Mr. Hasbro Sir!

Ccav

ok...I thought...what would I ask the guy in charge at Hasbro during the Con.

I sat and thought Hard about it, thinking of intelligent reasons..and or reasoning of why Hasbro continues on this course...of what we call JVC/V3 ...I read this topic at Joe Customs ...Are Their any Joe fans at Hasbro? ...and after reading that I figured out my question..

ok..bad colors and silly Action Attack features are made to target a young audience. yet why would anyone think that a 6-12 year old..thinks bright colored military figures are cool?....I asked my nephew this the pther day...I showed him Copper head from RAH, and NF Crazy Legs..he picked Crazy Legs..I asked

"why did you pick him?"

he replied "because he looks like Airplane guy"

so then I took Spytroops NF Duke, and Buttplug duke and told him to pick which one he liked.. He picked BUTT-PLUG DUKE!!!

So I asked why

"He looks like a military guy"

I said what about that button?

he says "wow cool"..proceeds to hit it twice , then says..his legs are different.

this kid is 7, he sees the the difference in colors..and AA, is it so hard for hasbro to stay attuned to what sold G.I.Joe back in the 80's...is Hasbro saying we were dumb kids for buying realistic military style Action Figures?

what gives, if A kid wants a military figure..he isnt looking for hightech..hes looking for NF crazy Legs...

If hasbro is using neon to attract kids that are not in to Joe...then the Corporate sceme will fail as it did in 93, the Joe line MUST stay true to its Rootes or end up in the gutter as it did in 93...when the success of the line was destroyed by hasbro trying to stay in the COOL of the time...its not about the time..its about the characters...sure Mustaches maybe out...but they were in the 80's...its called CHARACTER...giving everyone a goatee..is not giving them character. I only say this as I know about what happened with wabe one when Hasbro corp's said O-rings were out.......WTF..who is running these companies these days?

logic has escped even the simplest minds

what are your thoughts..and please dont bash...lets try to have a intelligent discussion.

i might not be right on target here but when i was in the fourth grade and my friend brought in the catalog for the 86 joes i stared all day at the sci-fi and lifeline figures. i was drawn to the solid colors. so either there is something to it or i was just slightly ##$%$#ed. either one is plausible.

i might not be right on target here but when i was in the fourth grade and my friend brought in the catalog for the 86 joes i stared all day at the sci-fi and lifeline figures. i was drawn to the solid colors. so either there is something to it or i was just slightly ##$%$#ed. either one is plausible.

No, you're not ##$%$#ed. Those figures were two of my favorites and still are. And you know why? Because they were the first of their kind (besides the bright and excellent Blowtorch). Even Cobra, for all their wacky colors schemes, were still muted at the time.

Something else we have to consider is that neon IS acceptable, but only in certain situations. When I see a acid green Sci-fi with silver and black highlights, I say sure, that's a laser trooper. Makes some sense since it's a futuristic specialty. And Lifeline in red and white--international colors of medical aid--makes perfect sense.

But when you've got a guy in an orange vest on a night force team. Well, three words come to mind. WTF.

Personally, I think the most important thing anyone can ask Hasbro is this: "Where is the sense in all of this?"

A neon rock climber.

An ATV with no ground clearance.

A patrol boat armed like a battleship.

A mortar soldier with no mortar.

Wierd proportions. Wierd colors. Poor/ careless accessory choices.

A Rattler with no gunner canopy. (who the hell are they fighting here? The Red Baron?)

Damn, I love my Joes, but I do sometimes wonder if there is any logic behind them anymore.

And oh yeah, C-Cav, I read the thread over at Joecustoms, too. Very intelligent and well thought out. It's a good topic. #US1#

My only problem with your train of thought on this one CobraCavalier, is the fact that your nephew did indeed pick the Butt Plug Duke, which totally makes everything you said debunked and null. Him picking the AA Duke shows that kids do like little action features and what not. You failed to mention that. Yes your nephew and other kids do know the difference between boring and action and it seems they will go for action all the time. We have to remember the kids of this generation didnt grow up the way we did, so they do see things alot different than us. Now by no means do I agree with the whole "Action Attack" feature so dont go saying oh Zod loves Action Attack. The only action attack I enjoy is the action my hands make when it attacks my...well u get the idea @smilepunch@ . If anything Hasbro could make a subline, along the lines of BTR, that had all the action features and whatnot, instead of mixing them up with the regular figures. Now I do agree with King James(no relation to the basketball star I suppose?) that whoever works at Hasbro needs to ask some serious questions on the feasibilty of things. I mean really whats the deal with the Rattler, Hiss IV and the Sand Razor? How come a RedSpot doesnt have a laser gun? How come Shipwreck cant even fit his gun in his holster...better yet where the hell do you get a short sleeve sweater? These are simple things that Hasbro could and should fix but because they either a)dont care, b)to lazy to fix it, c)know we will accept it, or d) dont want to waste money redoing it, they arent doing it. I think its a little from all the columns, but mainly I think they really could give a flying #$### what we want and they really dont care like they used to. They give us just enough to shut up and then when we get they spite it by @##@@ it up anyway. And you know what...we collectors still buy it. Anywy I digress though....kids do like neon and do like Action Attack, but Hasbro should be more vigilant in QC when it comes to one of their flagship lines.

I also feel that Hasbro needs to stick to its roots, My g/f has a 6 yr old son who I performed a similar experiment, I showed him a 1989 Snake eyes and then the VvsV snake eyes he chose the 89 one. When i asked him why he replied because he looks like he is a ninja. Hasbro needs to see why these kids are choosing the older toys over the new ones. instead of taking a whole new neon approach they should re-vamp the older bodies from 89-91 lines to me that was some of the best joes to come out of Hasbro. What would it hurt to have a 89 Snakeyes re-sculpted with the new detail. More defined chest, more detailed face, larger arms and more detailed legs? but keep the color scheme the same, all the way down to the butterfly knives on the chest.

Stick to what you know, sometimes newer isnt always better.

My feedback:

*Go back to metal shoulder rivets so the shoulders will quit being so bulky. I'm sure you might have to spend $0.01 more for the metal ones than the plastic ones, but it'll give bettr results than what we've been seeing with plastic rivets

*Quit making the Joes look like cartoon characters with "Gundam" proportions of big arms, small torsos, and small legs with big feet, and start giving them realistic faces and proportions again

*If you still have a lot of classic vehicle molds, then why not use them more often? I'll bet a WHALE reissue packaged as part of the new line will collect less dust on store shelves than a lot of what I'm already seeing. Yah I know the routine; every time you guys come up with a bright idea, you let Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or someone else talk you into making it exclusive. A little less of that wouldn't kill you, either.

*You don't have to make something blatantly childish in order for it to appeal to kids. Just look at the Beast Wars cartoon for example. The BW/BM series lasted longer than any other TF series in terms of # of seasons, so a bit more mature writing for the series apparently served the TF's well. Why not try a similar approach with the Joes?

My feedback:

*Go back to metal shoulder rivets so the shoulders will quit being so bulky. I'm sure you might have to spend $0.01 more for the metal ones than the plastic ones, but it'll give bettr results than what we've been seeing with plastic rivets

*Quit making the Joes look like cartoon characters with "Gundam" proportions of big arms, small torsos, and small legs with big feet, and start giving them realistic faces and proportions again

*If you still have a lot of classic vehicle molds, then why not use them more often? I'll bet a WHALE reissue packaged as part of the new line will collect less dust on store shelves than a lot of what I'm already seeing. Yah I know the routine; every time you guys come up with a bright idea, you let Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, or someone else talk you into making it exclusive. A little less of that wouldn't kill you, either.

*You don't have to make something blatantly childish in order for it to appeal to kids. Just look at the Beast Wars cartoon for example. The BW/BM series lasted longer than any other TF series in terms of # of seasons, so a bit more mature writing for the series apparently served the TF's well. Why not try a similar approach with the Joes?

Once again I will probably get the boot for this, but the metal rivets thing isnt that big of a deal. I mean really I think its good for them to put the plastic rivets instead of the metal ones. Why you ask..simple...kids break toys. Why put a ton of money into a metal rivet joe when 9 out of 10 kids put it in their mouth or destroy it. I mean thats a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. If they just put the joes to proportion to each other and ask them self smart questions concernicng QC then its all butter baby. I mean we all know...or assume that Roadblock is taller than TunneRat so make it so. Also I hate to bust everyones bubble but I went back and looked and no where did it say certain figures were shorter, taller bigger, smaller than another one. We jut like to think they are. It could very well be that Scarlett is a tall chick that Snakes Eyes loves to climb. I know I would like to climb her but thats besides the point. Still common sense does tell you that a guy named Tunnel Rat who happens to be of asian descent(is that spelled right?), should be shorter than a guy named Roadblock who carries a freaking gun made to be mounted on a vehicle or carried by two or three people. Im just saying...alot of us are way to fanatical about joe, and need to take the rose colored glasses off. Ok now that I have my anti stain suit on and have alerted the paramedics....feel free to bash me.

Here we go again. I really wish that I had a dollar every time that we discussed this. But I guess it does help to releive that tension from the agravation that builds up over the things that we dislike about Joe.

The Convention and idea of confronting a Hasbro person and saying these things to them. Let me just say that last year at the convention, I spent a good deal of time speaking with Hasbro employees. You know what they told me! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Now here we are seven months later and apparently they lied. I remember being very excited about the answers I got last June, I think we all were but the one thing that all of this is proving is that they don't care. We as collectors have been used as a sort of (foundation fund) to get the line up off it's feet and now that it's running, they don't need us. They'll drop us a bone from time to time like the Infantry set, but thats all.

To HASBLO,

what is the big deal with Neon, i mean seriously...if you want to have neon, make a Joe Power ranger team, keep military , Military....if it is to pick-up that one kid who goes in the stores..and buys one figure because its neon...then conrgratulations...2005 will now represent 94'!

this same crap killed the longest running toyline ever...trying to gain new cutomers...unstead of keeping to the original G.I.joe and keeping the old fans happy...you HAD to make it compete with the other cruddy toylines..why?, Joe stood the testament of time..7 years straight..no problems...then you fudged it up with neon and AA, which took away from the original Idea of G.I.joe.....by turning military figures in to goffy neon (shoot at me) paint jobs...why dont u just mock the military...what kind of elite force wears neon green >?????

non that I know...and by not listening to fans ,...you are shooting yourselfs in the back...as it was us who bought the original line...and kept hasbro in buisnesss than..but I guess since your almost a toy monopoly know...customer care is at a all time low..because one line wont drop the bank.

thx again for you not caring

consumer ( and collecter)

Here we go again. I really wish that I had a dollar every time that we discussed this. But I guess it does help to releive that tension from the agravation that builds up over the things that we dislike about Joe.

The Convention and idea of confronting a Hasbro person and saying these things to them. Let me just say that last year at the convention, I spent a good deal of time speaking with Hasbro employees. You know what they told me! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Now here we are seven months later and apparently they lied. I remember being very excited about the answers I got last June, I think we all were but the one thing that all of this is proving is that they don't care. We as collectors have been used as a sort of (foundation fund) to get the line up off it's feet and now that it's running, they don't need us. They'll drop us a bone from time to time like the Infantry set, but thats all.

EXACTLY....Thats exactly what I was saying. Violent....I dont care what anyone says you are a good person in my book @smilepunch@ . Hasbro is about one thing....making money. Dont get confused and think they care about what we want cause if they did we all would have had a Flagg or a Terrodrome by now.

I don't mind neon if the colors work together. Sci-Fi is awesome looking is a good example. It's only when you mix and match your neons w/ other colors does the figure start to look really awful.

And yeah, the colors should match the figure's specialty. Heavy Water is a good example of a figure that had some offbeat colors but came out great looking.

My feedback:

Once again I will probably get the boot for this, but the metal rivets thing isnt that big of a deal. I mean really I think its good for them to put the plastic rivets instead of the metal ones. Why you ask..simple...kids break toys. Why put a ton of money into a metal rivet joe when 9 out of 10 kids put it in their mouth or destroy it. I mean thats a huge lawsuit waiting to happen. If they just put the joes to proportion to each other and ask them self smart questions concernicng QC then its all butter baby. I mean we all know...or assume that Roadblock is taller than TunneRat so make it so. Also I hate to bust everyones bubble but I went back and looked and no where did it say certain figures were shorter, taller bigger, smaller than another one. We jut like to think they are. It could very well be that Scarlett is a tall chick that Snakes Eyes loves to climb. I know I would like to climb her but thats besides the point. Still common sense does tell you that a guy named Tunnel Rat who happens to be of asian descent(is that spelled right?), should be shorter than a guy named Roadblock who carries a freaking gun made to be mounted on a vehicle or carried by two or three people. Im just saying...alot of us are way to fanatical about joe, and need to take the rose colored glasses off. Ok now that I have my anti stain suit on and have alerted the paramedics....feel free to bash me.

Broken shoulders isn't a problem like broken crotches are, so apparently the shoulder rivets weren't a problem in the past. I doubt that kids were getting injured by the shoulder rivets, too.

My feedback:

Broken shoulders isn't a problem like broken crotches are, so apparently the shoulder rivets weren't a problem in the past. I doubt that kids were getting injured by the shoulder rivets, too.

So if they arent a problem then why do we need them. Its still Gijoe with or without the metal rivets. And another thing...metal rivets dont equal smaller shoulders smaller rivets do.

plastic rivets = bad shoulder scale

metal rivets = worked ok for 20 years, are kids to dumb to play with toys....thats not hasbros problem, thats the parents problem for allowing thier kid to be stupid.

moral of the story..bad product to save mabye 1000$ overall run of the line....and thats maybe 1 million figure estimate...even that would be a huge price for metal rivets

#US1#

metal rivets = worked ok for 20 years, are kids to dumb to play with toys....thats not hasbros problem, thats the parents problem for allowing thier kid to be stupid.

moral of the story..bad product to save mabye 1000$ overall run of the line....and thats maybe 1 million figure estimate...even that would be a huge price for metal rivets

#US1#

Same answer as before.....in other words thats not an answer. How do the plastic rivets alone equal improper scale? We think its improper because we are so used to the metal rivets. If Hasbro gave us plastic rivets 1st then we would be bitching when they gave us metal ones. What you are saying doesnt make any sense CCavalier. Dont think Im coming off on you either. U just happen to be online responding back at this moment so Im refering to you. I hear everyone blame the orings, or the metal rivets, or the ozone layer, or monkey new year for being the problem with the figures when in actuality its the lazy arse designers and those who dont pay attention to detail. They know the proper scale, they know the size the oring should be and they know the size the rivets should be to...metal or plastic. Granted what made the joe figure original were the orings and the swivel arm battle grip but damn metal rivets? I never looked at my joe and said "You know what...this is a quality figure cause it has metal rivets". I know I did get pissed when the paint from that metal rivets got chipped off though. All Hasbro is doing is moving on with the times. Metal rivets arent here anymore for some reason. I dont think Hasbro designers are sitting in their design cubby holes saying "Hey lets #$### over the joe collectors by making the metal rivets plastic...MWHAHAHAHAHA". They did it for a reason so either suck it up or move on. And CCavalier this is not beamed towards you, this is to everyone who keeps blaming an inanimate object for ****ing up our beloved joe. As for scale of the figure...man that topic can fill up an entire different server. We would all be debating till the cows came home :).

My feedback:

So if they arent a problem then why do we need them. Its still Gijoe with or without the metal rivets. And another thing...metal rivets dont equal smaller shoulders smaller rivets do.

So you really didn't notice the difference the plastic ones have? They make the shoulders bigger and bulkier with huge balls as shoulders. It especially looks bad on the female figures. Metal rivets don't equal smaller shoulders? Sorry but the ending result disagrees with you. I wouldn't be saying anythhing for the plastic rivets if they came first; that's not the case at all. I only think they should have stuck with the construction methods that did work for 20 years before someone decided to come along and cut corners.

You are unusually defensive of plastic shoulder rivets.

#US1#

Same answer as before.....in other words thats not an answer. How do the plastic rivets alone equal improper scale? We think its improper because we are so used to the metal rivets. If Hasbro gave us plastic rivets 1st then we would be bitching when they gave us metal ones. What you are saying doesnt make any sense CCavalier. Dont think Im coming off on you either. U just happen to be online responding back at this moment so Im refering to you. I hear everyone blame the orings, or the metal rivets, or the ozone layer, or monkey new year for being the problem with the figures when in actuality its the lazy arse designers and those who dont pay attention to detail. They know the proper scale, they know the size the oring should be and they know the size the rivets should be to...metal or plastic. Granted what made the joe figure original were the orings and the swivel arm battle grip but damn metal rivets? I never looked at my joe and said "You know what...this is a quality figure cause it has metal rivets". I know I did get pissed when the paint from that metal rivets got chipped off though. All Hasbro is doing is moving on with the times. Metal rivets arent here anymore for some reason. I dont think Hasbro designers are sitting in their design cubby holes saying "Hey lets #$### over the joe collectors by making the metal rivets plastic...MWHAHAHAHAHA". They did it for a reason so either suck it up or move on. And CCavalier this is not beamed towards you, this is to everyone who keeps blaming an inanimate object for ****ing up our beloved joe. As for scale of the figure...man that topic can fill up an entire different server. We would all be debating till the cows came home :).

they certainly did with O-rings...and look where that got them.

.......the metal rivets obviously are stronger...in order for the plastic rivets to be strong enough [i strongly believe] they had to make them bigger....which makes the figures,,,for the most part look freakin' ridiculous..especially the female figures....

Here's what I'd like:

GIJOE--dump the "Image Comics" design group/philosophy. Its been lucky so far, but I'd rather see a switch.

Go for modern military extrapolations. The Corps guys have it down.

Camo unis, real military gear--again, with some extrapolations ( a H7K MP-5 with a M203 grenade launcher underslung would fit the theme.

If they have helmets, have a fold down NVG on it....or back packs with figures--stuff to give a collector OPTIONS again.

Same for the vehicles. NAC is good--Sand Razor would need to be re-thought. The original HAMMER is a good start in the direction I'd like to see vehicles go--but the Brawler suffers from its cannon thing.

COBRA--go hog wild. Here's where the wacky designs can be had.

Cobra troops like the sand viper==poifect!!!

Night Adder is spot on for what I think COBRA should have. More please.

I'd like to see more integration and expansion of just what is GIJOE.

Action Man added to the mythos is brilliant. Go further with that.

Add in the Adventure team for a non-military spin-off line--it has a wide arena to work in.

I like attempts that make the overall toy line fun--the 12" line once had a pamphlet detailing how to make dioramas--I'd like to see that in the small scale too.

The game idea mention in another thread--also a good idea.

I'd like modular sets, that can stand-alone and also be combined--not like BTR, but as the main toy design theme. This can work for both vehicles and HQ playsets.

I'd like to see more stuff like the Mission disc sets, or the ninja showdown set, but with 3 3/4" figures instead of the 12" ones.

Mirror the GvC line in the 12" scale, but keep the choice stuff like DVD's with the 3 3/4" scale.

Gimmicks........?

I've lived with them up to now, and I can live with them in the future.

I think that the best gimmick of all is slowly creeping into the line: the wrist/ankle articulation. it requires no batteries, needs no be plugged into anything, please almost everyone.......its a keeper, IMO.

Keep the gimmick items to a set number per year. If there's 8 vehicles, why not make just two with that year's gimmick--likewise the figures.

If its a hero and an oppnent, so much the better, but it won't hurt the rest of the line and if it is a item thats popular, it can return either with or without the gimmick later on.

Just my thoughts.

--Ken

I'd like to jump in here, hopefully no one is offended. I personally think Hasbro has headed in the right direction with VvV. I know many of you hate the new stuff, but in my opinion, VvV figures look and feel more like the old RAH figures than JvC did. If any of you have the new snake eyes, look at the way he was sculpted. Its not just his size that mimics the old RAH, but also the details such as the ear piece, and leg attachments. Its as if the sculptors were trying to faithfully create a figure that could be interchanged with the RAH collection of toys. Granted the figures have bigger shoulders, but at least they can't rust, which was a problem I had with a lot of my old Favs.

Its not just his size that mimics the old RAH, but also the details such as the ear piece, and leg attachments...

He has an earpiece?? (lol) Cool! I've GOT to start opening these things...

You make some excellent points EMB. To address the whole metal rivet debate, I actually prefer the plastic ones. Why? Well, for one thing, they are the same color as the respective body part they hold together, unlike the gleaming metal ones that kinda stood out and made Joes look like robots or something. Now I will agree with some of the GvsC shoulders looking kinda large because of them, but the only ones that have ever bugged me are the ones on some of GvsC Wave 1 and Lady Jaye. None of the others have really bothered me. And another thing, dangit, is the fact that after taking very good care of some of my RAH Joes for years and years, the plastic gets brittle and cracks right around the so called great metal rivets. That's a good thing about the plastic of the newer figures and the rivets; they don't lend themselves to cracked joints.

I've had my complaints about GvsC/VvsV, and they're the same complaints everyone here has. But there's way more that's cool about it than not. Otherwise I wouldn't still be interested.

The only things I'd like to see change are the colors, the attention to detail when it comes to weapons and accessories, and for the luva Pete single packed figures and NO gimmicks! I love added articulation (except for the swiveling ankle). Back in the good 'ol days, Joes didn't need no stinkin' gimmicks to sell them. They sold themselves because of excellence. They were the total package in terms of playability, and THAT'S why they were great.