At What Level Do The Gundam Model Kits Stop Being

Dolphin-Snagger

To the best of my knowledge all Gundam kits are supposed to be snap together. Some of the larger ones have a couple of screws to help support the joints, but I've never had to use glue on a Gundam kit. I've got the entire Gundam Wing/EW series varying from 1/144th to 1/100th scale as well as a couple of Master kits. And just recently I went ahead & bought the Gundam Seed Striker Weapons System kit. Truly a sight to behold, incredibly massive (12" tall, the sword & big rifle are even bigger) & not a drop of glue needed.

I think the 1/72 perfect grade ones require a bit of glue and screws and aren't just snap together. They do have snap together elements since they also tend to have removable "skins" to reveal their internal skeletons, so you simply don't glue the body panels into place.

Deathswitchofdoom,

If this is gonna be your first time, stick with the High Grade ones (they're most of the cool ones anyway). I prefer 1/100 myself, as it does look better and worth the cost. The only time I would ever think of getting 1/144 is if that is the only scale it comes in. And even then, I might just consider the action figure. 1/100 is great if you don't feel like painting them. There's enough color on them so that you don't have to.

I'm about to start my Master Grade RX-78-05... my first MG Gundam model. :)

Mad Method,

If you're interested in either the Launcher Strike, Sword Strike or Aile Strike Gundams, there's a 1/60 kit that has all three. Basically, it's the same core Gundam with accessories and parts for all three types: Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System. It's pretty cool and it retails for about $70 bucks.

The 3 types by themselves (at 1/100) would be about $22 bucks a pop anyway, but at least the Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System is bigger too. I do find it cool that you can plug in whatever you want at the hardpoints. Unless of course, you want all three displayed at the same time.

Mad Method,

If you're interested in either the Launcher Strike, Sword Strike or Aile Strike Gundams, there's a 1/60 kit that has all three. Basically, it's the same core Gundam with accessories and parts for all three types: Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System. It's pretty cool and it retails for about $70 bucks.

The 3 types by themselves (at 1/100) would be about $22 bucks a pop anyway, but at least the Strike Gundam Striker Weapon System is bigger too. I do find it cool that you can plug in whatever you want at the hardpoints. Unless of course, you want all three displayed at the same time.

Though I like the Aile and Laucher Striker, I'm just going to get the sword striker ( gotta love that sword) and Freedom. Besides I like to paint the figures that come with the 1/100th scale kits and don't have room for anything bigger than that.

• 3 weeks later...
I hear that. I prefer 100 scale too, mostly because all of the ones I already have are 100 scale. I don't think I own many 144 or 60 scale Gundam models... 1 or 2 at most.

As far as Seed, I like the Launcher Strike myself. ;)

Do you have any of the Seed models, 8speed? I have Buster, Sword Strike, Justice, and Freedom with Dual and Aegis on the way.

I'm thinking about getting the HG 1/100 scale Launcher Strike Gundam, but I'm hoping a MG version of it will come along. I get'em pretty cheap at work so I'll see what happens. I'll probably stick to the HG grade for this one though (don't really like Aile Strike, which does have a MG grade version).

I still have to get around to watching the anime TV series... hehe. :D Maybe that'll push me to buy more from this series.

I'm fast getting addicted to MG grade Gundams. I finished my MG RX-78-05 just before Christmas (I displayed it at my job too... :D), and boy... is it awesome. Took me about 3 hours to put it together ( I don't put on decals and I don't paint them), but it was worth it. I was surprised it took me twice as long to put it together compared to a HG one, but the MG was like super-detailed. Very nice kit and I'm more inclined to get a MG grade now than a HG (unless it was available in HG only - which is usually the case).

I'm thinking about getting the HG 1/100 scale Launcher Strike Gundam, but I'm hoping a MG version of it will come along. I get'em pretty cheap at work so I'll see what happens. I'll probably stick to the HG grade for this one though (don't really like Aile Strike, which does have a MG grade version).

I still have to get around to watching the anime TV series... hehe. :D Maybe that'll push me to buy more from this series.

I'm fast getting addicted to MG grade Gundams. I finished my MG RX-78-05 just before Christmas (I displayed it at my job too... :D), and boy... is it awesome. Took me about 3 hours to put it together ( I don't put on decals and I don't paint them), but it was worth it. I was surprised it took me twice as long to put it together compared to a HG one, but the MG was like super-detailed. Very nice kit and I'm more inclined to get a MG grade now than a HG (unless it was available in HG only - which is usually the case).

Wow three hours is fast man. I mostly do about 5 hours of work on them.

You can paint them before removing them from the sprues.

And even if you don't paint them you can paint in the panel lines with a very small marker. Smaller than 1mm. It really improves the look of them.

I guess that's the reason it only took me 3 hours. I didn't do the detailing and I don't paint them. The MG RX-78-05 looks pretty good as it is, as do most HG and MG kits... so all in all, I'll save myself the trouble. ;)

Besides, I kinda fell out of the habit of detailing them a few years back because I used to handle them alot, and the detailing got smudged and all that. I would only do it for the kits that I build for work, but that's few and far inbetween.

And even when I don't do any of the painting and detailing, a MG kit can still take a long time, as proved by trying to put together the MG MS-07B GOUF. That damn heat rod took me an hour.

• 1 year later...
I think the 1/72 perfect grade ones require a bit of glue and screws and aren't just snap together. They do have snap together elements since they also tend to have removable "skins" to reveal their internal skeletons, so you simply don't glue the body panels into place.

actually the 1/72 grade gundam are larger than perfect grade

perfect grade is 1/60

Ive built them in all grade from small scale all the way up to a perfect grade rx-78-2 I think it was i forgot the code name but it was the first gundam.

I enjoy the master and perfect grade myself. But the perfect grades are apain when it comes to wiring up thelights in them. And both Master grade and perfect grade don't have the modled screw..thingy in the screw holes so they tend to muck up a lot on that part.

I'm thinking about getting the HG 1/100 scale Launcher Strike Gundam, but I'm hoping a MG version of it will come along.

I read somewhere.. gundam watch maybe.. that Launcher is being released for the MG.. by BCLUB... which means it will be expensive.