Comments About G.i. Joe Season One On Dvd.

Cobra_Saboteur

Hi, back to the boards. Just wanted to know. What do you guys think about Rhino's recent release of G.I. Joes season one on DVD? Good? Bad? Hate it? Love it? or needs work. Personally I haven't seen it yet, but people say good things about it. I recently purchased the bootleg episodes at a convention, and the quality was o.k., but not great. So here's a forum to voice your opinion (s). Cobra_Saboteur.

I like them quite a lot actually. I never had a chance to see all the episodes as a kid and it's nice going back down memory lane to see al the 5 parters in its entirety :) The quality is top notch, but Rhino did an awesome job with the Transformers DVD sets, so I wasn't surprised to see the GI Joe set be solid too

Yeah. I agree. I have G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, the two disc set from Rhino and the quality is pretty good. However, I really wish they would have included some more bonus material with the dvds. Have you guys actually checked out the bootleg versions yet? Let me know. Cobra_Saboteur.

I have only been able to watch the first two discs so far, but I love it. the quality is excellent and it really brings back memories of getting home from school to watch it on tv.

I'm getting my set as a gift for Valentine's. So I'll have to wait till after then before I can comment. If it's anything like the other Joe DVD's then I'm sure it's top notch. I can't wait to be able to see all these episodes again.

I have only been able to watch the first two discs so far, but I love it. the quality is excellent and it really brings back memories of getting home from school to watch it on tv.

Yeah I totally agree.........I've actually gotten through all 4 discs....and I love the set. I think its great and I can't wait to show my kids when I get older. Bring on Part 2!!!! #US1#

I can't find it anywhere, I have look all over the place. Last night I went to 5 different places (not to mention the other places that I went to before last night) that sell DVDs and none of them had it. I guess I'm just going to have to order it online.

I just received my GI Joe DVD set in the mail yesterday and packaging is similar to the Transformers box sets. I probably should have bought it at the store, found one at Circuit City for 39.99 since shipping took too long for me. I was happy to find out "A Real American Hero" and "The Revenge of Cobra" episodes were not on this disc since I bought G.I.Joe: Mini-Series Set 1 last year.

My friend who bought bootleg episodes with Marvel and Image comic book covers on ebay last year showed me a few episodes and they are okay..kinda VHS converted to DVD format quality. He also said that these DVDs don't play in some of the older DVD players that can't read DVD-r so he had to show it to me on computer DVD-rom.

The first disc he should me didn't have like a root menu too, I think. No special features such as interviews on these bootlegs discs if I'm talking about the right ones.

Yeah, I know. I had a hard time finding the "G.I. Joe: A Real American Heor" two disc set myself. But once I tracked it down, it was well worth the effort. The quality is awesome. Also I have some of the bootleg DVD's and they're alright, but its not the best quality and it shows. Also, if you're having a hard time finding it you can order online, or special order it from any video or music store. Thanks for making this a great discusion. Cobra_Saboteur.

so far so good...

i only managed to get through the first disc and half of the second.

i do have a question though.

anyone notice that they are using the wrong beginning?? the pyramid of darkness has the right beginning, but the episodes after that have the beginning from season 2. am i totally wrong here??

other than that, they are great, can't wait to watch the rest.

hey do they interrupt the program with the commercial break screens (i.e. "and now back to G.I. Joe", etc)like the mini-series did?

Yeah it still has the interruptions....I don't mind it though....thats as complete as it can be....plus thats how they were shown. Also like on the second disc...it changes the beginning....to the season 2 beginning with Serpentor and Slaughter in it. I don't know the reasoning behind this but its kinda weird.

The opening thing is kind of weird, but as long as they have the right version somewhere that's okay with me. I believe that many of these episods were aired as repeats, but with the new opening to avoid confusion. I'll bet the masters were cut up this way and Rhino just didn't bother to put them back. I think it is funny though that they actually record the opening track to the DVD for each episode. Why not just put it there once and ten play it at the beginning via extended branching? Its a waste of disc space if you ask me. Anyway, the Video and Audio are both fantastic. I am still amazed at how well these shows hold up after 20 years. They look like they could have been animated yeaterday. I like the new sound effects too, but a lot of people don't. Not to worry, the original tracks are on the discs and can be selected from the audio menu. That should keep everyone happy. I'd check Circuit City for the set as they seem to have plenty where I am at. It's $39.99 there. I really can't wait for future sets!

Hi, thanks for making this an interesting discusion. I know how you feel. Not too long ago. I bought episodes of G.I. Joe on VHS from Rhino and they did the same thing. Most of the tapes I have from them are pretty good, but they tend to jump around from season to season; you can tell by the different opening seasons. And it's really kind of weird. Also, for some strange reason, most of the Bootleg tapes or DVD's seem to be the same way. It would be a lot easier if Rhino released the tapes in order. I really don't understand why they didn't want to bother. But when F.H.E (Family Home Entertainment), realesed G.I. Joe on VHS they did a better job, and released all the tapes in sequential order. Maybe Rhino didn't really want to bother editing the tapes and arranging them in order. If you look at the two disc set of "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero", they didn't even bother to edit out the commercial break sequences. But I'm not surprised they've done it before with some of their other projects/releases. Cobra_Saboteur.