Review Vs. Review For 2/5

ssdsus

Ummm, why do we have someone reviewing it who hates repaints and won't grade them fairly? Otherwise, it was pretty cool.

Because my partner wanted to review repaints. And to be honest, I did grade them fairly. If I thought any of them were good, I would have said so. I did like Wreckage, after all, haha.

Ok, this is a weird problem I have with this set......there's a black Cobra soldier. I don't like it, Cobra has never had any black soldiers at any point, and this figure looks quite unnatural mixed in with the rest of the troops. I've always envisioned Cobra as kinda white supremesist, which would fit in with the rest of their anti-government views. I can't explain it, but I don't think there should be any black troops in Cobra.
Whoa there, thats a little extreme, and I dont remeber a single time (in T.V. ,comic ect.) when cobra was racist. I think its great that they puy a black soldier in, i was hoping for latino but no prob.

@cobracommander@ : word, my homie slice. PEACE OUT.

WOW...that was my first read of those guys...it will DEFINTELY be my last, somehow I picture comic book guy from simpsons. I wonder why people like this even collect as it seems to bring them no joy. Instead of b*tching and complaining I wish these guys would use all that effort to build a time machine and go back to 1983

WOW...that was my first read of those guys...it will DEFINTELY be my last, somehow I picture comic book guy from simpsons. I wonder why people like this even collect as it seems to bring them no joy.

I wish I knew how you drew that conclusion from our reviews, because both of us really enjoy collecting GI Joe. I like most of the new figures, I just don't like repaints. And if I'm not going to be honest in the review and say what I like and DON'T LIKE, then there is no reason for us to write a review at all. Be honest, do you really think that all of the new toys are excellent? Don't you have things you wish they did differently?

Of course you do. So how does me pointing out what I want to see differently mean I don't enjoy collecting Joe? I may complain and gripe, but I obviously like Joe if I take the time to actually write reviews of the toys that are out there. And I LIKE the new toys, for the most part.....even if they are pretty hideous, haha.

Frank wanted to review the Cobra Infantry set this week, but I don't like it and won't buy it. So, that's where that review comes from. If you'd like to read about a figure we both liked, check out the review of the new Ace figure.

Some of you get the reviews, some of you don't. If you read it and think "why are these guys always bitching!", then you don't get it. Just move on, don't read them, and allow the people who appreciate two guys speaking their minds and making some funny observations to enjoy them.

Louis

http://gijoe-comic.tripod.com

hey SSDSUS....i may have missed it, but i don't think you guys mentioned anything about the head size of these guys...i haven't seen them yet in person but it seems that thier heads are abnormally 'thin'.... at least in the pic's i've seen....true/not true?

hey SSDSUS....i may have missed it, but i don't think you guys mentioned anything about the head size of these guys...i haven't seen them yet in person but it seems that thier heads are abnormally 'thin'.... at least in the pic's i've seen....true/not true?

Frank does mention the fact that he thinks they made new smaller heads to make them fit in better with the new scult figures. If that's the reason they switched to these new tiny heads, that's pretty dumb. People are buying these to mix in with their RAH figures, not new sculpt figures. Personally, I don't think they look that thin, I just wish they had the original heads.

i dunno to me it does seem like you guys hate everything new. you hated the new wild weasel for some inexplicable reason, and even complained that "he had a muscular chest". uhm....why is that a bad thing?

Because he's got a six pack showing through what looks like a leather suit, but it was Frank that didn't like that, not me. And no matter how many times I look at the new Wild Weasel, I think he looks lame. He's just so damn plain, like a Corps! figure.

Out of the new sculpt toys, here are the figures I liked from the last year (just assume I don't like the rest, hahaha):

2004 - Heavy Duty (repaint), Scarlett, Mindbender, Ace

2003 - Destro, HEavy Waters, Faces, Torpedo, Crosshair, Dart, Flint, Duke, Grunt, Ripcord, Kamakura, Lady Jaye, Red Spot, Roadblock, Shipwreck, Wide Scope, Wild Bill, Black Out, Burnout, BAT, CC, CLAWS Commander, Iron Grenadier, Neo-Viper, Night Creeper, Over Kill, Ripper, Sand Viper, Scalpel, Tele-Viper, Zarana, Barrel Roll, Big Brawler

That's more than half of the figures release in 2003 that I like. I don't like repaints, or the RAH repaints. If I give a figure 3 stars or more, I like it. My reviews reflect that. And just looking over my reviews now, there are only a few figures I didn't give at least 3 stars to (2004 Shipwreck, Alley Viper II, Wild Weasel, and the repaint sets). Just because I point out a certain aspect of a figure that I don't like doesn't mean I hate the figure.

Louis

People are buying these to mix in with their RAH figures, not new sculpt figures.

Some people are some people aren't: I'm planing to do both, as I have with preceeding figures too.

Personally, I don't think they look that thin, I just wish they had the original heads.

I'm with Hasbro on this one: though, the existing headswere pretty weak,sculpt wise, very flat and wide compared to other "visible flesh" RAH heads, this didn't show up so much then, but compared to the headsculpts of 1985 onwards they do look a bit odd.

But then IMO they likely have new heads because the old head molds had deteriouated too far to still be usable, and the New sculpt heads look more like the current ones, because they've beeen sculpted by the same team.....

Just want to say that i enjoy reading these reviews. I may not always agree with your opinions but at least they are entertaining to read! Keep it up. I know i will continue to check them out.

Ok, this is a weird problem I have with this set......there's a black Cobra soldier. I don't like it, Cobra has never had any black soldiers at any point, and this figure looks quite unnatural mixed in with the rest of the troops. I've always envisioned Cobra as kinda white supremesist, which would fit in with the rest of their anti-government views. I can't explain it, but I don't think there should be any black troops in Cobra.

i found that very offensive, being racists is just plain out evil.

if you thought cobra was a white supremesist's then you are wrong buddy. if he was why did his general's or something like destro(scottish) storm shadow(japenese) and baroness(i don't know but russian or something). and many more of his soliders are from other parts of the world so there cobra is not a white supremesist and i will never believe that.

umm Kenshin, Destro is scottish and Baroness is probably Russian yes, but they are both caucasion. So other than your mention of stormy, that's pretty moot.

But correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Destro voiced by a black guy in the toon? Anyways it really doesn't matter.

I'm a visible minority and I actually agree with these guys on that point ONLY because I base my joe universe on the cartoon. I grew up watching the toon and my universe plays by the toon, and all I ever saw were white Cobra soldiers, so yes the black soldier does look out of place to me as well.

Does that make me racist? Hell I wish there were more Latinos and Indians (East Indian not native) in the team, so much so that I tend to think of Alpine as Indian and not Black just of how he was illlustrated in the toon.

I really don't have a hard time accepting that Cobra would be supremists, is CC another Hitler? Not in my universe, race is not the biggest issue for my Cobras, money is. But like I said, I like to pattern my universe with the cartoon and although it's a nice gester on the part of Hasbro to include a black trooper, I really could care less.

i found that very offensive, being racists is just plain out evil.if you thought cobra was a white supremesist's then you are wrong buddy. if he was why did his general's or something like destro(scottish) storm shadow(japenese) and baroness(i don't know but russian or something). and many more of his soliders are from other parts of the world so there cobra is not a white supremesist and i will never believe that.

I have no idea what is so offensive about what I said, all I did was point out that Cobra has never had any minorities in their ranks and theorized why that may be. If you chose to never try and explain it before and just assumed there were other races running around, that's up to you. I didn't.

As far as the members of Cobra proving that Cobra are not white supremesists......I don't think you understand racism. It's based on race, not where you come from. Every member of Cobra except Storm Shadow is of European decent. I'm not sure if you've ever heard Daniel Carver (or however that jackass spells his name) on Howard Stern, but he sometimes gives some great insight into racism and the KKK. There is a hierarchy in their minds. Asian isn't that high on the list, there's a bunch of races they hate even more. So even Stormy being around wouldn't prove that much. However, the new set of figures has changed all that. I think it's a GOOD thing, it's just weird is all. Where have all of the rest of the minorities been hiding this last 20 years? At least you can agree with me on this, Cobra is NOT an equal opportunity employer, hahaha.

Louis