12 Inch Hof?jvc?st?vvv Joe

A Nonny Moose

I've got most of them, and I've enjoyed them. My 12 inch Firefly has a black pleather trenchcoat, black pleather pants, and a black t-shirt now, instead of the shorts. The fun for me is changing the outfits and weapons to fit what they should look like IMHO. Anyone else partaking in the 12 inch Joes?

Always have.

Its where the GIJOE name came from after all.

My current fun thing to do is to create 12" version of the 3 3/4' figures--provides a very free-form kitbashing experience, no rules, not worries about accuracy. If it looks right , it is right.

--Ken

Not me. I have a couple issues with them

1. Too much like dolls

2. Too large to have epic battles

3. Too large to have great vehicles (tanks, headquarters, ships) I collect Joes almost as much for the sawesome vehicles/bases as for the figures themselves.

4. Take up too much space

I do have the Ninja Showdown 2 pack, but just for the DVD. SE and SS are still in the box. They just look a little too dorky to me... But I guess it's just different people having different tastes.

I know a sizable number of 3 3/'4" collectors dismiss the 12' figures as dolls, but do keep in mind that the term "action-figure' was coined exclusively for GIJOE back in the 1960's.

Technically, the 3 3/4" figures are dolls too.

My own definition of a doll versus an action figure is this: a doll cannot hold a weapon--nor do they come with one--while an action figure can and does.

That segregates about 95% of the toys that might need such distinction.

--Ken

For me, the definition comes down to 2 things; size and the use of cloth. Put a ghille suit on a 3 3/4 Joe, and he looks very much like a doll. It's the "let's play dress-up" aspect for me. That's why I use the small camo nets from Build-a-rama instead. The other criteria for me is the size. 12" is just too doll-like for me.

I've collected some of the 12" figures, but mostly Dragon and BBi stuff (modern mostly).

Speaking of 12" Joe, I saw the 12" version of the VvV Sand Scorpion today (and Faces). Scorpion is wearing corduroys. The figure wasn't awful as far as Joe 12ers go, but tan cords? Be great for a seventies dio....

I am proud of owning 2 original brunette figures from 1964. I just need more weapons and accessories from that era. I also own a Dragon figure that depicts a Marine in 'Nam circa 1968 during the Tet Offensive. I would like to pick up more, but they are a bit more pricey.

It's just funny hearing from much older people how they didn't like the Joe figures we know and love shrinking down. Oh well, can't please everyone I guess.

No, 12-inch figures are dolls. period.

They have clothes, you can take them off. Doll.

Like action man, or Barbie. @smilepunch@

Not getting into the doll/action figure discussion.

But, yeah, I'm very much into the 12" figures. I just grabbed a few more Vipers this morning, for a small army (5 troops) to go with the upcoming Cobra Commander, Destro, and Baroness figures. I'm happy with a small Cobra force, because my Joes are limited to six: Duke, Snakes, Gung-Ho, Roadblock, Shipwreck and Scarlett. I customize all my figures, with proper outfits and weapons, and I really only have basic designs for GH, Roadblock and Scarlett so far.

Also, I've got a team of WWII era figures I've designed, that I used as Eagle Company in developing my Sgt Savage fanfic series.

Typically, the GvC figures serve as a base (now, they typically just serve for inspiration and a head mold), while the main 12" line creates the look. For example, I used jacket and trousers from the Army General (a 1995 exclusive) with a shirt from a Tuskegee Bomber, customizing the jacket into a vest, to recrete the Wave 1 version of Duke, adding the chest strap that came with the newest Duke figure to create a very "1983-ish" looking Duke, once the vest is removed.

I also used a Hall of Fame infantry uniform (mail away, 1994), with the Tuskegee bomber jacket, and 1997 Tank Commander shoulder holster (with the latest Duke figure's head) to make my Hawk figure.

Its so much more fun, and customizing is so much easier with the big boys. And the end result is *always* better than the initial figure, unlike a custom which can always look crappy with the wrong paint job or part combinations. There's nothing you can't do with a 12" Joe, and for someone like me, who doesn't play, but loves when a plastic figure can come alive, its the only way to go.

One of the advantages of the 12" figures is the adaptability ( I have over 400 12" guys myself) in that there's tons of of material to kitbash new chracters out of.

Add to that, the Hasbro heads can be easily swapped to other companies bodies.

I use the "old" Twenty-First Century Toys classic and super articulated bodies for my Joe swaps, because not only are the totally compatible with the Hasbro figures, but they have interchangeable hands as well.

The recent addition of Cy-girls ( BLue Box Toys/Takara) means that female Joe team members can be maybe WITHOUT the vacuous staring smile of a Barbie Doll.

The scale of the figures means that more detail is possible and practical.

Everything from weapons that can be disassembled, and clothing items like tie-up boots, but WORKING night vision goggles and LASER sights.

( Doubt the latter??, I OWN both a 12" helicopter pilot figure with working NVGS ( light up) and a 21C modified MP-5 with a actual LASER pointed "sight" built on to it. That's just impossible with the 3 3/4'' scale.)

I enjoy both scales throughly, because both have their fun points.

--Ken

No, 12-inch figures are dolls. period.

They have clothes, you can take them off. Doll.

Like action man, or Barbie. @smilepunch@

Sure.

But you can remove helmets, goggles, backpacks, ghillie suits, ponchos, capes and armor from the 3 3/4" figures.

That makes them dolls by your own definition too

Sounds like nitpicking to me.

--Ken

One thing that I find cool about the 12" figures is that you can get accessories from aftermarket dealers to create your own customs. For example, there is a guy on the 'net that sells Colonial Marine armor and gear for such a scale. And with this scale as mentioned before, you can go all out with technical details.

I don't really collect the new ones because I haven't really seen one that I like except for the Cobra Viper.

I do however have the 12" :

Cobra Commander

Duke

Flint

Destro

All of which were made in the mid 90's

I like those more because they had more detail than the new ones.

I don't care if they are considered dolls or not. I buythem because I love that particular character and displaying them is my way of showing how much I respect that character.

I would even go out and buy a 12" Scarlett and Baroness if Hasbro ever made any.

I started by getting the 12" spytroop Shipwreck....then Tru CC.......Then the sweet ass Flint....NOW I got

Flint x2

Tunnel rat

Airborne

Shipwreck v1

Shipwreck v2

Crosshair

Depth Cahrge

Hi-Tech

Agent Faces

Snake Eyes

Switch Gears

CC