Favorite Marvel Joe Comic?

Devilbat

The whole favorite character thread from each medium got me to thinking: what is your favorite comic from the classic Marvel books? So many for me come to mind, and any issue that Rod Wingham illustrated did it for me; but which one stands out to you the most because of the characters or events that were showcased?

Oh man...I don't remember which issue number it was; I know I still have it in my old Joe comic box in the attic, but it was in the twenties I think. It was the issue where Spirit and Airborne were sent to Snake-Eyes' cabin to retrieve him, and Firefly and Destro also showed up to "dispose" of him. It blew my mind as a kid 'cause it was a story built around all of my favorite Joes and Cobras at the time (except Storm Shadow-at least I don't THINK he was in that one...). Great artwork, great story, awesome action, and favorite characters, all in one issue. Sweet. I think a close second would be the dogfight issue between Ace and Wild Weasel.

I'm sorry y'all; this may have been done many times before, but I was just inspired by the whole "favorite character" thread, and I had to share...

My favorite would have to be a tie between issue 21 (the silent issue) or issue 23-24 (the capture of CC) I LOVED Ninja's back in the 80's, and was SO excited about Storm Shadow. It was great art, and great storytelling. God, I could not wait til the next issue! And the grocery store i got my comics at skipped issue 25, and there were no comic stores around back then. I waited 10 years to finally get an issue 25! And it STILL was worth the wait!

Devil Bat I have the whole collection right here beside me. I'll do some research and find out which issue it is. For me 21 was the best. When I was a kid it was all about the art for me. Well this was the first time I had to pay real attention to the art to get the story. It still affects me to this day. Every comic I read (about 40-50 a week) I pay close attention to the art. It tell a story too.

I didn't start collecting the Marvel run untill issue #22, so, I missed "Silent Interlude" the first time around. (I did get the 'digest' version though :) ) I'm trying to think of favorite stories, but, more covers come to mind.

-Favorite story

#21 - Silent Interlude (silent issue)

#26 - Snake Eyes' Origin

#73 - Ace vs the Rattler

-Favorite covers

#27, #33, #38, #42, #46 :D, #47, #48, #60

Does the "Snake Eyes' cabin" cover have Destro standing over SE?, that is also one of my all-time favorites (up there w/ #46)

Yes BR, that was it man. Sheesh, what a cool cover. Snake-Eyes is just lying there with Destro standing at the door as if to say, "You ain't NOTHIN'!!" How could any Snake-Eyes/Destro fan pass up a comic like that??

And nov316, thanks for the heads up. I knew it was either in the twenties or thirties. But man wasn't Rod Wingham's art awesome? It seemed to suit the Joes perfectly. Is he even doing comics any more? I'd like to know. And I agree with you dude; pictures can tell a complete story, and that's also the big draw for me concerning comics as well. (No pun intended there...) (lol) The art's gotta be good or I just ain't interested.

Arashikage Storm: Dude, that's an awesome story there my friend. It actually took me back instantly to those great days of standing in front of the comic rack in the local grocery store I used to go to on Saturdays with my parents to find that latest issue of the G.I. Joe comic. Great times.

...and ain't it great when you find brand new copies of all those great old issues you grew up with? Boy you guys are taking be back...

I don't have any specific favorite issues...but I prefer the earliest comics over the later. Larry's earliest stories with the Baroness, Destro, Scarface and Kwinn are my favorite...around issues 10-18...I really enjoyed the whole run though, especially the Snake Eyes trilogy.

My favorite Marvel comic was the original GiJoe and Transformers. On the cover of issue one Duke and the Joes blow Up Bummble Bee. @loll@ @loll@ And on the cover of Number four Mind Bender, Serprentor and a Sexy Baroness share the company with Omega Supreme and Blaster. #US1# But to be honest the new dreamwave Gijoe and transformers is a million times better. #US1#

MX, that sounds like issue 10. That was a pretty good one. I like the opening of the new Pitt in #33 the most.

I'd have to say that issue #109 and #113 were the most tragic, due to all the joe deaths in those issues. But they were great reads.

Also, #98, the return of the original Cobra Commander.