So What Other Government Agencies Are There?

KamenDreda

What others are there that members of GI Joe could be recruited from? I am trying to make sure I have representation from all of the following:

Okay here's what I've come up with so far:

Army: most of the joes can work for this one

Navy: Torpedo, Shipwreck, ect

Air Force: Ace, Barrell Roll

Marines: Gung Ho

Coast Guard: Cutter (using Pirannah Shipwreck as him)

CIA: Lady Jay (yeah I know she is not really from here but it works for me.)

FBI: Wide Scope

Can ya'll think of any others? Is there a government adjentcy (sp?) that specializes in computer's? (for hacker or HighTech)

Local:

Don't forget [Detroit] SWAT, Shockwave.

Federal:

And the DEA, Bullet-Proof.

Don't know if these are respresented within Joe presently, but there's also the NSA. And there's quite a few Special Operations groups that aren't represented in Joe, namely the US Air Force Special Operations ground forces, which include: Pararescue, Tactical Air Control Parties (TACPs), and Combat Controller Teams (CCTs).

GIGN

French Foreign Legion

GSG-9

KSK

SEK

GEK COBRA

Carbineiri

Spetsnatz

NZSAS

ASAS

RCMP

JTF-2

Atomic Energy Commission

NEST

NASA

Dev Group/Red Cell

NECA

DARPA

Pro Sports teams

Attached and Unattached Adventurer units.

British Military

MI-6

Big Business

Special forces and regular force military of USA-friendly nations around the world

Alien Species

--Ken

ATF falls into or nearby the FBI--as far as special tactics units go.

Still, you are right, its not been mentioned up to now.

FBI HRT is another one.

Here's another one that's not been mentioned either:

Treasury department: ergo the Secret Service.

--Ken

FBI HRT is another one.

Here's another one that's not been mentioned either:

--Ken

Why would the government have such a squad of military men to deal with alcohol and tobacco with the ATF? I know smokers and drunks aren't loved, but damn make a military special ops team to deal with them is insane....

Wow... Thanks guys... Now if you could just tell me what they all are and what they do!

Descriptions of units mentioned above that I know....

NSA: US Agency responsible for Code-Breaking and Electronic Espionage.

GSG-9: German Anti-Terrorist Unit

Carbineiri: Italian Iternal Security force

Spetsnatz: Russian Sepcial units, semi-Equivalent of Delta Force and US Army Rangers Joe-Verese Ref: in the comics Oktober Gaurd are a sub unit if Spetsnaz

MI-6: (Ministry of Inteligence-6, sometimes refered to as DI-6 Department Of Inteligence-6) UK Equivalent of the CIA, The supposed employers of James Bond (though in some films Bond reports to "MI-7" or "MI-8" which (at least as far as the public knows) don't exist)

MI-5: UK internal Inteligence agency, somewhat equivlent to the Dept of Homeland Security/part of the FBI, but more a Counter-intelgence unit, though with counter-Terrorism Role.

FBI HRT: Hostage Rescue Team, not sure if these still exist as such, but does exactly as it says.

DARPA (Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency): (may have been renamed, certainly lost the "D" part of the name at one point) US Military R&D, amounst other things responsible for the Joint Strike Fighter program, the DD-X and LCS Warship Development and lots of things you can't talk much about publicly.

NEST: not sure where they fall organisationally, but they deal with NBC materials.

SAS(Special Air Service): UK Army Equivalent of Delta Force/Green Berets: 21st 22nd and 23® Regiments, notable: Uniform includes Tan Berets Joe-Verese Ref: Big Ben is a SAS Commando assigned to Gi Joe on exchange

SBS (Special Boat Service): Royal Navy Equivalent of US Navy SEALs

AUSAS: Austrailian SAS, direct equivalent of UK SAS, NZSAS is similar unit in New Zealand Joe-Verese Ref: Sky Mate is an AU-SAS commando on Exchange, Major Bludd is ex AU-SAS

French Foreign Legion: French force for deployment outside of France (French law forbids deployment of French Army units outside of France except in some special circumstances, like actaul declared war), Partly recruited outside of France (mostly from Outside, notionaly.... not sure how much that holds in reality) Joe-Verese Ref: Major Bludd spent some time in the Foreign Legion after leaving the AU-SAS

The GIGN is a French Counter-Terrorist unit. They are considered the world's elite in firearms due to 2 hours of daily weapons training (even after they are a member of the GIGN).

The Sayeret MatKal is the most prominent Israeli Spec Op unit.

FBI HRT is another one.

Here's another  one that's not been mentioned either:

--Ken

Why would the government have such a squad of military men to deal with alcohol and tobacco with the ATF? I know smokers and drunks aren't loved, but damn make a military special ops team to deal with them is insane....

ATF has intervention teams along the lines of the FBI-HRT

They've reportedly gotten much more on-the-ball after Waco.

--Ken

I can think of one more, someone from the diplomatic corp.

I use the ARAHC Duke (97?; that car-salesman smile the figure has) as a new character who works as a special attachement to the team. Basically, there may be situations in which diplomacy might be called for before the G.I. Joe team is called in or, perhaps, after something has gone wrong with a mission. I thought it was a good idea to have a team liason.

Leseee-- some of these were quite ably answered already, but here's some of the rest.

KSK--German Counter Terror force--similar to GSG-9 but tasked to intervene OUTSIDE of German territory if need be. Similar in mnay ways to USArmy Rangers.

SEK--A new unit, by all accounts, German SWAT units, in communities where GSG-9 cannot respond in time.

GEK COBRA--Austrian Counter Terror unit--yes, they are actually called COBRA--kinda funky if you ask me.

RCMP--Yep, the Mounties. Unparalleled detectives and the have expectional Emergency Response Teams ( SWAT)

JTF-2--Canada's you-are-not-supposed-to-know-about Counter Terror unit. Some of the first Al Queda captured in Afghanistan were caught by JTF troopers. They are reputed to be on par with the SAS and Delta in terms of their soldiering skills.

Atomic Energy Commission--This one might seem odd, but there is a unit within the ATC that oversees shipments of nuclear material--they are a tactics unit, with authority to use force to defend nuclear assets. Some of those semi's you see on the highways and byways of the USA are hauling nuke components, and the guys driving them have a arsenal in the cab.

NEST--Nuclear Emergency response team. Got a bomb? These guys will race anywhere in the USA to defuse it. Want to try to stop them? They are allowed to put a double-tap into your head.

Dev Group/Red Cell--these guys used to be SEAL Team 6- then they became Red Cell and got into trouble testing Naval base defenses. Then they became Development Group--"officially" formed to explore new tactics and equipment for the Navy. They are also supposedly comprised of a LOT of former SEALS and Red Cell operators and use up enough ammo amongst themselves to keep the whole US Marine Corps shooting at the range for a year.

NECA-- I knew off the top of my head this one was related or similar to DARPA, but I cannot recall now what it actually is. Disregard.

Pro Sports teams--Willian "Refridgerator" Perry anyone?

Attached and Unattached Adventurer units.-- The Adventure team, Action Man, assorted other real-life adventurer units.

British Military-Royal Marines, Paras, Ghurkas, Special Boat Squadrons, Pathfinders, etc etc, etc.

Big Business--Microsoft et al. Some recruits come in directly from big Business, or from previous militray experience via business.

Alien Species--Replicators, anyone??

--Ken

well you're forgetting a keep part of what ATF deals with, Firearms. You definitely don't want to be sending a weak group into northern Michigan to flush out some back water separatist groups with illegal Ak's and H&K's..

One that everyone is neglecting is FPS. (Federal Protective Service)

They are basically the federal police officers. They used to be under GSA (General Services Administration) but now they are part of Homeland Security.

Their jurisdiction is federal, so, they generally work with the FBI and other departments as the actual federal police force that makes the arrests and such.

The ATF is a federal agency, not military I think. Special tactics trained, but not a Spec Op group.

Let's keep in mind that so far in this thread, we have federal, special police and military all mixed into it, so it can get confusing.

Sled

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division.

These are guys that look like Navy Seals that walk around with the word Sled on their back. If you owe child support they role up in a dopeboy confo and kick in your door.

The ATF is a federal agency, not military I think. Special tactics trained, but not a Spec Op group.

Let's keep in mind that so far in this thread, we have federal, special police and military all mixed into it, so it can get confusing.

Well, the Joe team does have a mix of disciplines, some of which aren't technically military.. I can see team members from ALL types of agencies.

Also, if you follow the D.E.F. storylines, why would an anti-terroist unit, as is the Joe team, be used to fight drug dealers? Sure, the cartoons sucked (Falcon as a drugged-out psycho comes to mind), but it illustrates my point. That is if you all want to USE the cartoon to illustrate anything!