Cgi Masterpiece Optimus Prime

tgg7979

Hi, Im new around here, not been posting long. Im an amateur 3d artist. Well, I finally decided to model something new, well, sorta new. Since I recently got a 20th anniversary Optimus Prime figure, Im using that as the reference to build a new, much better Prime mesh. My first could definitely be better:(

Primev1finishshot.jpg

Heres a couple pics of what Ive got so far. Theres still plenty of detail to add to the pieces u see here, as u guys well know.

newprimewip1.jpg

newprimewip2.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice start... I myself am a 3d artist... very difficult field to find a job in lemme tell ya that...

what's your program of choice?

Maya 5 here...

Keep posting updates every now and then, I'd like to see (as I'm sure many others would) how it comes along... so far I've yet to make a Transformer as I don't understand enough about mechanics to make 'em work... but this you got here is an excellent start.

Goodluck.

Post updates.

A little advice, to make him transform I would model each piece seperately and pay close attention to where you place your pivot points. Are you going to rig him with Character Studio or use Max's bones?

I work as a 3d artist as well using max 5, but have max 6 here at home.

Yeah, everything is being modeled seperately. Im already goin over how to transform him. Due to the nautre of his transform, I cna manually keyframe in the transform. I dont know character studio or the bones well at all, I may end up tryin to find help gettin that set up usin either of those.

A Magnus repaint and trailer ot go along eh? Maybe... Maybe...

Well, Ive got the final shape worked out, everything here is new except for the head, which is a temporary stand-in from my V1 Prime mesh. Now to go through and remove areas that need it and continuing fleshing out all the aprts.

newprimewip4.jpg

I havent done much, but hes got wheels and tires now. I couldnt resist, so I backed up my wip and started to do something with him. This is just roughly moving pieces, but here is his truck mode, so far...

In doing this, I realized I need your guys help. I intend to build a full trailer for him, and I wanted some help in coming with a masterpiece trailer, everything, inside and out. Any of u have any ideas or comments, concepts, anything. feel free to post em, please...

newprimewip5.jpg

Still workin on him. Ive got alot of the parts I need built, still have some inner pieces to do, and the head and hands, as well as more detailing on existing pieces. Doesnt look much different in a normal render so I overlaid a wireframe shot so u can see the development more.

newprimewip7.jpg

Thnx guys, I keep thinking his legs look too short tho, but Ive triple checekd em, so they gotta be right. Right??

Btw SciFi, have u by chance checked your trailer against the cardboard one to see how cose they are dimensionally. Im thinking ahead to modleing the trailer and want to get on idea how big I should make it.

My trailer is about 1 1/2 longer but about 1/4 inch thinner. If your wanting a more G1 accurate trailer you need to make it wider than the truck like the cardboard trailer. My trailer is more accurate to a real semi's trailer where the cab and the trailer are the same width for aerodynamics purposes. Sine he's a masterpiece either version works, since it's full of scale oddities.

edit- notice how far my custom trailer sets back from the cab? I had it setting alot closer for a more real world look but decided to move it further towards the rear becuase people were so use to seeing it that far back on G1 optimus.