A Few Questions...

Magic 8 Ball

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with these...

1. The Cobra Trooper six-pack includes Scar-Face... and Hasbro has gone on record as saying that characters who died in the original comic will not get new figures... Are we to assume that Scar-Face is still alive, then? Any word on if/when he may pop up in the comics?

2. Any chance we'll see the Blowtorch/Snow Serpent pack pop up again? Somehow, it's the only pack I've missed out on, and it seems NO ONE has the blasted thing anymore! I kept hoping for a bonus pack, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point.

I had a few other questions... right up until I went to type them up... :/ figures, doesn't it? I'll add them later if I remember them.

Off the top of my head, I wanna say Wave 4... it was right before Spy Troops started...

I knew I'd remember...

3. What about the candy packs shown at SDCC? One had a Storm Shadow repaint, although it was likely a placeholder... Has anyone seen these? Who sells them? I've been poking around, and can't seem to find any info on them. I'm figuring it's likely they'll cost around the same price as a Mission Disc, but I'm hoping they may include figures I'm either missiing, or would like to use in customs, but can't find anymore.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out with these...

1. The Cobra Trooper six-pack includes Scar-Face... and Hasbro has gone on record as saying that characters who died in the original comic will not get new figures... Are we to assume that Scar-Face is still alive, then? Any word on if/when he may pop up in the comics?

2. Any chance we'll see the Blowtorch/Snow Serpent pack pop up again? Somehow, it's the only pack I've missed out on, and it seems NO ONE has the blasted thing anymore! I kept hoping for a bonus pack, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point.

I had a few other questions... right up until I went to type them up... :/ figures, doesn't it? I'll add them later if I remember them.

When did Hasbro say they would not give new figures to characters that died in the comic?

Sounds kinda stupid, IMO. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a new Breaker and Doc.

That would have to include Battle Force 2000 (which I doubt they would redo anyway), Doc, Quick Kick, Heavy Metal, Sneak Peek, Thunder, Crank Case, Breaker and Crazy Legs. Of course, that would include Dr. Mindbender, Raptor and Voltar.

But didn't they make Dr. Mindbender? Or did he some how miraculously survive the freighter?

Yup... Mindbender used an offshoot of Serpentor's creation process to clone himself and download his brain. The current Mindbender in the comics is a clone.

This policy is why JvC Nunchuk is Nunchuk, despite looking like Quick Kick. It's also why Thunder was renamed Thunderwing when he came with the MOBAT, and why Gung-Ho came with the Slugger.

actually DDP said that the nunchuck figure was suppose to the nunshuck the whole time.

And hasbro is just paying homage to Scarface in the upcoming 6 cobra infantry pack. The character will not be scarface, just put it that way for the collectors out there.

and Wave 3 had the Blowtorch/ Snow Serpent pack #US1#

So, why the big deal, really? Why are they following the comic book? I think more people are familiar with the cartoon, even if it sucked, then the comic. And, since they ARE following the comic, are we going to eventually see the transformers crossover?

Seems to me the toyline should be loosely based on the comic and the show. In other words, just because some of the characters died doesn't mean we can't see figures of them. It just means they would probably be at the bottom of the list fore new sculpts or redos.

Besides, the took the time to update Breaker's file card, even if they couldn't use the original mold for ARAHC.

I think as the JvC line develops, the whole "dead in comics=no figure" policy well lighten up. It seems like this is already happening somewhat. As for Scarface...I really hope that he gets name recognition in the six pack as well as a filecard, but it would be pretty strange, as I don't see Scarface as the leader type which would make sense if he was a featured part of the pack. So if they just have a figure that looks like him (which would be rather easy, I mean it is Scarface, not Golobulus) it would be pretty simple to just call him Scarface.

AS for other past dead, the Nunchuck as Quick Kick thing doesn't bother me as much as it could, as Nunchuck WAS already a character for a decade before his JvC version. I would really like a Quick Kick though, as well as a Breaker, Doc, Voltar, Dr. Venom, Kwinn, Madame Umbra, Cool Breeze and Raptor. If they were really that gung-ho (sorry) on this policy, it is going to be much more difficult to give reasons why they survived or whatever, like the case of Dr. Mindbender who they resurrected for the Battle Corps line in '92. I don't really understand why they have this policy anyway, JvC has always seemed to be a Zero Hour version of RAH to begin with. I'm all for keeping with the established continuity of the last 20 years, but if Hasbro needs to break this rule (often) to give us figures of many of my favorites that never got a chance back then or who deserve a great update, I'm all for it.

Yeha, Breaker's RAHC Reissue filecard even mentions that he was seriously injured on his last mission and had been recovering for a while. Why would they put that in there unless they were referring to his death in the comics?

They could easily "resurrect" dead characters by making new figures. From what I understand, Hasbro had to give the okay to kill thme anywya. What Hasbro giveth, they may also taketh away. I think we'd all like to see Quick Kick and Doc back in action.

Yeha, Breaker's RAHC Reissue filecard even mentions that he was seriously injured on his last mission and had been recovering for a while. Why would they put that in there unless they were referring to his death in the comics?

They could easily "resurrect" dead characters by making new figures. From what I understand, Hasbro had to give the okay to kill thme anywya. What Hasbro giveth, they may also taketh away. I think we'd all like to see Quick Kick and Doc back in action.

Well, I noticed that Sneak Peek original died in the old series. In the new series, they had Sneak Peek again.

Somebody told me that it was a NEW character using the code name. I thought was a little callous and disrespectful if that were the case. So, if Duke had died in the movie (as was planned) then they could just recycle the name? Imagine if the "new" Duke were a black guy or something.

Of course, that was the cartoon and not the comic, but the idea is valid.

I'll buy the concept of "it's not Scar-Face, it just looks like him", especially seeing as it's a RAH mold, not JvC.

But I don't believe for a moment that 'Nunchuk' was actually designed with Nunchuk in mind. He's the spitting image of Quick Kick, with only token green highlights to even hint that he's the same Nunchuk from the Ninja Force.

I also despise the name 'Nunchuk', but that's another matter.

I think with the return of Serpentor, we'll see a little relaxing of the 'no dead guys' rule. Plain and simple, if they don't stay dead, you can't apply the rule to them.

I can also see where some of the dead Joe names could be re-used on new characters (a la the short-lived Sneak Peak).

A friend of mine suggested that Hasbro could even try frankensteining some of the JvC molds into updated versions of dead characters, then release them through the fan club as a sort of 'memorial line'. I like that concept, personally. They get to uphold thier weird little rule, we get new figures.

Edit: Yeah, Sneak-Peek's name was reused to a degree... a Joe code-named 'Sneak-Peak' infiltrated the Dreadnoks during the 'Malfunction' storyline... and was promptly killed in the second issue of it.

I think if handled appropriately, we could have new characters with names of dead Joes... how often in comics do we see new superhroes/villains inherit a name, or take it as a form of tribute, or something like that? The same sort of thing could work in GI Joe.

While I personally follow the comic continuity, I'm really not sure where Hasbro comes from as far as the "dead stay dead" rule. I do agree with it, but they've gone on record saying that this new JvC line is a "reboot" so to speak, and isn't meant to continue from the old Joeverse. So, why would it matter that Doc or Quick Kick perished in the old series?

Again, I follow the comic continuity, so I like the fact that Hasbro is "following" it (albeit very vaguely) but it doesn't really seem to make much sense.

And Hasbro never really mentioned that "Scarface" per se was the COBRA Infantry Team leader...they just gave the leader a scar as an homage.

Justin

Um... how exactly does JvC Nunchuk look a damn thing like NF Nunchuk? The figures have exactly three similarities:

1: They both have black and green for costume colors.

2: They're both ninja figures, and come with ninja weapons.

3: They have the same name.

By this logic, JvC Destro could have come done up in blue with a cobra staff and been called "Cobra Commander", and I could claim it looks exactly like the battle helmet RAH version of Cobra Commander.

Here's a link to Ninja Force Nunchuk at yojoe.com. Please compare it with your JvC Nunchuk and try again.

I thought was a little callous and disrespectful if that were the case.

The disrespect didn't stop there, but I'll just leave it at that.

As far as dead staying dead, it should stay that way. Don't bother me either way, really. Mostly because the ones that died I didn't really care for anyway (Quick Kick was kinda cool, but ehh... ). Keeps it realistic, at the very least [that people do die in battle].

And on the Nunchuk issue, it's been said that it was going to be QK, but then they realized he was already dead and just renamed him Nunchuk. Something like that.

And, since they ARE following the comic, are we going to eventually see the transformers crossover?

Probably not. GI Joe is currently based on the current DD Joe. Not the recent spinoffs.

I thought was a little callous and disrespectful if that were the case.

The disrespect didn't stop there, but I'll just leave it at that.

As far as dead staying dead, it should stay that way. Don't bother me either way, really. Mostly because the ones that died I didn't really care for anyway (Quick Kick was kinda cool, but ehh... ). Keeps it realistic, at the very least [that people do die in battle].

And on the Nunchuk issue, it's been said that it was going to be QK, but then they realized he was already dead and just renamed him Nunchuk. Something like that.

And, since they ARE following the comic, are we going to eventually see the transformers crossover?

Probably not. GI Joe is currently based on the current DD Joe. Not the recent spinoffs.

What did you mean about the disrespect not stopping there?

I read that issue with Sneak-Peek in the Dreadnok compound and though he was shot, he might not have died. Don't know for certain.

And the comic I was talking about was the original line. The impression that I got was that the new comic was a kind of continuation of the old comic (after the team was disbanded, etc.). JvC goes along with the new comic (Kamakura, for example shows this) which is a continuation of the old. A Joe-Transformers crossover was part of the original line (as opposed to a side thing) with Cobra refitting Megatron into his G2 version for example.

As for Nunchuk, he was probably supposed to be Quick Kick. Like Magic 8 Ball said, this version and the original are nothing alike. As opposed to this version and Quick Kick.

BTW that isn't the original Sneak Peak in the new comic.....they were cracking on the original in the DD series. In fact Scarlet made a funny comment about it in the issue before I think.

Draven #US1#

BTW that isn't the original Sneak Peak in the new comic.....they were cracking on the original in the DD series. In fact Scarlet made a funny comment about it in the issue before I think.

Draven #US1#

I didn't think it was all that funny. To answer pesatyel, Scarlett's comment when referencing Sneak Peek was and I quote, "The periscope guy?". One of the most unrealistic and disrespectful things for her to say, considering she was in the same conflict as him, the fact that spec op groups are like faternities, them all being brothers-in-arms, and him dying in the line of duty. So all things considered, there's no way she would not remember the original Sneak Peek, considering not that many Joes have died.

Draven  #US1#

I didn't think it was all that funny. To answer pesatyel, Scarlett's comment when referencing Sneak Peek was and I quote, "The periscope guy?". One of the most unrealistic and disrespectful things for her to say, considering she was in the same conflict as him, the fact that spec op groups are like faternities, them all being brothers-in-arms, and him dying in the line of duty. So all things considered, there's no way she would not remember the original Sneak Peek, considering not that many Joes have died.

That's what I was thinking. So, if Snake-Eyes died she would say "the mute guy?"

Maybe you guys are looking at it all wrong. Perhaps she put it that way in an attempt to desesitise herself. I am not very artulate so I will put it this way. When She said "The Periscope Guy" She merely talked about him in that manner as to not dredge up old memories. I never read the comic so I may be taking it out of contex. But from what I have seen you guys saying what I am suggesting sounds possible to me.

Maybe you guys are looking at it all wrong. Perhaps she put it that way in an attempt to desesitise herself. I am not very artulate so I will put it this way. When She said "The Periscope Guy" She merely talked about him in that manner as to not dredge up old memories. I never read the comic so I may be taking it out of contex. But from what I have seen you guys saying what I am suggesting sounds possible to me.

Well, that sounds like a possibility. But I don't think so.

Besides it sounds so disrespectful to the dead to reuse a codename.

OK, here's the entire scene:

Duke: Agent Anthony Beuke has been posing as a Dreadnok for the past couple of months. A mercenary from a gang in L.A. was joining the Chicago Dreadnoks, but on his trip there he was "detoured" to a Federal prison. Beuke went instead.

Duke: From here on out, his code name is Sneak-Peek.

Scarlett: The Periscope guy?

Duke: That was Agent Owen King, our old recon man. This Sneak-Peek is undercover. He's FBI.

OK, here's the entire scene:

Duke: Agent Anthony Beuke has been posing as a Dreadnok for the past couple of months. A mercenary from a gang in L.A. was joining the Chicago Dreadnoks, but on his trip there he was "detoured" to a Federal prison. Beuke went instead.

Duke: From here on out, his code name is Sneak-Peek.

Scarlett: The Periscope guy?

Duke: That was Agent Owen King, our old recon man. This Sneak-Peek is undercover. He's FBI.

Okay Thanks for posting that. She's just a bit**. @loll@