Original Trilogy Collection

PixelDan

From Rebelscum.com:

The following details on the rumored vintage "re-issues" have just come in from a very reliable source:

12 newly sculpted, articulated figures will be released in the original Kenner packaging, with the Kenner logo. These will come packaged in a resealable clamshell, similar to the MOTU re-releases. They will release 4 figures from each movie. (The figures should be) available in summer of 2004. The original Millennium Falcon will also be released in new "vintage" packaging, different from the original but still very cool looking.

Three new 12" figures with "incredible likeness" to the originals, one from each of the original movies. Vintage packaging. Luke is a sure thing, but and a mock-up of Boba Fett was also seen.

Though it is being reported that the new retro figures will have extra articulation, it could easily have been a misinterpretation. Chances are still good that the new figures will have the regular five points of articulation found in the vintage line. Considering these are said to be new sculpts, there is a chance, however unlikely, that these figures will more or less compliment the original line and focus on costumes not yet presented in the original Kenner line.

As of late, there has been an increased interest in the vintage Star Wars line, so if successful, it is possible that could lead to an ongoing Kenner line. Until Hasbro makes a statement though, we’ll be left to speculate.

So, what do you guys think of this? It seems a lot of Star Wars collectors on the rebelscum forums are quite upset with this idea, particularly those who primarily collect the original Vintage line. But we don't even know how this line is going to work yet. They could be reissuing old vintage figures, or making brand new figures, just int he vintage style!

Either way, I like the idea. It just seems really cool to me. If it is reissues of the originals, it will give collectors like myself a chance to own some figures we may not have before. If it is new figures done in the vintage style, it will just be a cool and unique addition to a Star Wars collection. Thoughts?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it and excited to see what they do. I can't wait to see if they reissue old figures or make a new set in the style of the originals.

Either way, I'm very interested! I'd love to see characters from the prequels done in a retro-Kenner style. Cool. I had a similar wish for a comic series.

I hope this rumor is true, and even if it's the same vintage sculpts, hey; even better imo since I would like a set but can't afford vintage figures MOC.

Well Hasbro did do some reissues in 97. I have a four pack reissue of Luke, Vader, Chewie and ? somewhere. Just like the reissues they did for GIJoe, they just reused some molds they had. No idea if they caused any uproar when they were released.

From Alltroops, here is the POTF2 Classic 4 Pack (the release date is wrong)

It seems like there were some complaints about them affecting the values of loose vintage;and they seemed to collect dust for a while. [A lot of the ones I saw had cuts in the packaging (from opening cases w./ knives?); I had a little trouble finding one in decent shape]

As someone who grew up w/ the vintage line and collected old carded figs while waiting for the return of the line; I enjoyed the POTF2 set. I'm also a big fan of retro-style packaging; if this comes to pass, I'll get as much of it as I can. It sounds like this would happen in conjuction w/ the OT dvd release; which would most likely mean only OT characters. Possibly characters not produced in the vintage line; Tarkin, Han- Stormtrooper, Leia as Jabba's Prisoner, etc.... Although, it is a little confusing to figure out exactly what they mean. I can't wait for Hasbro's Spring presentation :D

• 3 weeks later...

From Galactic Hunter's Swami:

Hasbro plans on producing specially packaged toys just for the [OT DVD release]. The assortment will appropriately  be dubbed Trilogy. ...these are essentially previously released toys in Trilogy packaging,  and conjures a short list (and not necessarily the complete list) of what we can expect.

Trilogy Millennium Falcon

Trilogy X-Wing Fighter with figure

Red Leader X-Wing??

Trilogy TIE Fighter

ugh, they're going to rerelease it again?!? It better have the correct panels this time :rolleyes:

Trilogy 12" Figures (Characters yet to be revealed)

Trilogy Ask Yoda

I guess the 'vintage carded' figures will be included? Will they also be rereleased modern figures?

• 3 weeks later...

From Sir Steve's Guide:

No pictures were allowed.

Figures from the "Original Trilogy Collection" (OTC) were shown; the OTC packaging has a 'starfield' w/ the original Star Wars logo at the top of the card wrapping around the blister. "The figures shown are new sculpts in the vintage style package (at least that is what was shown on display). Hasbro now classifies the figures as "Rebel vs. Empire" where the Figure # is by being blue or red in color." Figures that will be available are: (descriptions from SSG)

#1 Luke Skywalker (Dagobah) from The Empire Strikes Back

This figure is Luke using the force by balancing himself with one hand. It includes a piece of the swamp as a base.

#2 Yoda from The Empire Strikes Back

(No description)

#3 Obi-Wan Kenobi from The Empire Strikes Back

Obi-Wan has been updated from his clear blue plastic that was available as an exclusive to a new clear figure but with color. It's difficult to explain but it looked pretty good.

#4 R2-D2 from The Empire Strikes Back

This was the only figure (actually it was only the package) on display. The card back has a picture of the character and figure with this text next to it

"Two-stage button! Press briefly for robotic character and light. Press and hold button for robotic "scream" and light."

Following the above were pictures of other figures in that wave. There was also the "Jedi Knights Kids Club" logo. This will be a newsletter type mailing list.

Vehicles:

Millennium Falcon - Comes with many new electronics including "headlights," flying sound, missile-firing launcher, hyperdrive sounds and lights (looked really cool), and start-up and cruise sounds. It also comes with the gaming table and hidden compartment.

Role-Playing:

Darth Vader Electronic Lightsaber

Luke Skywalker Electronic Lightsaber

It's not a great picture, but, it's the only thing for the time being. In this picture, you can see the "Original Triology Collection" Millennium Falcon. Based on the scale (see Rappartunie figure to the right), I believe it's the Vintage/POTF2 version repackaged (no real surprise, imo). You can also get an idea of the "OTC" packaging

• 2 weeks later...

From the Hasbro website:

(Check the link for more pictures)

OTC_logo.jpg

HAN_OTC_sm.jpg

3 ¾” Vintage Figures - These figures will be ultra-modern sculpts with incredible articulation and decoration of twelve core characters from the classic trilogy, with four representing each movie.  The vintage aspect is that they will be placed in reproductions of the card fronts from the original packaging of the 70’s or 80’s.  That means they will have the same “coffin” blister and even the Kenner logo!  For those that want to keep the product in the package, the figures will come with a Star Wars embossed outer clamshell.

12” Vintage Figures - Similar to the vintage 3 ¾” figures, these 12” figures will be modern sculpts on reproductions of the original packaging card front and box shape.  Three 12” figures will be released nationally including Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper.  They will have their own unique outer casing that was designed with premium graphics and a special silver banner.

Millennium Falcon - Available for the first time since 1997, the ultimate Star Wars vehicle is back!  This legendary spaceship will now include a firing missile, all new light up back engine thrusters, new engine, hyperdrive, flying and blaster sounds.  Additionally, the cockpit has been redesigned to fit the 3 ¾” figures more easily.

The Tie Fighter and X-Wing will also be available in OTC Packaging

I am going to buy the new Millennuim Falcon for sure on the day I will get Original Trilogy on DVD. The new figure from the OT line I will also get with the old school carded on it.