Pete Rose

SKYWARP

I say niether. I was one of those people who were all "C'mon, he was a great player. He has the most hits ever. forgive him!"

however, after his crappy way of admitting it... mainly to sell a new book.. and WITHOUT anykind of apology to fans, to his team, to baseball.. I can't forgive him..

he broke a rule.. everybody knows the consequence.. BANNING FOR LIFE.

and he lied about it for way too long to too many people.. and he doesn't seem to care, but only wants to save his own butt and earn himself some money

I say yes to HOF since there are and will be other guys who break rules in there. But not back in the game.

of course there are and will be other players who break the rules.. but each broken rule has its own consequence.. and all players know them.

Gambling on baseball has a penalty of lifetime ban.. and they all know it.

True but to me thats crap. Id take a gambler over a drug user any day. Morally speaking Rose was wrong but it shouldnt be like he killed someone. Gambling is messed up but cheating is just worse in my eyes.

I agree with CLAM on his views on Rose. The guy knew what the consequences were and still bet on baseball. If he had admitted to doing it from day 1 and was remorseful and apologetic to fans, and his team, baseball officials would probably be more lenient. Now with his admission years after the fact, it's obvious he's doing it for the money and to see if he can save his arse, but it's too late now....

True but to me thats crap. Id take a gambler over a drug user any day. Morally speaking Rose was wrong but it shouldnt be like he killed someone. Gambling is messed up but cheating is just worse in my eyes.

True - but because baseball officials are being stupid about how to test for steroids, many of them get away. However, I am hopeful that more positive tests will reveal those cheats to the public so they won't get voted in either, and suspended to boot

Before, I thought Rose should be in the Hall of Fame. But after watching the Primetime interview and reading Sports Illustrated, I don't think he has any business trying to still be in baseball. The rulebook says that any player, coach, or official who bets on the game will be kicked out forever. Even though Rose should be in and what he did for baseball, the rulebook doesn't give him an exception. He committed the act, he got caught, now live with the consequences. To bet on baseball is just idiotic.

I still think it's messed up that the Hall of Fame doesn't include the greatest hitter of all-time. If there's anywhere Rose's picture should hang in Cooperstown, it should be in the bathroom.

I think they should put him in after he passes away....

This is a publicity stunt to make him money...the timing and everything is just to conspicuous (sp?) to be anything but...

I mean for him to come out and appologize for the timing of his confession?!

Please mr. rose....Don't make yourself look any worse then you do, just go away and let's move on..

I'd rather see marge schot (nazi reds owner) back in baseball before this baffoon!

OK THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF. I say he SHOULD NOT be let back into baseball coaching. but YES HE SHOULD be put in the Hall Of Fame. People dont seem to realize that what gets you into the hall fo fame is your skill as a player. Yes he bet on baseball, but that is NOT THE POINT. The point is, he was a great player and a world record holder. It didnt really matter the way he admitted to it, it still does not change the fact that he was a really good player. Just let him in already.

OK THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF. I say he SHOULD NOT be let back into baseball coaching. but YES HE SHOULD be put in the Hall Of Fame. People dont seem to realize that what gets you into the hall fo fame is your skill as a player. Yes he bet on baseball, but that is NOT THE POINT. The point is, he was a great player and a world record holder. It didnt really matter the way he admitted to it, it still does not change the fact that he was a really good player. Just let him in already.

But I say this as a counterpoint - the rules state that players/managers cannot bet on the game period or they will receive a lifetime ban from baseball. Plain and simple.

I agree that his stats alone should have put him into the HOF years ago, but he screwed himself over when he gambled and bet on baseball, and threw everything away. Then he lied about it, denying that he ever bet on baseball and wanted to be in the HOF. Now, fourteen years later, he admits what he's done and as well as wanting to be in the HOF, he also demands that he be allowed to manage a baseball team too @hmmm@

Then, he gets all angry because people are reacting negatively to his confession and coming of like he's the poor victim.

Pete Rose is one of the greatest hitters of all time - there's no doubt about that. He violated a rule and should be consequenced and to make matters worse, is trying to be the victim despite the fact that HE got HIMSELF into this mess.....I have no sympathy for him and while it's a loss for baseball that he's not in the Hall, he is the only one that should be blamed for that

OK THIS IS REALLY PISSING ME OFF. I say he SHOULD NOT be let back into baseball coaching. but YES HE SHOULD be put in the Hall Of Fame. People dont seem to realize that what gets you into the hall fo fame is your skill as a player. Yes he bet on baseball, but that is NOT THE POINT. The point is, he was a great player and a world record holder. It didnt really matter the way he admitted to it, it still does not change the fact that he was a really good player.  Just let him in already.

But I say this as a counterpoint - the rules state that players/managers cannot bet on the game period or they will receive a lifetime ban from baseball. Plain and simple.

I agree that his stats alone should have put him into the HOF years ago, but he screwed himself over when he gambled and bet on baseball, and threw everything away. Then he lied about it, denying that he ever bet on baseball and wanted to be in the HOF. Now, fourteen years later, he admits what he's done and as well as wanting to be in the HOF, he also demands that he be allowed to manage a baseball team too @hmmm@

Then, he gets all angry because people are reacting negatively to his confession and coming of like he's the poor victim.

Pete Rose is one of the greatest hitters of all time - there's no doubt about that. He violated a rule and should be consequenced and to make matters worse, is trying to be the victim despite the fact that HE got HIMSELF into this mess.....I have no sympathy for him and while it's a loss for baseball that he's not in the Hall, he is the only one that should be blamed for that

Well put.

He admitted he bet on baseball after lying about it for years. There are soooo many things wrong about that, it's ridiculous.

Shoeless Joe Jackson was banned for life for being a pawn in the Black Sox scandal. He will never be in the Hall of Fame, and for a reason. Pete Rose knew the consequences of his actions, yet did not ask for help. He didn't even fess up back in the days of Fay Vincent...if he did, I would've been one of you saying let him in post-mortem. Instead, he should not be allowed back in professional baseball in any extent.

To those of you saying he should be allowed into the HOF...do you think Shoeless Joe should be admitted as well?

• 4 weeks later...

hall of fame is reserved for players who do great things for baseball! he was a great player and deserves to be in the HOF. but not reinstated in baseball!the rulebook says he cant be involved with baseball. but nothing about the HOF! and reguardless if it happens now or 50 years from now, he will be in there! so let him have it before he dies! he admited to lying, he has to live with it! just give him the HOF and stop toying with him!