Anyone Have Pics Of Snake-eyes Without His Mask?

Pimp Masta Dee

The topic about Cobra Commander unmasked has made me think of something. Snake-Eyes is my favorite character (obviously). I know how his face and vocal chords got ruined. It said in one comic that there was no way to make him look human, so it could be sort of gross. But does anyone have pics of what Snake-Eyes looks like under the mask?

Hey, I don't have a scanner working right now, but if you get issues 93-95 or 96 of the original series, there is a closeup shot of him without the mask. It was the storyline where he was going to get reconstructive surgery but it turned out to be a Cobra clinic. I'll see if I can get the scanner working, but don't hold your breath. Sorry. @hmmm@

16835-snakesscars.gif

Are you serious? That's kinda weird, with the scars and the really wide eye, but it's not really THAT gross. I mean, I guess it would be in real life, but I expected his face to be unbelievably horrifying, like Dr. Doom's. Also, it looks like he has some old guy wrinkles, which shouldn't be, since he is a fairly young guy. Actually, I'm guessing that's another effect from the burns. WOW. Old guy burns? Just disregard that sentence. LOL. Thanks, 8speed.

Well you have to understand that his face was MUCH worse originally...

In his origin, Scarlett makes a comment that 'the best plastic surgeons in the world tried every trick in the book...' or something to that effect. Presumably, they were able to help him to some degree... just not enough.

Also, he did receive other injuries throughout the series... I know there are a few shots of his eyes sprinkled in the comics, and it's not bulging like that. He also recieved a few other surgeries 'off-panel,' but nothing that completely restored him.

The original injuries, IIRC, were massive burns (Scarlett says that SE carried her out of the helicopter wreck 'with his head still on fire'), major nerve damage (it was hinted that the reason he was in the sensory deprivation chanber in issue #2 was to help him control the pain and numbness), and at first, it was mentioned that he had some eye damage, but that it was repaired. The vocal chords, from what I understand, were completely torched- barring a complete miracle, he's not getting them back.

And of course shortly after he got the surgery in the original series,he got a hot branding iron in his face. Ouch!

Well, not really, it was more like a brazier bowl full of hot coal (or whatever the hell was in there).

The SE's would-be torturer got the branding iron in the face, courtesy of our man, SE.

Wow. That's the first pic I've seen of SE without his mask before he got his face fixed up a bit. That eye is really bugging me. The thoughts of seeing something like that in real life kind turns my stomach (i got a good imagination lol). I would like to see what SE would do to the person who messed his face up that bad again. I remember in the DD comics when he emptied his uzi into an elevator trying to get SS for slashing his face.

Wow. That's the first pic I've seen of SE without his mask before he got his face fixed up a bit.

Lucky the pic is so small. Imagine being a kid seeing it for the first time and having the pic the size of an entire comic page (me too lazy to dig out my old comic to verify, but I think it was the size of the entire page). Now that was disturbing.

First of all,thanks for correcting me. It's been awhile since I've read that issue. As to the picture,when I first saw it,I thought "what's the big deal?" Didn't seem like much to me. Then I had the thought that was brought up earlier here. He had earlier surgery so it's not as bad as when it first happened. Now that had to be nasty looking.

That eye is really bugging me. The thoughts of seeing something like that in real life kind turns my stomach

Just imagine HIS chagrin. HE'S the one who had to live with it for over a decade.

I would like to see what SE would do to the person who messed his face up that bad again. I

I don't think anyone did it to him as a conscious act. The disfigurement happened due to an explosion while he was rescuing Scarlett. Vengeance isn't that big a component of his character anyway. He got angry but rescued the Baroness after she shot Scarlett and couldnt kill Major Bludd after he commited an attrocity because he was unarmed. He's sort of transcended that for the most part. Probably due to meditating and Arashikage Clan mental disciplines.

I imagined it looking different from that. I dont understand how it would look anything like that, with a bugged out eye. Thats more like a birth defect looking thing. Besides, with his eye bugging out like that, he wouldnt have been able to wear a mask, since his eye would stick to it on the side.

Issues 102-5 have him in Borovia without his mask in parts. I like him more without a full mask. Something like blackout's goggles would be cool. (winks at qeelocke)

Does anyone have a picture of the sensory deprivation chanber in issue #2?

Not really much to see. I think it looks like a really big ice machine with a bunch of pipes attached.

The scene takes place over four panels, a few pages into the issue. In the first two panels, a guy from the Army comes to collect SE for another mission, and mouthing off to one of the technicians/scientists, bangs on the door (which would accomplish nothing, as SE can't hear it, but judging from the guy's attitude, he likely knows and doesn't care).

The next panel is a view from behind SE's head as he opens the door and exits the unit. The Army guy is very unnerved, given the shocked look on his face and his exclamation of "My god! Th-that face..."

The third panel has SE putting on his mask. The two scientists in the room are obviously more annoyed with the Army guy, with one of them commenting that they are used to his appearance, and one commenting that SE "spends up to eight hours at a time in that total sensory deprivation unit!"

Simple knowledge of medical sicence and a little too much Discovery Channel tell me that immersion in an SDU for that length of time is incredibly unusual, generally used only on patients who have servere nerve trauma and cannot sleep because of incredible amounts of pain.

Other scenes of facial torture (complied mainly for my own amusement):

SE's face is also hinted at when Dr Venom captures him and subjects him to the brainwave scanner (#10), and we are actually given a few shots of him without his mask from the nose down, but the flesh is blacked out for no real reason... although one might wonder if SE wears black makeup, as it would help to conceal his facial features (or lack therof) and it's scars if he were ever without his mask in battle.

In issue 11, Doc tries to check SE's face for frostbite and gets a gun in his face. :)

In issue 12, SE, Stalker, Gung-Ho, and Breaker are in Sierra Gordo... they run into Dr Venom again... Fooling Dr Venom into believing he is dead when the Joes are captured, SE is left in a burning warehouse. He runs out with the uppr half of his body on fire, and his mask burning off. Seceral natives make comments about it as SE barrels past on his way to douse himself in the river. He later pops up by another native's boat, scaring the man so badly that he leaps into the river himself. Throughout the rest of the issue, he is maskless, with convenient shadows over his face, even in broad daylight... the 'makeup theory' I mentioned above might have some relevence, but it's just as likely that he had some bad recent burns from his head being on fire... again.

It should be noted that we do get a panel that shows his eyes as he beats on Dr Venom... other than the murderous rage in them, they appear perfectly normal. When we next see SE in #14, he has somehow regained his mask with no explanation, as he has been trapped in a bunker at the bottom of the river, far from any supplies.

Issues 26 and 27, the Snake-Eyes origin issues, have plenty of shots of parts of his face pre-accident... never a full shot, though. After the accident, we see only his 'Invisible Man' getup.

In issue 36, Wade Collins (a CG Fred) pulls of SE's rubber mask and is horrified at what he sees... SE lets go of him, and he unceremoniously falls off the ferry.

In issue 48, a case of 'mistaken' identity while trying to find Zartan, who has infiltrated the Pit, leads Recondo, Torpedo, and Quick-Kick to pin SE and pull of his mask (logic says that SE didn't fight back, as we all know he could have taken all three, but might have injured them in the process). The three are obviously repulsed, with Roadblock commenting "That's the real Snake-Eyes you got there, no doubt about it!"

To my knowledge, this takes us up to issue 50. Frankly, I don't really have the ambition to sit around an catalogue past that right now (although in a geeky sort of way, this was quite fun). I may have missed some in the 30's, as I have major holes in my collection and have yet to buy vol 4 of the TPB series. Hope it was informative all around.