Non Neon Wave 2 Prototypes.

Dolphin-Snagger

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

these colors are clearly toned down. if this is "too neon", i dunno what you guys want. all black figures?

Dude...have you ever looked at the Joe figures, pre-1987? Most, if not all of the Joes had realistic military uniforms. The extreme stuff was reserved for Cobra...and even they had a hint of realism in them.

This is just crap. Might just as well collect Power Rangers, or whatever leftover anime junk Japan is throwing at us.

these colors are clearly toned down. if this is "too neon", i dunno what you guys want. all black figures?

I agree. I don't I like a little color on these things. As long as its not outright neon i'm okay with it. However Alpine's colors still bug me. I wish he was more earth tones.

Draven #US1#

yes, i have seen pre 1987 joes, and you know what? they all look the same. part of it is the colors, part of it is that they re-used parts over and over, but to me those figures are just drab. i'm a joe child of the late 80s, early 90s. i need a little bit of fantasy. i'll collect bbi if i want straight up military.

yes, i have seen pre 1987 joes, and you know what? they all look the same. part of it is the colors, part of it is that they re-used parts over and over, but to me those figures are just drab. i'm a joe child of the late 80s, early 90s. i need a little bit of fantasy. i'll collect bbi if i want straight up military.

early 90's.... that explains it, you have no clue what GiJoe is all about..

well wait, didn't you see the RAHC 2-packs right before GvC came out? those were good figures also.

I love the description:

HOT!HOT!HOT! NEW!NEW!NEW! No Box & Manual This auction would make a great gift for any transformers fan or fun to add to your own collection. Thanks for looking! Email me for more pic

great for any transformer fan....

well wait, didn't you see the RAHC 2-packs right before GvC came out? those were good figures also.

#US1# True,True. I believe the Joes and Cobras of 83-86 Were the best ever made. Plenty of great characters were introduced between those years that were exciting and colorful, induvidual and unique, WITHOUT having to resort to neon or talking backpacks or um other stuff. The point is they were original ideas that was low on gimmicks and that's what made them so great. #US1#

i think that's a little pretentious to say. and by that i mean, extremely pretentious to say. just because gi joe started out as drab military figures that all look the same, doesn't mean that's what they're "all about". and you were very selective in your response. you said "early 90s" i assume you're thinking 93, 94 when joes went crazy neon...but i specifically said "late 80s, early 90s" which clearly states what joe era i belong to. in my opinion the best joes come from the late 80s, when there was just the right mix of fantasy and reality.

if you've been hating joes for the past 17 years, why are you still collecting them? newsflash: joes will never go back to being skinny, plain, drab colored, 100% military figures where each figure uses 90% of another figure's parts. if you've been waiting for that since 1987, you are a sad sad man.

it is entirely snobby and stupid to say that i have no idea what joe is about simply because i prefer the joes of the late 80s over the joes of the early to mid 80s. if this board is that elitist, i can't imagine why you still collect joes at all.

newsflash: joes will never go back to being skinny, plain, drab colored, 100% military figures where each figure uses 90% of another figure's parts. if you've been waiting for that since 1987, you are a sad sad man.

Joes were only drab, sharing each other's parts IN 1982 as soon as 1983 came, the Joe became entirely induvidual. There's nothing wrong with liking late 80's joes, but by that time hasbro was past it's creative peak, hence all the repaints Tiger Force, Python Patrol, Night Force, Slaughter's marauders were all repaints of 83-86 characters. If you like late 80's Joes, i.e. Crystal Ball, Falacon, Cobra-La, Toxo-Viper, that's fine.

But it's pretty safe to says the Joes of 83-86 were superior to any other line before or since. Remember, after the first wave of 1982, the parts sharin' skinny drab joes had ceased to exist. They were military themed, far from realistic, but never got as far "out there" as the Joes after the movie and before the line got cancelled in '94 got.

There's nothing wrong with liking late 80's joes, but by that time hasbro was past it's creative peak, hence all the repaints Tiger Force, Python Patrol, Night Force, Slaughter's marauders were all repaints of 83-86 characters.

I dont think thats true: night force was an exclusive line: and like all exclusive lines they were repaints, Exclusives don't have the volume not to be.

IMO Tiger Force, Python Patrol and Slaughter's Marauders happened for the same reason that 2 years previously Hasbro had to import toys for lines other than Diaclone and Microman for Transformers: Demand was outstriping supply, though in this case wasn't because of Finitew numbers of mold's rather finite numbers of sculptors and designers: they needed More product on the shelves,and were already working flat-out, remember ythey came out in the 2 year's when the second largest number of new figures were been introduced to date, the previous being the year before. (and even that depends on which series you consider Battle Force 2000 to "really" belong to).

It wasn't they were running out of creativity: they were just swamped by the volume of the market and the popularity of the line.

The inlcussion of Tiger Force into European the line was less explicable given that at the time Europe wasn't getting the entire regular line....but i guess it was considered a Cool look...

There's nothing wrong with liking late 80's joes, but by that time hasbro was past it's creative peak, hence all the repaints Tiger Force, Python Patrol, Night Force, Slaughter's marauders were all repaints of 83-86 characters.

I dont think thats true: night force was an exclusive line: and like all exclusive lines they were repaints, Exclusives don't have the volume not to be.

IMO Tiger Force, Python Patrol and Slaughter's Marauders happened for the same reason that 2 years previously Hasbro had to import toys for lines other than Diaclone and Microman for Transformers: Demand was outstriping supply, though in this case wasn't because of Finitew numbers of mold's rather finite numbers of sculptors and designers: they needed More product on the shelves,and were already working flat-out, remember ythey came out in the 2 year's when the second largest number of new figures were been introduced to date, the previous being the year before. (and even that depends on which series you consider Battle Force 2000 to "really" belong to).

It wasn't they were running out of creativity: they were just swamped by the volume of the market and the popularity of the line.

The inlcussion of Tiger Force into European the line was less explicable given that at the time Europe wasn't getting the entire regular line....but i guess it was considered a Cool look...

Valid points as well, but the most popular feeling is that the 83-86 lines were better designed, more thought out character design, and the reason that hasbro had to rush out repaints to meet the demand of Joe.

The 83-86 lines were directly responsible for the huge Joe demand of the late 80's. And the way Hasbro dealt with that demand caused the interest in the line to slow down. Battleforce 2000 was a great Joe line that was highly creative, but since they were made in 87-88, I do not consider them among the creative peak of 83-86.

Well its maybe not the most pupular opinion, but IMO some of the 87-91 are simply the best molds and characters from RAH, Hit and Run, Tunnel Rat, Outback, Bull Horn, Big Ben (however overused his mold became later) shockwave, Recoil, backblast, Downtown, Salvo...

And this is coming from someone who was arround for the origionals as well.

Well its maybe not the most pupular opinion, but IMO some of the 87-91 molds and characters from RAH, Hit and Run, Tunnel Rat, Outback, Bull Horn, Big Ben (however overused his mold became later) shockwave, Recoil, backblast, Downtown, Salvo...

Well its maybe not the most pupular opinion, but IMO some of the 87-91 molds and characters from RAH, Hit and Run, Tunnel Rat, Outback, Bull Horn, Big Ben (however overused his mold became later) shockwave, Recoil, backblast, Downtown, Salvo...

Yes those are all great figures, Budo, Storm Shadow v2, Stalker v2 etc. But almost EVERY character from the 83-86 lines was great, whereas the 87-91 just a handful were great the line experienced a steady decline until the cancellation.

Yes those are all great figures, Budo, Storm Shadow v2, Stalker v2 etc. But almost EVERY character from the 83-86 lines was great, whereas the 87-91 just a handful were great the line experienced a steady decline until the cancellation.

Its notable though that the "best" years from the point of view of the bulk of the Fandoms for Both Transformers G1 and Gi Joe were actaully the same years, the cynical part of me wonders if the age demogaphic of the current fans of both now is similar.....