A Gi Joe Video Game?

Violentfix

Well, after taking my wife on a get-a-way weekend vacation and pulling all of the stops to make it romantic and all, I decided now would be a good time to do something for myself that she would not 100% approve of.

I bought an XBox.

So are there any plans for a GI Joe video game. If it's been mentioned before I probably missed it. Being a musician the only computers I ever use are MACs and lord knows that only 25% of games ever make it to MAC. (Call it selective reading)

So GI Joe Video game!

Anyone?

Speaking of Joe videogames, anyone remember the arcade Joe game? You picked one of 4 character (SE, Scarlette, Roadblock, and I think Duke), and you just ran forward blasting everything that moved. It probably came out about 1991~1992. That was a fun game. Redundant, but fun. Which the people who made it ported it to a console...

I loved playing that game, they had it in an arcade in the mall that I went to a lot. At one point I went back to try and see if I could buy it, but it was already gone and the guy working there said it was no telling where it got shipped to. I've since tried to find it on some internet sites that sell coin-op games, but I've had no luck. If anybody can help me out please let me know.

When I was at the convention in SF this past year I was talking to some of the Hasbro/Gi Joe Team members after the round table and they commented to me that there are several outlets they are seeking when I asked them if there was plans for a game etc. They said the same thing when I asked them if they were going to resurect Serpentor.....all I got was a BIG smile and a comment, "everyone needs a scapegoat".

If it hasn't shown up at any of the big game shows yet (E3, TGS) , then it probably isn't gonna happen anytime soon. There is no mention of it in any game magazines.

I forget which developer was mentioned, but I don't think they were that good anyway. Don't think it was any of the big ones (Konami, Capcom, etc...).

I forget which developer was mentioned, but I don't think they were that good anyway. Don't think it was any of the big ones (Konami, Capcom, etc...).

Yeah. It was a small developer. I wanna say they were canadian, don't quote me on that though. I would love to play a GIJoe game for playstation 2.

Man that would be great if they came out with another G.I. Joe game I would buy it and play it for god know's how long

If they could make it good I would be doing the same thing. I've often thought while playing other games that why can't we get a game like this (ex Metal Gear Solid) and have the main character a Joe and you go through the game fighting Cobra.

Yeah. It was a small developer. I wanna say they were canadian, don't quote me on that though. I would love to play a GIJoe game for playstation 2.

I don't think they were small or anything, just not one of the big names or one of the really successful companies. It was one that was more obscure, like THQ, Atari, or possibly Midway.

Shame it most likely won't be a 3rd person stealth/shoot-em up like SOCOM. About the only genre I'm interested in these days.

Maybe a 3D action/adventure title? Like the new TMNT game but with guns...

...I thought there were plans to make one. The developer was even named. Back at about wave 4 or 5 I believe.

IF you judge time by waves of toys, you might be a fanboy

Actually a few months ago, Electronic Gaming Monthly stated that Atari was working on a game for the G.I. Joe license, so I think it's officially a "go" at this point.

It was issue #171 and said:

"G.I. Joe- These real American heroes went AWOL after decent NES and arcade games, but--good news!--our spies say that Atari is working on a Joe action game for Playstation 2. Stay tuned for more in an upcoming episode of Electronic Gaming Monthly."

So, there is one possibly, although for PS2, not for X-Box...sorry, Violentfix. :) But chances are it'll be multi-platform I'd imagine.

Justin

There was a news piece on QKTheatre a while back that Atari was gonna be developing the game and it would be released sometime after the Transformers Armada game was released since both are being developed right now. Plans were for a summer/fall 2004 release.

Yup it's Atari who owns the rights. I hope they don't mess it up with a lame fighter or some other cheap licensed game.

Speaking of Joe videogames, anyone remember the arcade Joe game? You picked one of 4 character (SE, Scarlette, Roadblock, and I think Duke), and you just ran forward blasting everything that moved. It probably came out about 1991~1992. That was a fun game. Redundant, but fun. Which the people who made it ported it to a console...

I only got to play it once when I was about ten or eleven. My dad took my brother and I to Disneyland for our birthdays. I spent about $20 playing that game specifically. For some reason I think Major Bludd was in it flying a Harrier, but I could be wrong.

If anyone does find it... Preferably a ROM, I'd be interested in it too.

(At 5 am there is nothing on TV)

-Kevin

I only got to play it once when I was about ten or eleven. My dad took my brother and I to Disneyland for our birthdays. I spent about $20 playing that game specifically. For some reason I think Major Bludd was in it flying a Harrier, but I could be wrong.

If anyone does find it... Preferably a ROM, I'd be interested in it too.

(At 5 am there is nothing on TV)

-Kevin

THat arcade game brings back a lot of good memories. I remember flying in a helicoptor through a Cobra controled city and blastinr away everything in site. Does anyone even know who the manufacturer was? If you find that out then you never know, they might have a warehouse of them collecting dust.

Great thing about having a home studio with sound proofing!

at 5am I'm playing Ghost Recon with every light off and the volume at the max.

22958-protoolsroom.jpg

I just can't believe they waited so long. I mean c'mon..a dukes of hazzard and starsky and hutch set of games?!?!?!?!?

I heard a rumor a while back that development was well underway on a 3rd person action format to be released in tandem with The transformers game when the powers that be at infogrames/atari took a good notice at the MASSIVE success of a little known game called HALO(>bowing respectfully in general direction of my x-box<) and decided to scrap the progress thus far and start anew with a more halo'ish 1st person/3rd person vehicle format. I think they probably want to ride the hipe and inevitable success of halo 2(>bows again<).

And if memory serves, I think either taito or capcom was the developer of the early 90's arcade side scroller. I think it was capcom, as they developed the arcade aliens vs predetor game of the same time. And the two formats and graphics were nearly identicle.

What game is this joe mod gonna run on Shipp? plz say starcraft, plz say starcraft................plz say starcraft

There was a news piece on QKTheatre a while back that Atari was gonna be developing the game and it would be released sometime after the Transformers Armada game was released since both are being developed right now. Plans were for a summer/fall 2004 release.

Yup it's Atari who owns the rights. I hope they don't mess it up with a lame fighter or some other cheap licensed game.

Does Atari have any good engines in their arsenal? Paying for the license probably costed them a pretty penny, so I'm thinking they'll just use an existing engine to offset the costs of producing this game.

Either way, I don't have high hopes, especially with Atari at the helm. Have they done anything good in the last 2 years or so?

I think it was capcom, as they developed the arcade aliens vs predetor game of the same time.

If the AvP game you're talking about is the one where 2 Marines and 2 Predators were playable characters in a side-scroller, then I have to say that is probably my favorite side-scrolling beat'em/shoot'em up of all time. Even better than Final Fight, Captain Commando, Mercs and Desert Assault.