Do Pets Exist In Your Joe Univers....

Chazz

so what do ya'll think about g.ijoes having "pets" ? alot of figures from RAH had them and i was wondering do you acknowledge them or simply toss them aside.

when i was younger and played with my joes every figure that came with an animal i used them in the game except for timber. in my joe universe timber has never existed. even as a kid i could never imagine why a ninja/commando would have a timber wolf following him around every mission.

now that i'm older i rarely ever use "pets" in my games. polly no longer exist, his big mouth would have been got shipwreck killed on a mission. i don't use croc master's croc, knawgahyde's wart hog, voltar's condor because they realy don't serve them a purpose. IMO the only joes that need their "pets" are mutt and law. especialy mutt, whenever i play with my joes and use him 9 out of 10 junkyard is by it's side. i also use raptor's bird because he's a pretty stupid character that can use all the help that he can get @lol@

even though Spirit doesn't realy need freedom i just like the idea of it. on missions freedom can fly overhead and doesn't need to be in the way like polly. even displayed with freedom on spirit's arm they look like the perfect team. in games i usualy make freedom swoop down to help distract or disarm a cobra so spirit can take advantage of the situation. #US1#

snake eyes uses timber when needed in my joe verse, wide scope uses his dog, law uses his, freedom is still with spirit, but that damn polly hit broadway and left shipwrecks sorry @$$ behind.

The animals where a favorite aspect of mine as a kid and they still are. Sadly we haven't had a good animal figure since the reralease Law and Order. I want a new Timber and Polly!

Draven #US1#

I always used the pets when I was younger, but now all I use are my old Junkyard and Timber (the dog that comes with the Snow Serpent) because those are all that I have right now.

I am and always was a dog lover, so of course the Joes that came with them stood out as favorites. But I also think that there's a limit on how many animals should be running around. But the image of Timber to me going right along with Snake-Eyes just always stood out as very cool to me; the lone, silent ninja/commando that shared a special bond with what Native Americans see as a spiritual and noble animal. It's just cool. And I ripped the idea off of JayC actually to include the GvsC Snow Serpent's "wolf" as the new Timber for my new Snake-Eyes figures. And The whole thing with Spirit and Freedom...yeah, I dug it as a kid and I still do.

But like I said there's a limit IMO, so I don't like the little bobcat(?) thing that came with Spearhead, of the fox that came with Dusty later on in RAH. But I never saw the croc that came with Croc Master a specific pet. I mean, I know they're ALL his babies form what I remember, but it's a case where it makes sense for the character instead of having the obligatory human-with-an-animal character with every other wave.

The animals were part of my Joe universe as a kid - problem is that I never had either Mutt or Spirit so Junkyard and Freedom were never part of the equation. At least I had Timber with Snake-Eyes

I've never used the more exotic animals but the dogs have allways(and allways will be)a part of my team(well except Timber and Sandstorm).

I also repainted extra Lamont's and gave him to Tripwire and Cutter(as bomb and drug sniffing dogs respectfully)

I have been a huge fan of the pets since I was a kid. I still use them. Timber is one of those pets, that it depends on the mission. If snake eyes is out in the woods tracking someone then yeah timbers with him, but when he's infiltrating a terror drome, no timber isn;t crawling throught air shafts with him.

I don't really use the sea animals. Brarcudas and sting rays are hard to train I'd think. I don't have Deep six's dophin, so I've never made that call.

But birds and dogs are highly trainable animals, so I use them. My polly doesn't talk much. (I use max and timber, even if they are pushing the envelope a little.)

When I was a kid I had a toy black bear cub that I used to give to Footloose who was one of my favs as a kid.

The CrocMaster is great, in the GI Joe yearbook one year they had him defending the swamps of Cobra Island with his animals.

I think the animals make an important contribution and usually are realistic.

Even Raptor makes sense, using his birds to track the GI Joe team.

I love the use of pets. They aren't quit as inteligent as they were depicted in the toon but I think the use of animals are great. I thought a really cool way to make the Shipwreck figure unique that came in the Cobra Mountain playset would have been to include a Pauly with it.

......i like the dogs...it makes sense to me using them as they do in real life..[sniffing out drugs,,,guarding the perimeter etc.]

...and i like the 'croc'....i wish hasbro would come out with a few more dogs..and maybe some accessaries...i'm thinking like a pack harness type thing....

Even Raptor makes sense, using his birds to track the GI Joe team.

Yeah man; as goofy as he seemed from time to time, I always liked Raptor, and the idea of someone training deadly birds to attack people just always seemed so sinister and perfect for a Cobra whacko IMO.

Kinda makes me think of what Spirit would have turned out like were he evil and joined Cobra. Huh! I never looked at it that way! Cool.

• 16 years later...