• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jin,

Amazing work my friend! Thanks so much for sharing your insights. So onto my question.

So, I'm a total newb customizer, but I thought I'd start by re-painting a ML figure. My question, and I haven't been able to find an answer, is do I need to take the figure apart before painting? If not, how do I get the paint in the joints????

Anyway, thanks again!

Good evening,

Let me start by saying that I have seen your work and you do excellent work. And that being said since I'm fairly new to customizing I have a few questions.

First is a painting issue. I have a Hush Batman that I've started repainting black where he is currently blue. Everything is done but when I paint the cape it does not dry fully. I'm using Model Master flat black #FS37038 and it seems to work on everything else but the cape material. What should I do to paint it?

Next I've been to your site and read about your preference on sculpting compounds but if I remember correctly that compound needs to be prepared and left overnight before you use it. I work two jobs so I never really know when I will have the time to work on my figures. What compound would you suggest to use that can be worked with immediately or at least fairly quickly.

Thank you

Spectrum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Dug up from the depths of the earth... this thread arises. Thunderclouds clash in the distance as all mankind can be heard here!

No really, I have time to answer customizing questions once again. Post anew, from this message down I'll be answering.

Maybe you can help with this. I've been trying to mod peg holes so that I can fit new heads on certain bodies. I've tried putting a small amount of apoxie in the head peg to make it fit... But it never works. It either glues the head in place or all the apoxie falls out. So, how would I go about fixing this problem?

hi jin.

how do u disassemble transformers figures and what paint do u use for them?

how do we avoid paint rub after the repainted TFs?

thanks

I personally have never disassembled any of my TF customs, tho I know many people do. If you're spraypainting/airbrushing them, then it can be useful to take them apart and mask off sections for a smooth and even coat. However I just leave them together and paint them mainly by hand, moving parts and letting sections dry before advancing.

The paints I use for TF's are mainly Testors Acrylics with some of the Tamiyia clear colors. I've found those are forumulated well for hard-plastic models, which Transformers are essentially made of anyway. I don't primer my figures usually, and I find if I wash my figure with warm, soapy water first the paint sticks without every chipping off.

Quite often I'll have to shave down some edges or sand sections that rub, especially around the hips. I use the superglue-shield method to fix paint-rub as well. But overall the paint doesn't wear off when I transform them. I use high-quality Testors acrylic model paints, not wal-mart craft paints. That makes a difference too.

Maybe you can help with this. I've been trying to mod peg holes so that I can fit new heads on certain bodies. I've tried putting a small amount of apoxie in the head peg to make it fit... But it never works. It either glues the head in place or all the apoxie falls out. So, how would I go about fixing this problem?

Yep, this can be aggravating! Apoxie sculpt doesn't flex, it's hard and it's best purpose is for sculpting. What you need is something more plastic-like for removable heads and ball-joints. My weapon of choice is Devcon Plastic Welder. I fill in the hole and then re-drill it to fit. Plastic welder is a messy epoxy-like stuff that stinks, so use it in good ventalation. It also removes paint so be careful when applying it, definatly a toxic stuff. However it cures in about 5 minutes and quite literally bonds to the plastic/becomes plastic. I don't use it very often, only in situations where I need to recreate a tough plastic section, and in your case it would work because I do the same thing for heads. I do hear that Kneadite works too as its flexible and can be drilled out. I just have trouble keeping it inside the hole because it doesn't adhere super well to the plastic usually.

Looky Looky at who has time on their hands agin (hint hint)

Anyway, not really a help question but more like a second opinion. I know you wanna make a BIG sentinal, I have been considering it myself... Now that my Jim Lee x-men set is done. How far have you got in the Brainstorming process and what kind of ideas do you got for him in that mushy mech pilot brain of yours...

LMK later Jinsao if you get hunger in your free time we got some soup for ya.

Rar! Glad my tips worked for you. I still think handpainting is the way to go on most things. Least robots and military stuff.

Kyle! I will, I will, but my focus has turned to Transformers for a bit, less of marvel Legends right now. I always loved giant robots and now is the perfect time to pratice on em!

Rar! Glad my tips worked for you. I still think handpainting is the way to go on most things. Least robots and military stuff.

Kyle! I will, I will, but my focus has turned to Transformers for a bit, less of marvel Legends right now. I always loved giant robots and now is the perfect time to pratice on em!

SURE...lol..J/K

Well, we love any custom toys, not just marvel legends (in fact I would love for you to mix it up wit some TF's)

anyway... you didnt reply about the sentinal man

Hey Jin I was checking out your Starscream, and those claws are awesome. I was wondering did you paint that all with a brush? Also I wanted to ask you something else I want to start doing some repaints and begin sculpting some figures of my own, but for now I will start with repaints anyway I sent you a message through Ebay the other day as Galacticaan thanks for responding. Anyway the other thing I wanted to ask was I was recently laid off and I have to sell some of the figures I wanted to paint in order to get the cash together that I will need to purchase some brushes and paints. I will probably only be able to afford 2 brushes and I realize that I will be needing 2 at least to start. I just wanted your opinion on what size brushes I should start with. I was thinking of getting some sable brushes which used to cost me around $9 it's been a long time since I painted anything like this anyway I was thinking of hitting up Michaels once a few of my auctions sell and pick up a very fine tipped brush for detail and perhaps a fan brush that is about 1' wide. Any advice on what brushes to get first would be greatly appreciated. I have'nt even looked at the store to price brushes. I was just laid off and my wife is switching places with me. I am staying at home with the kids, and she is working now. Sorry for jumping off topic anyway I am just curious as to what brushes I should start with. There is no way I can afford to get myself an airbrush and compresser at this point in time. Also I noticed you said you like to use Testor Acrylics for the plastic on the transformers is this correct. Thanks for your time, and sorry for being so long winded.

Hey Jin, I've just bought a dremel but I don't know which attachments to use for dremelling, trimming plastic etc.

Any tips would be most appreciated. I don't want to use the wrong attachment & spoil the plastic/figure.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Jin I was checking out your Starscream, and those claws are awesome. I was wondering did you paint that all with a brush? Also I wanted to ask you something else I want to start doing some repaints and begin sculpting some figures of my own, but for now I will start with repaints anyway I sent you a message through Ebay the other day as Galacticaan thanks for responding. Anyway the other thing I wanted to ask was I was recently laid off and I have to sell some of the figures I wanted to paint in order to get the cash together that I will need to purchase some brushes and paints. I will probably only be able to afford 2 brushes and I realize that I will be needing 2 at least to start. I just wanted your opinion on what size brushes I should start with. I was thinking of getting some sable brushes which used to cost me around $9 it's been a long time since I painted anything like this anyway I was thinking of hitting up Michaels once a few of my auctions sell and pick up a very fine tipped brush for detail and perhaps a fan brush that is about 1' wide. Any advice on what brushes to get first would be greatly appreciated. I have'nt even looked at the store to price brushes. I was just laid off and my wife is switching places with me. I am staying at home with the kids, and she is working now. Sorry for jumping off topic anyway I am just curious as to what brushes I should start with. There is no way I can afford to get myself an airbrush and compresser at this point in time. Also I noticed you said you like to use Testor Acrylics for the plastic on the transformers is this correct. Thanks for your time, and sorry for being so long winded.

Yep, I have an airbrush but all my TF's so far are brush-painted. Brushes, hmmm... Really you need more than two, so I'd wait till you're in a better position to buy what you need. Take a look at my painting guide and you'll see a picture with the brushes I use. Flat, stiffer brushes for 'beat em up' drybrushings are a must. But you need some regular sable or fine camel hair for basecoats. Then 000 and 001 for detailing. Check Wal mart's toy dept with the model cars and snag some of the 'Kustom Kolors' brushes. They're pretty good and only $2 for the super-tiny 000 detailers. Last for quite a while!

Hey Jin, I've just bought a dremel but I don't know which attachments to use for dremelling, trimming plastic etc.

Any tips would be most appreciated. I don't want to use the wrong attachment & spoil the plastic/figure.

Thanks in advance.

Honestly, my most used Dremel bit is a regular drill-bit of different sizes. I drill holes, cut with them, shave parts and level surfaces, they're extremely useful. However you'll need a 4-bladed router bit, looks like a straight post with edges running down part of it, and a bladed top. Some dentist-burr bits, the little round ones. Some people use sanding stone bits but I find they clog with molten plastic right away, so I pay for the carbide cutters that are the same shape, just solid metal. Here's a pic of them:

Dremel.jpg

Hey Jin,

Just wanted to know how you take such good pictures? It seems the time has come where I can finally get customising figures and I'm pretty sure I know what to do with all the sculpting/painting/dremeling business, but when it'll come down to showing it off I really want it to look good! So any tips on how to take the pictures like yours? Also, what do you use for backdrops? I've noticed on figures like your 'monk style' Xorn there's a grey backdrop that i think really makes the photos that much more presentable.

I know its the ask JIN thread But I thought I would chime in.

Heres a Basic help to simplistic beggining

begin12.jpg

Heres somthing jin might send to you. Alittle more a Pro method to go (its cheap too)

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Heeey thanks man! :)

What Kyle has is close, here's what I use: http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

The difference is the sheet. It reflects the light all around inside the tent, removing odd shadows and only casting one tone of light on the figure. Also, set the ISO on your camera for 200, that should allow the best amount of light in to crank up the detail and remove the grainy look.

The background is just a black piece of posterboard from the 99c store. I find that the 99c store posterboard looks better than the expensive art-store stuff, more grey than black.

Yeh Jin, thats the same link I posted lol... did you notice?

(and just to give a shout out, that image I posted **with grifter** is from a tutorial by VeriablePenguin)

I use the tent (sheet) with silver poster bord from wal-mart. it bounces light in many directions and also brings out true color.

• 3 weeks later...

Once again thanks for the info guys. I may be getting my first rotary tool today. :D

Yup, got me a Dremel. Looks like an intimidating thing, but I'm excited to begin using it once I get the other stuff I need. In fact I think I may be able to do some work with it now.