What Does Your Wife Or Girlfriend Think??

xprime187

ok im 29 years old and still collect joes..ok i have a wife and kids ..yes the kids think im cool..cause i have the coolest toys..their like wow dade hes cool.i want one.. my wife thinks im a dork @grumpy@ ..but hay what can i do..she knew this when we met..she wont ever buy them for me..i just get a small allowance out of my paycheck every week that is for my mad money to do with what i want..she can have the rest for bills and what ever.... @comehere@

My wife thinks my habit is amusing sometimes, but most of the time she isn't extremely tolerant of me talking about it. She says, "There's only so much a wife can take of Star Wars and GI Joe before she goes bonkers."

What's funny though is that I too take an amount out of every paycheck that I use to spend on my comics and toys. Sometimes that makes me feel like a little kid again... both in a good way and a bad way....

My wife is very supportive of it....I guess it's cause she collects something as well and therefore is a little more understanding(Nothing cool....just Lighthouses. :lol:) But she got me the DAC, HISS IV, 2 3V Packs and a Venom Styker for X-Mas.....and today she took some pics of TF: Alternators so she could look for them for me while she was in town.

As for listening to me talk about them.....well I have to listen to her go on about School and Work(mostly the PEOPLE at School and work) so it's kinda a "You don't tell me to shut up....I won't tell you to" deal. :lol:

My wife is totally cool with it too. She has bought me a ton of stuff from the 2001 G.I. Joe Headquaters, to full waves of DC Direct figures. For Christmas she got me the Mobile Command Center, Patriot Grizzly, some Joe figures, Anakins Starfighter (from Star Wars) A full run of Robin comics (from DC Comics 1 - 120, from Ebay), JLA Earth 2, The batman and Robin DC Direct Super Friends sets. A marvel Legends Goliath figure !!!! A ton of super hero and Star Wars Christmas ornaments. So yeah I think she is cool with it. And when I talk about collecting comics and toys she listens, but just for the sake of listening she really doesnt care to much. But she is pretty great.

When my girlfriend and I first started dating (in Sept. 2001) we both still lived with our parents, so there was plenty of money to go around when it came to toys. We'd been dating about 2 weeks when my best friend and I took her with us to TRU for the first time. Of course, I was all about the Joes. He was all about Transformers. I'd finished looking at the Joes and went to the next aisle where the Transformers were. He showed my a Transformer (I don't remember which one) and I was like "Wow, cool." Next thing I know she's dissapeared. We head out of the store and she's carrying a bag, so I assume she bought it for him since I wasn't a Transformers fan. Turns out it was for me. The first toy she ever bought me was Skybite.

Since then hundreds of toys have been purchased, and until we moved in together, she has bought most of them. Now the only problem she has with it is when I spend too much money on them. I've learned to limit my purchases, but she bought me plenty of toys for Christmas, including all the Joes I didn't have because of a lack of money, and the 4 Ninja Turtles figures I didn't have.

She is also very supportive. When it comes to MOTU, she stays on top of things based on what I tell her. She knows that for awhile it's appeared that the line was in trouble. The night we found out the toys were at Aldi's, she wanted to drive there right away, but it was 35 miles away and 8 o'clock in the evening. SO the next day we went and she was just as excited as me when we found them, and just as dissapointed that Battle Fist, Rattlor, and King Hss were already gone. To make up for it, she tried to get me to buy the MAA and Mekanek, but I remained practical and refused.

So now she's happy that they're showing up in stores, and even went out of her way to ask the toy dept. manager when the new MOTU's would be in. Much to my delight, I liked the answer. As it turns out, the toy dept. manager's son happens to be into MOTU, so she knew exactly when they would arrive. But I'm not one to be spreading around dates. You know how that can be when you go to buy a new toy that you've been waiting for on a whim based on a date that someone just threw out there on the message board. Even if I were to tell, I'm only going on what someone else told me, so I wouldn't expect to be held accountable if they weren't there. Nah, I don't think I'll tell.

*cough*Jan. 5 *cough*

my wife thinks im a dork as well! but i blame her for my collecting anyway! waaaaay back in 1995 before we were even married i had 4 gijoe figures from my childhood collection left had them in a box in my closet. clutch,recondo,doc,quick kick that i took out one day for my nephew to play with cause he was making me crazy. the wife was like "i didnt know you had those!" so then she didnt feel so bad about her MIB barbie collection.

then a few weeks later she finds the uss flagg,terror drome, tomahawk, rc crossfire, phantom stealth, some other vehicles and about 50 pre 88 figures at a garage sale for $200.00 dollars , calls me and tells me about it. freaking out i rush to where she was and boys this stuff was MINT & COMPLETE any collector would cry just see'ing them! but 200 was alot of money i talked the guy down to 150. and i still past on it cause back in 95 $150. was alot of money to us... then my wife was like "if you dont buy this im gonna comeback and just buy it...and have to drive it home in my festiva" so to save her the trouble of trying to drive a uss flagg home on top of her festiva,and me having my Ranger right there.. i caved after that day i was a joe collector once more and have not stopped since....i think she thinks she created a monster.

plus my wife is cool she doesnt beat me, and she laughs at my jokes 50% of the time so its all good!

sorry for the novel!

TM

My wife supports me in all my collections..she has brought me home on many occassion a chase He-man fig that she stumbled upon and plenty of Joe and TF stuff when she happens upon it.

For Christmas she got me a complete MIB Terrordrome and and a MISB Hiss tank..which was a complete and total surprise to me

We actually support each other with all the diff lines we collect. If I see a Hello Kitty, Muppet Show, Simpson's or WWE item she needs I will pick it up for her

We love collecting things together..and besides that it is something fun that we can share

Accepting yes, supportive no. My wife tolerates my collection and asks me to get it out of our bedroom all the time. I tell her I need a collection room and it is one of the most important features when we start looking for a bigger house. She has bought me a couple of Joe and Star Wars items over the years, but only if I beg. She doesn't really mind how much I spend on toys because we split the bills and as long as my half gets paid, I can do whatever I want with the rest.

fa29dc52.jpg

My wife has NEVER purchased anything for me in all this, and does tend to think I'm reliving my childhood a little too much. @haha@

Like mentioned before, she's tolerant, but I wouldn't say "supportive". She worries and yells about the expense of it sometimes, when I go a little over the limit. ^_^

The kids benefiting from it, seems to soften the frustration with it I think, as they are enjoying my hobby just as much as I am.

im LMAO here..wow..its great to know im not alone here in this...even some of my family gives me crap over my collecting..even as low as my older brother telling me to GROW UP!!..im sure all collectors have heard that..but you know , i tell him the same as the rest..i work, come home , spend time with wife and kids , i support my family in everyway possible..i dont go out drinking and sleeping around all night.. im not a drug addict.. i dont beat my wife or kids..which compared to alot of the world.. im doing pretty well..so in my spare ( my ) time..if i want to collect gi joe, or transformers , or whatever,, thats my business.. and if they dont like it,, then kiss my A$$!!!!!

@smilepunch@

my g-friend doesn't really care,,,though she has bought me a few star wars figures....the problem is she doesn't know which ones to get,,so i have some doubles..once in awhile she calls from the mall to ask about some figures currently there and to see if i want her to pick them up

Like RJBrian, I can't give you a woman's opinion. Single, and probably glad to be. Hell, think of all the hen pecking I would get.

My girl is just a big a collector as I am. She's a diehard Star Wars and Batman fan. She own almost every Star Wars toy since 95! We go on shopping spree's together all the time and yes we buy each other toys all the time.

Draven #US1#

my older brother telling me to GROW UP!!..im sure all collectors have heard that..but you know , i tell him the same as the rest..i work, come home , spend time with wife and kids , i support my family in everyway possible..i dont go out drinking and sleeping around all night.. im not a drug addict.. i dont beat my wife or kids..which compared to alot of the world.. im doing pretty well..so in my spare ( my ) time..if i want to collect gi joe, or transformers , or whatever,, thats my business.

All very good points! :)

Hobbies develop for any number of reasons and who knows WHY, except that it's something we've gravitated towards and have a deep interest in. I could be into cars or motorcycles, like my older brothers, and collect pieces of both, to store in my garage, with the idea that I'm going to assemble all the parts one day into a WHOLE vehicle. @haha@

I'm also into music myself, and have a part-time weekend job as a self-employeed mobile DJ entertaining for wedding receptions mostly. I have a hobby that actually earns me some extra cash in this case. The expense for putting together the equipment, maintaining it, and keeping up with the music needs, can be just as much as any hobby if not MORE, but like I mentioned before, I can MAKE money off of it.

Some collectors, probably have in mind that these collections can earn some money for them at some time in the future, as it seems eBay is full of these auctions and people who DON'T have...spending quite a bit so they DO have. Me personally? I just like G.I.Joe, and always have, even as a kid in the 60's and 70's, I played with them, because my imagination was of the type that gravitated towards the type of "play" that they offer.

The soldier, action hero theme has excited me from day one. I still like movies that have this same theme, and I can't help but enjoy having these toys as a collection. While you won't catch me out in the backyard, belly down, blowing up Cobra Mountain with firecrackers, or pushing a Patriot Grizzly thru the mud blasting away with super sonic sound effects, provided by batteries or my mouth....I have these little scenarios playing thru my head, almost daily. ;)

Nevertheless, I home on a regular basis with my family, and not absent engaging in some hobby that keeps me away, more often than not, and that makes my wife VERY happy. Her 1st husband, was into softball, rauquetball, golfing, darts with the buddies at a local tavern, building up junk cars in the garage and.....womanizing on the side (apparently ;) ) He was pretty much doing his own thing on a daily routine AWAY from the family.

I guess she considers my hobby to be fairly tame! @loll@

Well, i just turned 19 and fro christmas my girlfriend bought me the VvV Alley Viper / Viper pack!!! She is very supportive. We started dating in 2002 and then i notices joes on the shelves again. so she was there first but i told her that i used to have these and she accepts it. she thinks it cute because guys my age dont collect toys ( she doesnt have the internet so she doesnt know about the boards and the whole fandom) she buys me stuff when i tell her what i want/need and i have to write it down or she'll forget. But she loves me no matter what and she is best girl and shes all mine.

My girlfriend thinks it's cute. And on occassion likes to play with them. When I got the Takara Microforce figures over the summer she loved the articulation and kept putting them into little ballet dancing poses...

And she can't really hold it against me when she collects just as much as I do with her shoujo magazine giveaways.

then a few weeks later she finds the uss flagg,terror drome, tomahawk, rc crossfire, phantom stealth, some other vehicles and about 50 pre 88 figures  at a garage sale for $200.00 dollars , calls me and tells me about it. freaking out i rush to where she was and boys this stuff was MINT & COMPLETE any collector would cry just see'ing them! but 200 was alot of money i talked the guy down to 150. and i still past on it cause back in 95 $150. was alot of money to us... then my wife was like "if you dont buy this im gonna comeback and just buy it...and have to drive it home  in my festiva"

That's one of the most ROMANTIC things I've ever heard. Good thing you married her. :D

hey V.H. i hear you all the way...being of the 'older' members...i'm 40 as of oct. 14'th.....i grew up with the 12" dudes...and man, my imagination and thier articulation and accessary's propelled me to another world....i'm somewhat new to the 3 3/4" guys.......but love the "brain-fun" i'm having with them.......

I am single, but I have yet to go toy hunting to more than two stores at a time alone. All but one girl I have ever taken with me has found it cute (hint hint).

But this "brain-fun" gets annoying since I act the scenes out in my head, but when I want to make a dio out of 'em, I want to have so much happening at once I don't get a single Dio together... :-P

-Kevin

hi. i'm 22 and so is my Lady:) my girlfriend is totally supportive of my collecting habits. when i was REALLY into MOTU, she was always on the hunt for me, especially when i wasn't around. she loved surprising me with my current target toy. this summer, we're planning on doing a massive GIJoe dio together. she's reading up on the filecards in her spare time to get to know the characters. she helps pick up comics and video games, too. i love her!!! :wub:

VH: "The soldier, action hero theme has excited me from day one. I still like movies that have this same theme, and I can't help but enjoy having these toys as a collection. While you won't catch me out in the backyard, belly down, blowing up Cobra Mountain with firecrackers, or pushing a Patriot Grizzly thru the mud blasting away with super sonic sound effects, provided by batteries or my mouth....I have these little scenarios playing thru my head, almost daily."

That is me right there bro. I have always thought out scenerios but never acted them out fully. I'm about to work on a Cobra citadel and act out some of my plans. I will post pics when done.

yeah my girlfriend gives me flak all the time. she thinks its cute that at 20 years old i still buy joes like fat people buy big macs.shes always complaining i spend to much on joes and thats why im always broke. well what does she do she goes and buys the MCC for christmas for me... women... they make no sense at all.

Hey General Hawk, you have to keep in mind the three rules of bachelorism (edited):

1. Women are no darn good

2. You will never find a woman who treats you as good as your mother

3. Your mother treats you like crap

My uncle trained me well, and he spoke from expieriance. Too bad he learned too late. :D