Stalker (a Coward?)

Violentfix

Once a year I pull out my original GI Joe comics and read them through from issue one till the end, including Special Mission and European Missions. This time however, (and for some reason this never really clicked in my head untill this time around) I found that Larry Hama wrote Stalkers character to be quite a coward.

Now I know that he's supposed to be the guy in charge thats trying to get his boys back home and achieve the mission objective and all. I mean sure, I understand that soldiers can become overly emotional and get themselves killed trying to save a buddy from apparent death and that there needs to be someone to be the voice of reason from time to time.

However, it seems to me that Stalker pulls his team out of the fire as soon as it starts to become hairy, and not only that, he also doesn't care about any of the men that he leaves behind. (Dead, or even at times alive) I'm not just talking about the famous Snake-eyes story from Vietnam, but repeatedly throughout the series you can find time and time again, Stalker Pulls the team out, he orders someone to leave someone else behind, (sometimes that person disobeys the order and pulls their buddy out anyway, and Stalkers always like, "Duh Sorry bout that".) And I'm not talking about a situation where a man hangs back to cover a withdrawl, I mean a man down on the ground, maybe a bullet in his leg or something.

After a fresh read through the series it becomes quite apparent.

Violentfix

Wow, that's a dramatic personification, Violentfix. I never really looked at it that way. While I haven't read my issues in a loooong time, I defintely didn't consider Stalker a coward in any sense of the word.

Maybe I have to go back and re-read these issues, but I consider Stalker one of the bravest and most bad ass guys on the team...what specific issues/events make you come to this conclusion?

Justin

Wow, that's a dramatic personification, Violentfix. I never really looked at it that way. While I haven't read my issues in a loooong time, I defintely didn't consider Stalker a coward in any sense of the word.

Maybe I have to go back and re-read these issues, but I consider Stalker one of the bravest and most bad ass guys on the team...what specific issues/events make you come to this conclusion?

Justin

I'll try to come up with some kind of list later on tonight. There are a lot of issues to sort through, but I think I have a good idea of a few examples.

I always just figured Stalker was pragmatic. I dont have much of a comic collection, but for that with Sneaky kicking it, I always just figured Lonzo wanted to keep his unit in tact. Going out on a limb to save a guy that probably doesnt officially exist(like most of the team, I imagine) and is certainly dead, when the unit is already small to start- would be silly I imagine.

I dont really go much with the comic characterizations anymore anyways. Im still trying ot find the time to get RI Joe off the ground and running- and I can assure that Lonzo will be one hard-a#$ed LRRPer.

Here are a few instances that I was able to bring up by memory and a quick look back.

Issue 26, the famous snake-eyes history were Stalker orders tommy to leave snakes. We also later learn that (earlier that day Stalker order them to leave Wade Collins as well. Issue 43)

Issue 13, Gung ho suggests that Snakes may have pushed Kwinn and Dr. Venom into the bunker before the bomb hit. Stalker breezes this idea off and just says no, that islands been vaporized. (obviously he was wrong)

Issue 39, Stalker insults Recondo for taking a brief moment to remember the three fallen Tucaros that helped them, he then goes on to say that (Someone) "not him" has to swim the river with a rope so they can get away.

Issue 113, Stalker orders dusty not to try and help Sneakpeak, (even though he's still alive).

Starting to see what I mean. It's like every time Larry needed some drama caused by a command desicion that no one agreed with, he just choose Stalker to be the guy to give it.

I think Stalker was just doing what he thought best for his unit as a whole. In the case of Sneak Peek and Dusty for example. What would most likely happen? Dusty would be wounded too. What should Stalker do then? Send two more people to save Dusty AND Sneak Peek?

I think Stalker is a realist. He seems more grounded than most of the other Joes. I always think Stalker made an excellent "second in command" behind Hawk then Duke.

i think stalker was just doing his job as a commander, first and foremost the mission comes first! the needs of the many outway the needs of the few or the one. it takes a big man to make those big decisions like that and stalker was the perfect level headed joe for the job. probably why they put him in charge so often. i think ol'stalker did alright.

TM

I think Stalker was just doing what he thought best for his unit as a whole. In the case of Sneak Peek and Dusty for example. What would most likely happen? Dusty would be wounded too. What should Stalker do then? Send two more people to save Dusty AND Sneak Peek?

I think Stalker is a realist. He seems more grounded than most of the other Joes. I always think Stalker made an excellent "second in command" behind Hawk then Duke.

Granted, but Dusty ended up going for Sneak Peek anyway and managed to grab him and succeeded in taking out the offending Cobras

Stalker's problem for leaving other behind I think is mostly because he's just trying to do what he needs to to keep the other's alive. You can't bring people back from the dead.

Or, it could just be that Stalker has some kind of problem where he just can't face see the bodies of fallen friends; after all, he was the commander that lead them to getting killed. So, it's just psycologically easier form him to deal with being partly responsible for their deaths if he doesn't have to see the bodies.

Issue 13, Gung ho suggests that Snakes may have pushed Kwinn and Dr. Venom into the bunker before the bomb hit. Stalker breezes this idea off and just says no, that islands been vaporized. (obviously he was wrong)

I thought it was Kwinn who pushed SE and Dr.Venom into the bunker. I think SE was preoccupied with bating the crap outta Venom.

I never realized Stalker was such a jerk.

I don't care if he was doing his job. Alot of the other Joes never had a problem getting a wounded comrade out of a hairy situation.

Here's a tip for the Joes, if you are on a mission with Stalker in charge, do not get shot or you will be left behind and die.