Why Is Cobra Mountain So Hated?

Velocitycobra

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a better route, one that would have made a lot less people mad would be if Hasbro made a small Cobra base maybe one that could hold about ten figures. But the main thing that would have really cool is if they would have made it so that you could buy a lot of these and connect them, either like side by side (back to back) or stack them one on top of the other, making a multi level base. And throw in a franken cobra troop to top it off.

I am so freaking smart. I'm calling Hasbro. @propeller@

I think a better route, one that would have made a lot less people mad would be if Hasbro made a small Cobra base maybe one that could hold about ten figures. But the main thing that would have really cool is if they would have made it so that you could buy a lot of these and connect them, either like side by side (back to back) or stack them one on top of the other, making a multi level base. And throw in a franken cobra troop to top it off.

It's been talked about for the last year or so. As cool as everyone thinks this is, it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen anytime soon. You'll probably see one of the Joe HQs/playsets/bases re-released as a Cobra base before you see this happen.

Hey NightCreeper,

Chill with the board stretching posts, it's most annoying. Thanks.

Since the Star Wars figures get a section of a Bar & stools you can link together to make it bigger, and each section has a different figure or 2, the principle of this is already established somewhat, so YEAH, I think having connectable sections of a base or battle station or fortress, would be a GREAT idea.

You can have tubular end sections that are gun posts, or buy several and stack them on top of each other, for a tower gun post, etc..etc.. the possibilities are endless, just like all the BTR stuff now, that if you want to get creative, you can start mixing and matching parts to create your OWN vehicle or gun station.

I think it's said best here that there was little imagination and thought put into the creation of the thing,and it was the first JvC Cobra playset coming out.Expectations were pretty high for it once it was announced and it turned out to be a disappointment,not that it was somewhat expected to be when you compare it to the rest of JvC vehicles and such.If Hasbro was tossing out crappy vehicles,what makes you think they were going to do better on a playset?

And consider those executives nowadays that instead of producing quality toys both in design and play-ability,they would rather cut corners and make sure they can save every little penny out of it.

I'm sure the Cobra Mountain playset might be a nice centerpiece to put all your JvC figures around and some kids may get entertainment out of it...but it's basically the same design as the Geonosis Battle Arena with hardly any creativity tossed in to add to it at all.Hasbro hits a strike out with this one.

It will NEVER compare to the Terrordrome.

Brent,while I respect that you love the Cobra Mountain Playset and will most likely ask mom and dad to get you one for X-Mas or something,could you do us a favor and please limit the number of "Luv" smilies you make about it?You stretched the board.

@loll@ uh-oh! When big brother puts the smackdown on ya, you just know you're up the creek! :D

@loll@ uh-oh! When big brother puts the smackdown on ya, you just know you're up the creek! :D

That was no smack down!That was just kindly informing my brother to stop stretching the damn boards with those luvs.But when I lay the smack down on him for something you'll be the first to know VH! @Smoke2@

There's probably more Cobra fans than there are Joe fans, and when you shortchange the rabid Cobra fans with something like the CMP, expect anarchy.

Personally, I don't like any playsets that aren't fully enclosed; be it RAH or JvC. Even if I had the room I would not get them unless there was lots to do in there (like computer stations, armory, prison cell... etc.).

There's probably more Cobra fans than there are Joe fans, and when you shortchange the rabid Cobra fans with something like the CMP, expect anarchy.

Personally, I don't like any playsets that aren't fully enclosed; be it RAH or JvC. Even if I had the room I would not get them unless there was lots to do in there (like computer stations, armory, prison cell... etc.).

Ditto,8Speed.

I love the fully enclosed playsets that are literally everything you need.I remember some older playsets from the past had to make you rely on your imagination to pretend that there are 'other parts' to it.But things like the Terrordrome,the USS Flagg and even the old Ghostbusters' headquarters building (anyone remember that?) were fully supplied and realistic counterparts to the cartoon incarnations...you didn't have to imagine that there was a 'garage' here because it was THERE.

If Hasbro put the time and effort into creating or recreating a new Cobra playset (heck,even a new JvC Terrordrome) that could be as good,if not,better than their original RAH playsets,then I'd be more than happy to shelf out a little over $100 bucks for it.

If Hasbro put the time and effort into creating or recreating a new Cobra playset (heck,even a new JvC Terrordrome) that could be as good,if not,better than their original RAH playsets,then I'd be more than happy to shelf out a little over $100 bucks for it.

I don't know if the line is strong enough to support a $100+ playset. If it [the fanbase] was double what it is now, then I think an all-new playset is more than likely to happen. But as it is, I'd expect more reissues before something all-new.

While that may make something like the modular bases idea do-able, I think the line still needs to grow more. All you hear is Yu-Gi-OH! this, Yu-Gi-OH! that. And sometimes, TF. And I work in an anime store... and no one mentions Joe, much less JvC.

I think it's said best here that there was little imagination and thought put into the creation of the thing,and it was the first JvC Cobra playset coming out.Expectations were pretty high for it once it was announced and it turned out to be a disappointment,not that it was somewhat expected to be when you compare it to the rest of JvC vehicles and such.If Hasbro was tossing out crappy vehicles,what makes you think they were going to do better on a playset?

And consider those executives nowadays that instead of producing quality toys both in design and play-ability,they would rather cut corners and make sure they can save every little penny out of it.

I'm sure the Cobra Mountain playset might be a nice centerpiece to put all your JvC figures around and some kids may get entertainment out of it...but it's basically the same design as the Geonosis Battle Arena with hardly any creativity tossed in to add to it at all.Hasbro hits a strike out with this one.

It will NEVER compare to the Terrordrome.

Brent,while I respect that you love the Cobra Mountain Playset and will most likely ask mom and dad to get you one for X-Mas or something,could you do us a favor and please limit the number of "Luv" smilies you make about it?You stretched the board.

@loll@ @loll@ @loll@ Well if your good NC looks like you might just get that Cobra Mountain you love so much!

Draven #US1#

I'm not gonna trash the Cobra Mountain Playset completely until I see it in person, 'cause many times I've thought something sucked from the early pics, and then when it actually came out and I saw it in person, I've liked it in most cases. Oh BTW; I saw the Patriot Grizzly earlier today after work at Wal-Mart, and I have to say it looked very SWEET! (WARNING: RANT ALERT!!! But I'm rippin' that Wild Bill sticker off of the cockpit when I get it though. MAN I hate stupid little inconsistencies like that! ANY fan of Joe knows Wild Bill does not drive tanks. He's a FRIGGIN' HELICOPTER PILOT PEOPLE!! Geeze; it's like some moron was sitting around trying to come up with a driver for the thing and said, "Hmm..Wild Bill's a cool figure, and...he matches! Perfect! He can drive the Patriot Grizzly! Who da man?!" GRRR!!!) But I'll reserve my final opinion of the Cobra Mountain Playset until I see the real thing.

What's next? Jinx will pilot the Skystriker? Sorry. I'm ranting again... @grumpy@

22566-new_asthanos.gif

@loll@  uh-oh!  When big brother puts the smackdown on ya, you just know you're up the creek!    :D

That was no smack down!That was just kindly informing my brother to stop stretching the damn boards with those luvs.But when I lay the smack down on him for something you'll be the first to know VH! @Smoke2@

NO WAVE 8 FOR YOU! :)

Hey Recondo, if your reading this, are you still going to post pics of the Cobra Mountain?

Okay, it ISN'T the Terror Drome and there is no real point in comparing the two as the CM will lose hands down.

As for the TD, maybe they could do it as a "collector's item" sort of thing. I'm pretty sure it would sell, just not with the kids (at least not so well). But with adult fans, I bet most wouldn't mind forking over $100+ for it. Some of the people here talk about spending that much on army building.

I've seen it and it isn't that heavy which makes me think there isn't much too it based on the weight.

I don't like the fact that it can be "transformed" form a Cobra base to a Joe outpost.

I think the reason it is disliked is the fact that Cobra has only ever had TWO real bases: the cardboard thing from 1982 and the TD. G.I. Joe has had 3, technically (7 if you include the Flagg, Tactical Battle Platform, MCC, and the Defiant Complex, hell 8 if you include the "Future Fortress").

Cobra gets the short end of the stick because they are the "bad guys." But without Cobra there would be no G.I. Joe. If Hasbro REALLY wanted to rehash an old playset for Cobra, they could have just used the Joe headquarters and throw on some snake motifs (ala the Cobra NAC).

Well, here's a helpful thought... We didn't get the Terrordrome until '86, the fifth year of the line. At that point in the line, we had a massively popular cartoon, a hit comic, and licensees like mad scrambling to pump the property for all it was worth, not to mention there was about 5x the actual product on the shelves each year.

I think at this point in the new line, especially given the lack of the above, we should probably be happy to get this. Don't get me wrong, I expect better too, but it shows that Hasbro has faith in the line, and we can likely expect more (and better) things to come from the line.

When the new line is in it's fifth year and we still don't have a good cartoon and an insanly cool playset, I'll join the naysayers. Until then, I'm going to be happy that Hasbro is issuing something this big and expensive this early in the line.

Well, here's a helpful thought... We didn't get the Terrordrome until '86, the fifth year of the line. At that point in the line, we had a massively popular cartoon, a hit comic, and licensees like mad scrambling to pump the property for all it was worth, not to mention there was about 5x the actual product on the shelves each year.

I think at this point in the new line, especially given the lack of the above, we should probably be happy to get this. Don't get me wrong, I expect better too, but it shows that Hasbro has faith in the line, and we can likely expect more (and better) things to come from the line.

When the new line is in it's fifth year and we still don't have a good cartoon and an insanly cool playset, I'll join the naysayers. Until then, I'm going to be happy that Hasbro is issuing something this big and expensive this early in the line.

Good point.

But if you go back and look at the whole line, Joe has roughly TWICE as many vehicles/playsets as Cobra. Not to mention they have more "big" playsets. Look at it just recently, the Joe HQ and the MCC.

All Cobra has is the Cobra Mountain and I don't see to many more "big" Cobra toys coming out next year, regardless of popularity, relative to Joe toys.

Hey, I'll grant you all that. I'm not defending all of Hasbro's decisions. However, to look at it in thier eyes: This line was off the market for almost a decade. This is not the same line, as far athey are concerned. They need to test the waters, build up the market, and make sure that they won't be making a massive mistake trusting the fans and collectors who tell them they want bigger, better, and more of it. I can completely understand the issuing of a base like this vs a completely new one, or something as massive as a Terrordrome.

That having been said, I note one of the complaints made was that CM isn't an 'enclosed' base... I'm not sure most of the Joe bases qualify for that either... they all have that 'Hollywood back wall' to them. If you just mean it's lacking a garage... hey, I feel your pain. I hate having to spray paint a shoebox too. ;)

I saw it at TRU a few days ago. It's not the Terror Drome, but then, what is? Anyway, I thought it was still cool. I kinda wish it came with soemthing else than a Shipwreck disquised as Cobra Commander though. I kinda thought that was lame. Why not put out a new character. That gets the kids and collectors that want more characters.

Hey, I'll grant you all that. I'm not defending all of Hasbro's decisions. However, to look at it in thier eyes: This line was off the market for almost a decade. This is not the same line, as far athey are concerned. They need to test the waters, build up the market, and make sure that they won't be making a massive mistake trusting the fans and collectors who tell them they want bigger, better, and more of it. I can completely understand the issuing of a base like this vs a completely new one, or something as massive as a Terrordrome.

That having been said, I note one of the complaints made was that CM isn't an 'enclosed' base... I'm not sure most of the Joe bases qualify for that either... they all have that 'Hollywood back wall' to them. If you just mean it's lacking a garage... hey, I feel your pain. I hate having to spray paint a shoebox too. ;)

Hadn't thought of it that way. But it isn't really a NEW line. There is already a lot of history behind it, so that makes something of a difference. But you do have a point about "testing the waters."

I don't think the Cobra Mountian is going to end amounting to to much in that endeavor though. It will be things like the MCC that REALLY help decide if they will bring back the TC or reissue other big stuff (though I doubt we will see the Defiant Complex or the Flagg).

As for the Joe base, yea it is open back, what can you do, eh? Wasn't the original Joe base a kind of mix? It was open back, but still had an enclosed feel to it.

I saw it at TRU a few days ago. It's not the Terror Drome, but then, what is? Anyway, I thought it was still cool. I kinda wish it came with soemthing else than a Shipwreck disquised as Cobra Commander though. I kinda thought that was lame. Why not put out a new character. That gets the kids and collectors that want more characters.

Because it is cheaper to reuse the figures they are currently releasing. I said the same thing comparing RAH and JvC. RAH had special drivers for most of the vehicles. The only special drivers JvC has are Slip Stream, Wild Weasel and the Claws that came with the Fang III.

Everyone who hates it. Just be happy we didn't get stuck with this!

http://afigures.com/g/generated/GIJoe/Cobr...0GIJoe%20Cobra%

link doesn't work

Sorry. Here

http://afigures.com/g/?mode=view&album=GIJ...ize=800&start=0

Wow, that thing dose look pretty dinky.

Another thing I don't like is that there is no way for the people to get to the upper level. They just kinda fly up there or what? At least the Joe HQ had an elevator to get up the tower. Or does the CM have a ladder/elevator I'm just not seeing?