Ok Old Schoolers, Speak Out.

Starscream49

i like g1 because of naostalgic purposes. the toys were great for it's time and the cartoon was great too. can't imagine one without the other. as for the evolution of figures, beast are alright and rid was a definite evoluton. armada and energon probably aren't as sophisticated as rid, but both have their pros and cons. cartoon wise, the art has improved, but other than that, the story lines have seriously gone downhill. it doesn't have the same edge or effect. seems like they're going for pokemon cutesy stories that are overly corny. people love g1 not just for the toys, but also for the characters that are associated with them. they collect g1 figures for that very reason, even if the toy wasn't that desireable. today, the toys are fine, but i wouldn't buy a figure for the character. so if the toy wasn't good, it's not going to sell because the cartoon isn't strong enough to support a bad figure.

I I never found any of the toys to be all that impressive (and now, having received Universe's repaint RiD Magnus and Prime, I can say with confidence that the quality leaves alot to be desired. Almost as difficult to transform as the Alternators, but in this case it's because of the low-quality. Parts that are supposed to snap into place absolutely will not stay there, no matter what.)

The Universe release is like that. The RiD release, mine at least are sturdy and hold together well.

Each and every Transformer cartoon and toyline has held a special place in my heart, save Beast Machines. I have always come to find a few things out of each line that I truly like or enjoy.

Generation 1's toyline is superb for it's time and that's really how I look at it. Sure the majority of the are bricks, but figures loaded with articulation just started popping up within the past 5 years. I've always felt that the Generation 1 cartoon was vastly overrated, but it is what helped sell the toys. Shows like Beast Wars and even Energon are vastly superior cartoons in my opinion.

It can be easily said for me, that Energon is quickly becoming my favourite transformer series, both cartoon and toy wise.

I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this.

I like G1 best, I never got into the Beasties, RID toys brought me back, Armada was hit and miss and Energon shows signs of recalling the days of G1

G1 is my favorite, for 2 main reasons. 1 - metal, 2 - Alt Modes. These were robots in DISGUISE. With few exceptions the alt modes were perfect, as a robot Ironhide is crappity crap, but as a van, it looked dead on. Plus, you have the perfect Soundwave, Optimus and Shockwave robot modes, it was all good

I think I never liked Beasties because of the alt modes, I don't know green rats & pink dinos just didn't do it for me.

RID, back to good alt mode, fairly decent 'bot all good

Armada was hit and miss and Energon has really only had two alt mode clunkers so far.

I think that's why I like the BT's and Masterpiece too Great Alt mode and metal.

It's a great time to be a TF fan

Now if only they'd make that Optimus as a HISS from Joe vs TF in scale... I don't think they could keep up with the demand...

Age 22

I grew up watching G1. I remember coming home from school so eager to see the episodes everyday. I remember how BIG a deal it was when the Stunticons and Aerialbots were built. THat whole "Megatron has been fighting us in the air, we'll fight him in the air!!" really was a special moment for me. I vividly remember the ads on TV for Transformers the Movie. I HAD to get a Rodimus Prime toy after that. I loved the fact things were changed and we were introduced to someone new. When the cartoon was basically reruns and when the toyline died it was a SAD SAD day for me. I remember being told by a Toys R US employee, "Kid, Transformers are no more. You'll never see them again!"

Oh they proved them wrong BIG TIME. Generation 2 was SO welcome, at first. I have many a beat up G2 fig, and the battles were titanic. Seeing the cartoon on the air again was special too. Towards the end actually started moving away from TFs. I was moving back into Marvel comics again.

The bomb hit me again. Beast Wars. THe idea at first was "STUPID!!" Hated the animal idea, hated they way they looked everything. Then I watched the cartoon. "Ah its not bad." Watched it some more and BAM!! I became a Beast Wars fan. BOught toys, had to tape every episode, and was thinking about it has much as I did G1.

When Beast Machines came around, I was skeptikal at first. I was mad that the writers would not be doing Beast Wars Season 4 and new writers were taking over. I wondered what happened to some of the characters and didn't like the flashing light transformations. It took the fun out of the whole sequence. I didn't buy any of the toys(damn GUNDAM model kits) until AFTER the show ended except for Black Arachnia. It wasn't until Armada was announced that I bought a load of em. The ending to the show was wrong, but made many a thought of a fanfic for it afterwards. The toys were okay but were in wrong scale,look, and color schemes.

RiD was a revival. I remember seeing the first ep and catching on VERY quickly. I was determined to get EVERY RiD fig. I may not have gotten Bruticus, but I was thankful he wasn't in the show. The CLASSIC transforming sound was back and Optimus looked "normal" again.

Armada was in my opinion the up and the down. Toys LOOK great with little articulation. Gimmick driven, it became a Poke-esque take on TFs. The cartoon started pitifully but ended up really good(not great) and leading into a VERY promising series-ENERGON. So far I am really digging the line. Can't wait for some, want to pass on the repaints, and love the animation.

Reissues, Masterpeice Prime, and Alternators and the biggest nostalgic hit. Pockets will be emptyed for these.