170.JPG

Though I will admit the Joe pilot figures and right now at least the Joe figures themselves are still my favorites.

I bought the SWAT humvee, but the rest of the BBI line really doesnt do it for me. The strict realism doesn't jive in my Joe universe. I do think that the Joe vehicles could lean a little more towards reality, but for me the 1st few waves of Joe RAH vehicles (Vamp, SkyStriker, Rattler, etc) were the best at making vehicles based on reality, but still 'fun'.

I'm really torn now.

I don't have any of the BBi 1/18th scale stuff. I have one 21C plane--the WW2 F4U-4 Corsair--and i want to the the Cobra helicopter.

But......the pix of this F-18 are undeniably cool.

GIJOE to me has always been the mil-tech that just the day after tomorrow. Its in the future, but near enough that its at least plausible.

The old Hammer is an excellent example of what I mean--its a Hummvee, but its not....its the Hammer. Four guns too many, with bazooka/howizter, phaser cannon, warp-drive-on-the-wheels styling.....that is what GIJOE is to me. Hasbro is making a realistic Hummvee for the GIJOE line...but that seems.........wrong somehow.

A big part of my brain says that the BBI stuff doesn't fit inot the GIJOE scheme of things........but, if the figures fit.....then it most certainly can, in theory.

I think, for me, this stuff will have to be taken on a case by case basis.

But......damn these guys for making too much cool stuff.

--Ken

Yes, they are nice, and the Apache has tempted me since I first saw it. I can't even find the Blackhawk anymore :(. But for me, nothing does like the old school Joe and Cobra vehicles no matter how realistic it looks. Hisses, Havocs, Stuns, and Snowcats all the way!!! #US1# @cobracommander@

BBI is cool, but seeing those new vehicals on the coverage page for GIJOE at the toy fair by TNI (the two army color vehicals) it is excitting to see what they are coming out next with, those vehicals to me are awesome and I cannot wait until they land so I can grab em.....

i ordered that jet a while back when KB Online had them at $9.99 and it is AMAZING! the figures were so so, but that plane is bad as hell! i wish i had all my JOE stuff here, i would show pics! its still in ohio! but i am havein my mom ship it to me ASAP!

i ordered that jet a while back when KB Online had them at $9.99 and it is AMAZING! the figures were so so, but that plane is bad as hell! i wish i had all my JOE stuff here, i would show pics! its still in ohio! but i am havein my mom ship it to me ASAP!

you orderd the powerteam F-18,

and its crap compared to this....this is just ...Holy!

@firedevil@

I do think that the Joe vehicles could lean a little more towards reality, but for me the 1st few waves of Joe RAH vehicles (Vamp, SkyStriker, Rattler, etc) were the best at making vehicles based on reality, but still 'fun'.

The Sky Striker and Rattler are probably the best damn fighters ever created for the entire GI Joe line. They're pretty realistic and armed very nicely (unlike most of JvC vehicles). Though they're a bit off-scale (in a good way), they're fun and inexpensive (comparatively speaking) at the same time.

The Hammer is another example of a Joe toy dead-on with all the great qualities I mentioned above, whereas the Brawler is an example of Hasbro taking it too far with GI Joe today. I mean, it's still OK (considering I can take off the spring-loaded missile launcher), but the absense of the original machine gun that was on top hurt this one a bit.

While I do think these BBI vehicles are friggin' awesome, the super realistic scale makes me shy away from them. They would be way bigger than most of my vehicles, making playtime a bit awkward. And these things seem more like display pieces than "toys". Unfortunately, most of JvC's vehicles are crap, so I'm twisting in the wind here (and saving a ton of money at the same time, I guess).

I will say though, that realism isn't the most important quality a Joe vehicle must have. I mean, it can be ultra-futuristic or whatever and still be cool for Joe. Like Prince Adam mentioned, the HISS I/II, HAVOC, STUN and Snow Cat are all pretty darn cool in my book too, while they're aren't based on real vehicles, there's something about their design that's aesthetically pleasing to the eye, for me.

BBI has definently earned my respect this year. I can imagine that bbi would have been the evolution of the Hasbro Line, if they had strictly stuck to the 1982 milatary realism(for the most part) But I love how they drifted away from realism by 1983, Major Bludd, Destro, etc. That's the important distinction I make between being a Joe collector versus a "military toy" collector :)

you orderd the powerteam F-18,

and its crap compared to this....this is just ...Holy!

@firedevil@

DOH, i couldnt remember who made it and it looked similar to that one! my bad!

Don't get me wrong, I know the appeal of GIJoe, I have been collecting since I was a kid. I don't collect Military toys, I collect GIjoe and the story that backs GIJoe. Its things like Cobra and as you all pointed out vehicles that look real but have a touch of fantasy in it. Soldiers that wear almost superhero type outfits that you would never be seen worn in the real military, yet have that military feel to it. GIJoe when succesfull balances that line between fantasy and reality and when it strays off to much to one side or the other is when the line starts to suck. The BBI F-18 and some of those other vehicles though were really appealing. To me that F-18 is what a modern version of the Skystriker toy should look like. Im not suggesting you all quit collecting GIJoe and start collecting BBI in any way. I was just sharing my admiration of it after seeing the BBI stuff. Before hand I never really gave it much a look.

Yeah the bbi line is getting some good looks from me and I will pick up the F-18 just cause its cool and in my career I have worked on them, but they are just to expensive and they are a true 1/18 scale which means they will take up a lot of room. I barely have enough for my joes and I add to that every week.

i think thier awesome , too I got the little bird helo and the black hawk they kick ass. I refuse to get any of these crappy VvV vehicles , i hate what is happening to the line. @grumpy@

well.I agree....untill the Mechs...and the new Hummvee!

but the quick strike looks like a ##$%$#ed tonka truck wannabe!

hopefully!