Return Of The King Movie Thread

alex3540

Saw it yesterday and loved it.  If Peter Jackson doesn't win an Oscar, those awards are a farce. To actually give the LotR books justice is quite a monumental task, and he pulled it off beautifully.  The only complaint was the long ending, not for the length, just because some dorks in the back of the theater laughed through the entire thing, thinking it was too corny.

Dude it was corny....are you kidding me?They dragged the ass outta that ending!I almost gotup and left early, I couldnt take it for much longer.Somehow I made it through, probably cause Im a fan.But how can you not think that ending was too long....?!?The whole meaning of the movie was over 45 mins before they even ended it! @grumpy@

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greatest of the LoTR triology and becoming (or is) as great as star wars trilogy all though the ending dragged out abit, you think its gonna end thens theres a little bit more, then some more then some more.I already knew the edning anyway people who read the book ruined it for me.

Didnt Bilbo look like yoda at the end?

Saw it yesterday and loved it.  If Peter Jackson doesn't win an Oscar, those awards are a farce. To actually give the LotR books justice is quite a monumental task, and he pulled it off beautifully.  The only complaint was the long ending, not for the length, just because some dorks in the back of the theater laughed through the entire thing, thinking it was too corny.

Dude it was corny....are you kidding me?They dragged the ass outta that ending!I almost gotup and left early, I couldnt take it for much longer.Somehow I made it through, probably cause Im a fan.

Right. Lines like 'dude . . . it was corny' shows how much of a fan you really are :rolleyes: . And fans of movies have to force themselves to sit through till the credits begin. Right :rolleyes: .

A real fan would not have wanted the movie to end. A real fan would have felt the emotion at the end of the movie, and been sad that there wasn't going to be any more after this. And a real fan would have appreciated the way Peter Jackson did the shire and grey havens sequence; their only gripe with the ending would have been that they wanted to see more of it. Don't give me that garbage that you're a fan, because liking the battles and the battles only doesn't make you one :rolleyes: . You're just another person who jumped on the movie bandwagon having never read the books (don't even start, if you think they dragged the @$$ out of the movie ending :rolleyes: ) and call yourself a fan @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ . Please :rolleyes: . Give all us real fans a break, will you.

And why does everyone seem to forget that the ending is for three movies, not one? :rolleyes:

hey Maeglin, I can say I have never read the books, i will now. I loved all three movies, but I do consider myself a fan. I also am a fan of movies and I loved all of them and I liked the ending how it tried to tie together alot of loose ends.

hey Maeglin, I can say I have never read the books, i will now.  I loved all three movies, but I do consider myself a fan.  I also am a fan of movies and I loved all of them and I liked the ending how it tried to tie together alot of loose ends.

My response wasn't solely directed at those who've only seen the movies, Skarapz. I was more along the lines of people thinking the ending was way too long (along with that whole 'I'm a fan -- but I thought it was corny' garbage). No one's ever watched Braveheart the whole way through? Titanic? Saving Private Ryan, for that matter? I don't get it, I really don't. And once more, how many hours do people spend in front of the tv each day? The computer? But a 3 and a half hour movie is too long? Damn. Guess no one can stand to watch the super bowl. And I really feel sorry for those people who actually go to sport events, and have to sit in plastic for over three hours.

I believe you're a fan though if you are going to read the books now that you've seen the movie. Most of the movie fans won't do this. But be warned: you may be disappointed depending on what you expect. But at least you thought enough of the movies to read 'em :) .

Oh, and more spoilers. To clear up the whole hero debate I started with you (well, not really a debate, discussion is more like it), everyone was the hero. Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, even Merry and Pippin were heros in their own rights. But the main heroes are Sam, Frodo, and Gollum. Sam because he carried Frodo and without him 'Frodo sure wouldn't have gotten far' (sooo much truth in that line). Gollum because he actually destroys the ring (in my opinion, making him the main hero because it was the hardest task, and also makes him a tragic hero). And Frodo, for Tolkein at least, because he pitied Gollum. This reflected Tolkien's religous nature, which is all over the books, but subtle. He doesn't go about blarring 'God is good!' Frodo was a big a hero to Tolkien for pitying Gollum as much as he would have been if he actually threw the ring in himself. Since Tolkien was catholic, he drew upon much of their values. So what Frodo did was extrememly important to him. Sort of like, 'love thy enemies' and 'turn the other cheek' and the rest of christian teachings. Just thought a fan would be interested in this :) .

I believe you're a fan though if you are going to read the books now that you've seen the movie. Most of the movie fans won't do this. But be warned: you may be disappointed depending on what you expect. But at least you thought enough of the movies to read 'em :) .

why would I be at all disappointed?

Dude it was corny....are you kidding me?They dragged the ass outta that ending!I almost gotup and left early, I couldnt take it for much longer.Somehow I made it through, probably cause Im a fan.

Right. Lines like 'dude . . . it was corny' shows how much of a fan you really are :rolleyes: . And fans of movies have to force themselves to sit through till the credits begin. Right :rolleyes: .

A real fan would not have wanted the movie to end. A real fan would have felt the emotion at the end of the movie, and been sad that there wasn't going to be any more after this. And a real fan would have appreciated the way Peter Jackson did the shire and grey havens sequence; their only gripe with the ending would have been that they wanted to see more of it. Don't give me that garbage that you're a fan, because liking the battles and the battles only doesn't make you one :rolleyes: . You're just another person who jumped on the movie bandwagon having never read the books (don't even start, if you think they dragged the @$$ out of the movie ending :rolleyes: ) and call yourself a fan @loll@ @loll@ @loll@ . Please :rolleyes: . Give all us real fans a break, will you.

And why does everyone seem to forget that the ending is for three movies, not one? :rolleyes:

As if im gonna sit there for another 45 mins.Just to see Sam get married have kids, and Frodo write his damn life story.Then everyone taking another 30 mins to say goodbye to Gandalf,Bilbo, and Frodo as they leave with the elves.I mean my god the movie was over, and if you think Im just there for the battle GET REAL!I wanted to see what happened to the characters, but at the same time I didnt want a whole nother epic on it.So if you think I have to sit through 45 mins of crap I know is going to happen you are a *#** idiot.Plus I might add, you can eat a bag of dicks! @smilepunch@

I believe you're a fan though if you are going to read the books now that you've seen the movie.  Most of the movie fans won't do this.  But be warned:  you may be disappointed depending on what you expect.  But at least you thought enough of the movies to read 'em :) .

why would I be at all disappointed?

Like I said, it depends on what you're expecting. Some of what you saw on screen was changed or added (such as the fact that Arwen isn't a big character in the book at all; about the only part she plays in both the movie and book is the wedding at the end). It's also not like contemporary fantasy novels. There's an extreme amount of detail (which is good, because you can really picture Middle-earth, and the movie benefited greatly in this aspect) and there's a lot of dialogue in some places and no action at all. For instance, the Council of Elrond is one of the longest chapters you will ever read -- ever. And all they do in it basically is discuss the ring. But, if you've read Beowulf, then that's sort of along the same lines as what to expect from the books, because Tolkien modled much of the style of it after that story. View it sort of as a bard telling you a fantasy in a high style :) .

Oh, and I left out mercy in my explanation on why Tolkien thought Frodo was a hero. Can't have pity without the act of it, can you?

'It was pity that stayed Bilbo's hand.' -> mercy.

As if im gonna sit there for another 45 mins.Just to see Sam get married have kids, and Frodo write his damn life story.Then everyone taking another 30 mins to say goodbye to Gandalf,Bilbo, and Frodo as they leave with the elves.I mean my god the movie was over, and if you think Im just there for the battle GET REAL!I wanted to see what happened to the characters, but at the same time I didnt want a whole nother epic on it.So if you think I have to sit through 45 mins of crap I know is going to happen you are a @##@@ idiot.Plus I might add, you can eat a bag of dicks! @smilepunch@

Wow, I never thought I'd see someone revert to a dithering idiot. Did you really time the shire/grey havens part of the ending? Because it felt like no longer than 20 minutes to me at the most. And I love how you keep contradicting yourself. Right, you're there to see what happens to the characters, yet you don't care what happens to them? Tell me, do you think before you type? Or do you just blather out whatever comes to your mind first, and then wipe off all the drool from your keyboard? Just as you're a fan, calling the movie crap :rolleyes: @loll@ . Right. You're a big fan @loll@ . And you knew what was going to happen? So did I. That didn't change the fact that I wanted to see it happen. If you were a real fan, you would have, too.

Yup, and you made your point, referring to a four letter word and something you severly lack, or possibly never had -- let alone a bag of them! @loll@ @loll@ @loll@

#US1#

I really dont feel like wasting anymore time on you my firend.Some nerdy faggot who has only lost his virginity to his hand.Really your opinion means nothing to me, as Im sure you feel the same way.Im also wondering where your seeing I contradicted myself, when I said I didnt want to see a whole nother epic on these characters.Their was no way that was twenty minutes, plus to be a fan doesnt mean you have to enjoy every last god damn minute of the movie.Have you ever heard of contructive criticism.....? :rolleyes: Also I might add I saw the movie opening night, and had to see the movie from front row.My neck could only stand the torture for so long.Also I dont have to wipe any drool off my keyboard, but if you werent to busy hidding behind your comp startin #$## with people.Id be wiping your blood off my @##@@ knuckles!

I hope this topic doesnt get locked, but anyways Maeglin or anyone else who wants to answer, in the books or anywhere why in the third movie didnt Any of the tree Imps or what not, or any of the Elves except Legolas HELP for the final battle?

Hey Skarapz,

I haven't read the books either so I'm going to speculate here. I think the Ents didn't get involved because they were mostly concerned with the safety of the trees in Fangorn, and since at that point Sauron's forces weren't threatening any forests, then they weren;t going to act against the forces from Mordor. Also, I believe they stayed behind guarding Saruman, who was supposedly trapped in Isengard.

I believe the elves didn't engage Sauron's forces because they had all left to wherever Gandalf, Frodo and Bilbo go off to in the end. In fact, Elrond, Galadriel and her lover are the last elves to leave Middle Earth (not counting Arwen and Legolas who stay behind, of course).

Now for the comments of someone who actually knows what they are talking about.... :)

Damn, Man-3-Faces. A nerdy *I won't repeat the word in case I might offend someone* who has only lost his virginity to his hand? I love your presumptions. Brilliant ones like these usually -- if not always -- reflect the person who says them. It surely doesn't reflect me.

As for your opinion, I'm all for it. I just find it hilarious that you could call yourself a fan of the movie and call it corny in the same post! Then, you say you went to see the movie not for the battles (solely) but to see what happened to the characters -- but didn't want to see anything past Mount Doom! Maybe you misworded, and wanted to see what happened to the ring?

And yes I've heard of constructive criticism. Saying a movie was corny and too long is not being constructive in the least. Granted, if my neck was cramping from sitting in the front row all night long (which it thankfully was not), I think I would have wanted to leave as well -- I would have also inserted this earlier in my posts to let people know that it wasn't out of personal taste alone that drove me to thinking the movie was way too long. Otherwise, I might have had some compassion for you :) . And sure, you don't have to love every minute of the movie (I found concerns with the Mount Doom sequence, only to find out that PJ also directed the correct ending *grumblings*). But thinking the ending was corny, and then calling it constructive criticisim? Was it because they were hugging? You seem to have an anger towards this sort of thing @hmmm@ .

And, yup, I'm hiding behind my computer . . . just as you are. But why would you be wiping the blood off your knuckles? Is your computer screen that hard?

Oh, and one last thing, if my opinion means nothing to you, why do you keep replying? *coughcontradictingcough* :)

I hope this topic doesnt get locked, but anyways Maeglin or anyone else who wants to answer, in the books or anywhere why in the third movie didnt Any of the tree Imps or what not, or any of the Elves except Legolas HELP for the final battle?

Ents, not Imps :) . Nash is basically correct on that point.

As for the Elves, Sauron just didn't attack Minas Tirith -- though it would seem so in the films. Lothlorien, Rivendell, and the Lonely Mountain were also attacked, and had to be defended (Haldir never comes to the aide of the Rohirrim in Helm's Deep, BTW). He did this to keep the other free peoples of Middle-earth from coming to Gondor's aide (much as he used Saruman for this purpose in Rohan, who failed). They weren't as big a strike, but they were powerful enough to hold them at bay.

And it always did strike me as odd that Legolas would be the only elf chosen, since they are such fearsome warriors. I could always see Gandalf looking down at Merry and Pippin and saying, 'You know, Elrond, maybe two more Elves in their place wouldn't be such a bad idea.' But it might have also upset the defense in such places already mentioned, and Legolas was the only one that the elves they were able to spare without weakening themselves. This is just speculation, however, and Tolkien probably never thought of adding any more elves, because that would detract from the friendship that Legolas and Gimli develop.

Ents, not Imps :) . Nash is basically correct on that point.

As for the Elves, Sauron just didn't attack Minas Tirith -- though it would seem so in the films. Lothlorien, Rivendell, and the Lonely Mountain were also attacked, and had to be defended (Haldir never comes to the aide of the Rohirrim in Helm's Deep, BTW). He did this to keep the other free peoples of Middle-earth from coming to Gondor's aide (much as he used Saruman for this purpose in Rohan, who failed). They weren't as big a strike, but they were powerful enough to hold them at bay.

And it always did strike me as odd that Legolas would be the only elf chosen, since they are such fearsome warriors. I could always see Gandalf looking down at Merry and Pippin and saying, 'You know, Elrond, maybe two more Elves in their place wouldn't be such a bad idea.' But it might have also upset the defense in such places already mentioned, and Legolas was the only one that the elves they were able to spare without weakening themselves. This is just speculation, however, and Tolkien probably never thought of adding any more elves, because that would detract from the friendship that Legolas and Gimli develop.

OK i see what you and nash say, and thats kool, but there are plenty of elves on that little caravan section lol where Arwynn was on, go fight you pansies lol. Nah I went and saw the movie for the third time and it still bothers me. #US1#

Man you are the biggest smart ass I have ever met.But anyways for the sake of others Im gonna let this be, cause this thread is after all about the movie.By the way I will retract corny an say the ending was long winded.Does anyone think they will make a movie about Bilbo soon?Hopefuly doin a better job than has been done with the SW:Clone War movies.

I imagine those orcs and trolls probably ran back to the Mines of Moria or to the closest hole in the ground they could find (maybe they are related to Saddam :) )

I heard somewhere that a movie pitch for The Hobbit was being considered and that maybe PJ would direct. I also heard that PJ would not consider directing it after devoting so much time to LOTR. Anybody know anything concrete?

PJ has signalled his interest in making The Hobbit. if all goes well, we should see it in cinemas in 3-5 years time. the only stumbling block now is getting the rights to the book which the Tolkien family don't seem to be too keen in releasing.