Star Wars Trilogy DVD Discussion Thread

catter

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only a rumor at this point. A very strong rumor. With many things to back it up...

1. digitalbits.com has stated that quite a few of their industry sources that are usually right have said they heard that Lucas was very happy with how the Indy trilogy turned out & is thus going to release the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year.

2. Word is that various retailers have been told to make sure they have their orders for SW merchandise in earlier than normal for next year (perhaps to make sure there's enough new product to support the DVD releases available at all times). Add to that the very OT heavy lists of the figures announced & rumored for next year.

3. A very special invitation was sent out to various companies that have dealings with Lucasfilm about a week and a half ago. This invitation was a plaque with an engraved metal plate & a Darth Vader figure glued to it & a special message. Some are saying that this is to hype Ep3, but considering it's a Vader figure & states Lord Vader it sounds more like something for the original trilogy.

4. TheForce.net & Rebelscum (which is probably where you got the info from catter) have both reported that their sources are telling them the OT will be on DVD by next fall.

Add it all up & it does look like there's a very strong chance we'll have the OT on DVD in some form, either SEs or originals (hopefully), by this time next year. @firedevil@

although these are all just rumors they are nontheless very good reasons to get excited! I was at TRU the other day and was playing the rogue leader demo and after the quick but sweet DVD quality cutscenes of Hoth I was once again dissapointed that I would still have to wait a good 3 years before these movies saw DVD life. Then I saw this and was like "YES!!"

As for the rumor of episodes 7-9, all I can say is (if they prove to be true) THANK YOU! I read in the same rebelscum article that Star Wars is too extraordinary a franchise to just see it dwindle down the by the wayside and I could not agree more! I'm sure we sill still have star wars in some form of media after Ep III, but movies? that would be fantastic!!

Heh, let's hope all this is far from rumour eh? My VHS copies are a little worse for wear too, added to the fact they are not widescreen copies either (what was I thinking?), and that goes for both originals and SE's that I have.

And that's another thing - I bet we only end up with the SE versions! I hope they get their act together actually, and utilize DVD's 'seamless branching' capabilities for each film, that would be awesome.

I would not be interested in Special Ed DVD's at all. I want the original versions or nothing.

Nope. I work at DVD.IGN.com, and they will not be released unti EP. 3 is released on DVD, they will all be together, and lucas is doing another "special edition" of The origional trilogy. the first orgiinal trilogy or the old SE will never see the light of day on dvd

I read somewhere

forgot where

that the original trilogy will be released next fall and will help promote epissode 3

I'll believe it when I see it.

.. and lucas is doing another "special edition" of The origional trilogy.

Oh, great.... please please no more 'Greedo shoot first' type scenes, nOOooooo!! What'll it be this time, put Jar Jar in the cantina? Or Jabba's Palace perhaps??! Put in Qui-Gon's ghost somewhere? Over to you, Mr Lucas!! @wacko@

Jeez, will that man EVER be satisfied?!

He'll probably do some flashback scenes with Padme. I heard he had Natalie film some extra material, but I don't know how accurate that information is. He can give us all the SE versions he wants as long as he also gives us the original cuts.

I thought the "Padme'" rumor had been shot down; but, i can't say for sure. The only potential changes I've heard about (take this w/ 'a grain of salt' ;) ) :

replacing ''chimp face' Emperor [ESB] w/ Ian McDiarmid

footage of Bail Organa/Alderaan as Death Star approaches

footage of Emperor/ senate being dissolved [ANH] [?]

"Imperial March" in ANH

replacing 'Grimace' the Hutt w/ TPM model [?]

PT artifacts in Obi-Wan's hut [?]

Assuming any of this true, the 'idea is to help tie the two trilogies together. Personally, I'd be happy w/ just the Emperor being changed, and maybe a few 'flipped negatives'/ matte lines being tweaked.

Those changes might be for the better. Hopefully if we're going to have Greedo shoot first, that sequence is straightened out a bit. It's just...off.

I do wish we could get the unspoiled version. Too bad it can't be released like E.T. where you get both versions of the film.

While this does not confirm the Fall 2004 dvd release, I figured I'd mention it anyway....

This blurb was in an issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly; and, in this report of a recent SE screening (see: "Tweaks to the Special Editions" [10/27]) comes word that the ANH lightsaber duel may have been improved on.

Tweaking that awful battle would be good, always one of my least favorite parts of the trilogy. Take out Greedo shooting, or fix it considerably. I like the extra celebration scenes in Jedi, but bring back the original music to that part. Also, bring back the original music scene in Jabba's palace. Replacing chimp boy Emperor would be nice too. I doubt we will see these until after Ep3 is released on DVD. Then we'll see a New Trilogy DVD set, and later a Old Trilogy set. They don't wanna cram everything out there now, when there is going to be years and years of Star Wars dormantness to follow ep3.

I'd definitely prefer both versions of the movies on the same discs, but I have a very bad feeling about this.......

Guest gunslingercbr

Assuming any of this true, the 'idea is to help tie the two trilogies together.

yes, because all of this is easier and makes more sense than him just having written the prequels to fit into the continuity of the original films, instead of ruining the originals so they make sense in regards to these POS.

Tweaking that awful battle would be good, always one of my least favorite parts of the trilogy. Take out Greedo shooting, or fix it considerably. I like the extra celebration scenes in Jedi, but bring back the original music to that part. Also, bring back the original music scene in Jabba's palace. Replacing chimp boy Emperor would be nice too.

I agree there, especially the ANH lightsaber duel and Vader's "walking-stick" lightsaber just as the blast doors are closing. Those have bugged me for ages, but that 'Tweaks to the Special Editions' report is welcome news indeed.

Guys. It's already fixed. A New Hope Special Edition was screened at some film festival (can't remember the name.). Anyway, the lightsabers were fixed. No walking sticks.

They also added some clouds on Tattoine for once sequence. Why even bother?

Nope. I work at DVD.IGN.com, and they will not be released unti EP. 3 is released on DVD, they will all be together, and lucas is doing another "special edition" of The origional trilogy. the first orgiinal trilogy or the old SE will never see the light of day on dvd

I don't believe a thing Lucas says. He said he'd never do a Star Wars movie afer Jedi. The man will do whatever the fans want (or whatever he thinks they want) and whatever will make money. I am fairly sure we will one day see the theatrical release of the original trilogy on DVD in the future.