Starting Guitar!!!

cobia123

i just started playing guitar about a month and a half ago. My friend has been teaching me....he lend me his accoustic guitar. i got pretty good pretty fast. For xmas i got an electric fender stratocaster for 349$ That thing is SICK. I know the entire song "Time of your life" by Green Day. I know "The quiet things that noone ever knows" by Brand New. And i know the begginings to "No such thing", "Times like these", "Hangin Around", "Swing Swing" and "Stacey's mom". What i find cool is that im redoing my basement (me and my friends actually), and we are setting it up into a guitar/chill place. its gonna be awesome, so yea id jsut like to let all you know that i play guitar now, so u can expect me to be in discussions about that.peace.

Cool about you starting to play the guitar. Just wondering, which style of music you into?

I can play a very little bit of metallica from what sith has taught me, smoke on the water by deep purple i taught myself, from watching my brother playing. I would like to learn more but just dont have the time to do it.

Sith has been in a band for a while with my brother, so far so good.They had their first gig in november which i unfortunatly missed and feel really p**sed off that i couldn't go.Anyway, keep up the good work matey!

cool. Ive been playing for about 10 years now. If you want to get good, try exploring differant types of music, such as blues or Jazz. I'm not much of a jazz fan, but jazz guitar chords help you alot.

I highly recommend you learn as many chords as you can. That and also do finger strength exercises, depending on how fast you want to play. Also, expand your music vocabulary by listening to other forms like blues, and even Jazz.

I highly recommend you learn as many chords as you can. That and also do finger strength exercises, depending on how fast you want to play. Also, expand your music vocabulary by listening to other forms like blues, and even Jazz.

wow that's what i just said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ @smilepunch@

Im really only into playing rock. Me and my friends sometiems play songs together, we play like Brand New, Blink 182, Sum 41, and stuff like that.

Awesome!

My friend Brian is a KICKIN' RAD guitar player. He can play many of the songs you listed and alot of other stuff as well. He even taught me how to play the bass part of The Beautiful People. :)

Listen to other types of music, though, like Darthmaul and Venal said. Train yourself and become the best you can be. Good Luck. :)

wow that's what i just said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ @smilepunch@

Hey, great minds think alike man! But next time I will quote you and give you props. I promise! :PB)

• 2 weeks later...

Although I am open to try anything I usually stick with thrash, classic, progressive, death and black metal. However, I have heard that for people who are in the early stages of guitar, i.e first year, playing the blues and jazz is really good. It can be simple and helps greatly with your chords and finger movements, plus it doesn't suck.

Any jazz tab sites you guys know of?

A lot of people don't believe me when I tell them this, but if you want to get familiar with chord progressions, and learn some basic music theory very easily...start chording along with country music. Artists like Alan Jackson and Dwight Yoakum use very simple I-IV-V chord progressions that help train your ear, improve your rhythm, and learn major chords/progressions. Old time country music like Hank Williams/Willie Nelson is even better for this sort of thing, as a lot of newer country has evolved into more complicated chord progressions.

From there, you can work into how minor 6th's work, etc, etc. Start with the basics if you want to get into really learning how music works, and writing your own music. Of course, as Venal and Darthmaul pointed out, Blues is another way to go, just slightly more involved and complicated.

Jazz sucks...don't go there. Sorry to all of you Jazz lovers. @wink@

Although I am open to try anything I usually stick with thrash, classic, progressive, death and black metal.

No offense dawg, but you have horrible taste in music. All those long-haired goths with fake blood screaming about how they want to torture people? Please! @loll@

No, you are just heavily biased towards rap music, and ignorant towards any other type of music that others may like.

I am not telling you, or anyone else on this board to like my music, the only time I have made negative comments about rap was in the "Bands you hate", and that wasn't directed towards you.

Don't be so judgemental next time, dawg.

Although I am open to try anything I usually stick with thrash, classic, progressive, death and black metal.

No offense dawg, but you have horrible taste in music. All those long-haired goths with fake blood screaming about how they want to torture people? Please! @loll@

No, you are just heavily biased towards rap music, and ignorant towards any other type of music that others may like.

I am not telling you, or anyone else on this board to like my music, the only time I have made negative comments about rap was in the "Bands you hate", and that wasn't directed towards you.

Don't be so judgemental next time, dawg.

Oh come on man, I was kidding! Although I do really think that about those bands, I'm not trying to judge you! It was a joke, I just didn't point that out to well. Sorry if it came off as me judging you. BTW I'm white and live in the suburbs so it's not like I live a ghetto life, I just like rap.

I know, I have friends who listen to rap and are white, I don't hold it against anybody. It just didn't come off as a joke at first.

No hard feelings.

If you want to get better...stop playing easy punk and pop-rock songs...they will keep you from getting better...they are loathed by muscians for being cheap and unproductive...and take really no level of skill to play..beginner of course...try to learn to play some country or deeper Metal..not Korn or radio BS...find some progressive metal that changes tones and frequencys frequently...and also you can learb better scales from Metal...country will teach you better techniques.

hope that helps

oh and since someon bashed Metal...Rap please...computer driven music is the simplest form of human understadning...I could write 5 rap songs and tell some poor thug off the street to rap it..and make millions...its not hard at all..and I would do it...if not for that fact that it gives me Headaches..

and Im not bashing you PMP..just a friendly challenge.. @smilepunch@