My Thoughts

A Nonny Moose

So far, I have most of the VvV first wave, save for the CObra Quad (AKA Ferret 2), and I can say that I am very happy with the mix of older and new characters. The WM exclusives are IMHO very cool, giving me a desert group to display with Dusty. I know not everyone is happy with the figures, and I know a great deal of collectors here battle, but for me, I can set these up and enjoy them on my shelves as a group. Spy Troops was the kind of idea that I would have loved as a kid, and in some ways I really enjoyed the creativity that was used to come up eith the idea. The execution, on the other hand, was bad in quite a few cases. All in all, it seems like the designers and sculpters have really found their stride sinve the first GvC 2 packs. And I enjoyed those for what they were: an attempt to return Joe to the marketplace, and build the groundwork for the lines to come, improving along the way (O ring return).

To me, it seems like we are on the cusp of a potential seconf Golden Age of Joe, with a nice variety of product, from the 12 inch, to the TRU, KB, and Wal-Mart Exclusives to the current line, to the Busts and Statues, to the mail-in figures, as well as the DVD and figure set, there's something for everyone.

I just wanted to shine a different light on things. One that shows why now is a good time to be a collector.

Edit: forgot my ST part.

I agree; with all of the complaints I've had, it is the best time to be a collector. Most of us here are grown with grown-up jobs. No longer do we have to rely on parents or older siblings in order to add to our collections. We can go out and get it pretty much any time we want relatively. We can even go to eBay and buy back some beloved Joes we lost or didn't take very good care of as kids. And some of the re-issues have been better than some of the originals. (Compare the new Python Patrol to the old one, and tell me it's not better for a good example of this.) I may have my gripes, but overall it is the best time to be a collector. Old stuff is still available in most cases, and there is some really good stuff coming out most of the time.

I dont like the new line and will probably only snatch up vehicles from now on. Im an old school fan and cant enjoy the new figures for several reasons:

1) accessories, everyone is getting the same accessories and there doesnt seem to be any specialization

2) hands, these guys cant hold their mismatched accessories with the exception of those that have swivel wrists. Even the Recondo had problems, though

3) lack of detail and that weird comic appearance in the face. I can only afford to support one toy collection and its ARAH or ARAH rereleases. These new toys cant really be incorporated into the older line

What is far better than the new joes would be the power team figures. These figures are just awesome and have the best articulation that Ive come across. They dont have O-rings but have the same range of motion eliminating the need for one. They can all realistically hold their realistic weapons and are very cheap at 4.99 for a pack of 3

But I agree it is a great time to be a collector. In the late nineties many of us were assed out but now we can get joes at many retailers and what we cant find we can search for on ebay. I just wished there would be more ARAH rereleases soon

I dont like the new line and will probably only snatch up vehicles from now on. Im an old school fan and cant enjoy the new figures for several reasons:

1) accessories, everyone is getting the same accessories and there doesnt seem to be any specialization

2) hands, these guys cant hold their mismatched accessories with the exception of those that have swivel wrists. Even the Recondo had problems, though

3) lack of detail and that weird comic appearance in the face. I can only afford to support one toy collection and its ARAH or ARAH rereleases. These new toys cant really be incorporated into the older line

What is far better than the new joes would be the power team figures. These figures are just awesome and have the best articulation that Ive come across. They dont have O-rings but have the same range of motion eliminating the need for one. They can all realistically hold their realistic weapons and are very cheap at 4.99 for a pack of 3

But I agree it is a great time to be a collector. In the late nineties many of us were assed out but now we can get joes at many retailers and what we cant find we can search for on ebay. I just wished there would be more ARAH rereleases soon

While the Power Team stuff is nicely articulated, the LOOK like crap. And the guns are even worse. The only reason I even bought a set was to see how well the REST of the equipment worked with Joes (and that is reasonably well).

They may be cheaper than Joes, but that is just it...they are cheap.