Jason Todd?

catter

Hey all,

I have an addition to make to my post above about Two-Face knowing Batman's secret identity, and him having a bigger part in the Hush story line than was shown. As we all know, there is more to Hush than is already in print, and the remaining story line will come later in the year or in 2005, so it's far from over.

What bothered me the most about the story arc in the end was its name...why was it called Hush? I thought the whole time it would have to do with the fact that Bruce told Selina his dark secret adn that certain thinks are best kept secret...that is, she would betray him somehow. Clearly, that didn't happen and so I no longer understood what Hush referred to...after all, this villain's name must have some form of meaning, right? Well, I think subconsciously I did know and here is what I believe it means:

I think Harvey Dent is Hush. Let me repeat that...HARVEY DENT is HUSH!!!

Like we saw in the story, Harvey Dent got plastic surgery and supposedly his psychiatric issues were resolved. However, I think that indeed he no longer has a duality issue and only one personality exists within him...the darker and more evil Harvey Dent that was kept hidden from the public for so many years (think back to Batman TAS, when he was seeking help for his anger management issues).

No longer having two opinions on everything, now Harvey only hears ONE voice about what actions to take and what paths to pursue. Hence, without the two sides fighting within him, now there is only silence in his head and a clear purpose to pursue his penchant for wickedness That to me explains why the villain's name is HUSH (because of the silence in his head).

I think Two-face is dead and Hush has replaced him, Hush being Harvey Dent's new personality, the evil side he demonstrated when his duality began and only that one, wicked side.

I hope this turns out to be the case, because I think that would lead to some excellent story growth and awesome potential for the Batman universe.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it would have been interesting to see the effects of Jason Todd returning to the Batman universe, I think it's best to let him be and keep that guilt in Batman for as long as the character exists. Plus, I think that the whole plot behind the ruse of Clayface as Jason Todd was meant to indicate that Hush truly knew Batman's secret identity.

Like I posted earlier in the thread, I believe Harvey Dent knows Bruce Wayne is Batman and so, he would know about Jason Todd.

Nash after reading your post i want to say that you might be on to something there...i never put that in persepctive that Dent might be that messed up that even if he did get rid of Two-Face he'd still have skeletons in his closet. If thats not the way it goes down i hope people from DC read these fourms and say whoa lets use that because i think thats outstanding!

Hey HardRockBatman00,

Once more I have to say that having your approval in my Batman ramblings is the utmost compliment I could get in these boards! :) I guess we'll see in some months if in fact ol' Harvey is as messed up as I painted him!

Thanks again ADC's (and TNI'S) Dark Knight!!

Hey all,

I have an addition to make to my post above about Two-Face knowing Batman's secret identity, and him having a bigger part in the Hush story line than was shown. As we all know, there is more to Hush than is already in print, and the remaining story line will come later in the year or in 2005, so it's far from over.

What bothered me the most about the story arc in the end was its name...why was it called Hush? I thought the whole time it would have to do with the fact that Bruce told Selina his dark secret adn that certain thinks are best kept secret...that is, she would betray him somehow. Clearly, that didn't happen and so I no longer understood what Hush referred to...after all, this villain's name must have some form of meaning, right? Well, I think subconsciously I did know and here is what I believe it means:

I think Harvey Dent is Hush. Let me repeat that...HARVEY DENT is HUSH!!!

Like we saw in the story, Harvey Dent got plastic surgery and supposedly his psychiatric issues were resolved. However, I think that indeed he no longer has a duality issue and only one personality exists within him...the darker and more evil Harvey Dent that was kept hidden from the public for so many years (think back to Batman TAS, when he was seeking help for his anger management issues).

No longer having two opinions on everything, now Harvey only hears ONE voice about what actions to take and what paths to pursue. Hence, without the two sides fighting within him, now there is only silence in his head and a clear purpose to pursue his penchant for wickedness That to me explains why the villain's name is HUSH (because of the silence in his head).

I think Two-face is dead and Hush has replaced him, Hush being Harvey Dent's new personality, the evil side he demonstrated when his duality began and only that one, wicked side.

I hope this turns out to be the case, because I think that would lead to some excellent story growth and awesome potential for the Batman universe.

the only problem i see with that that it's too good of a story to be true @lol@ awesome deduction man, defiantely one of the best theories i've heard on hush so far. if two face is defiantely gone for good there's no way in hell harvey dent is a good guy. if harvey gave up being two face, even though i'm disapointed jason wasn't, i wouldn't have a problem with harvey taking on a new villian idenity as hush.

when i first heard of the theory harvey being hush i thought it was stupid, only because i never thought of harvey as being "cured" of his double idenity.

Hey Chazz,

Thanks for the compliments!

I think Jeph Loeb is a great writer and he is the M. Night Shyalaman of the comic book world...he knows how to weave a story and finish it with an unexpected ending that came out of nowhere :) Hopefully, he will give us some of this magic again :)

I would also like to see this little idea of mine take form in the DC universe. Hopefully, this is part of what's in store for the second part of Hush :)

I guess we'll see in a year if I have bragging rights or not :D JK :D

Hey HardRockBatman00,

Once more I have to say that having your approval in my Batman ramblings is the utmost compliment I could get in these boards! :) I guess we'll see in some months if in fact ol' Harvey is as messed up as I painted him!

Thanks again ADC's (and TNI'S) Dark Knight!!

your welcome my friend....i thought i had it all figured out but your thoughts just might be what really will happen...like i said in the previous post we will see in Gotham Knights 50 if they shed any light on Hush

The theory IS pretty interesting. Be nice if DC took a risk and made a permanent turn to one of their most prominent villains. All too often Batman confrontations with villains ran like a BASIC program

10 Two-Face escapes from Arkham

20 Two-Face commits unprecedented crime spree

30 Innocents die

40 Batman kicks Two-Faces schizoid ass and drags him back to Arkham

50 go to 10

(This program has gotten REALLY old with the Joker by the way. We all KNOW the only logical way to stop him killing is to kevork his pasty white ass, but we know DC lacks to balls to do anything permanent to him anyway. Gordon should have let Bats kill him. I guess he doesnt love his daughter enough to let the man who crippled her die. And thats another topic anyway)

But if Hush IS Two-Face and here to stay Ill actually applaud DC for such a drastic change that actually WORKS

Hey Doc Evil,

You are so right about DC's formula for handling Batman...it would be nice if they shook up things just a little bit.

I think change is a great way to keep comics interesting, especially when the characters are so many decades old. I think DC did a great and gutsy thing with Green Lantern and their move of replacing Hal Jordan with Kyle Rayner worked really well for them. Obviously, DC wasn't as successful with the whole Batman-crippled by Bane-replaced by Azrael story plot, but I think that's because Batman (and Superman as well) is too much of an icon to change him so drastically (and replacing him would be completely out of the question). I think smaller changes like the one I suggest for Harvey Dent, and others that revolve around Batman's supporting cast/rogues gallery, are the way to go in order to make the Batman universe a more interesting place to visit :)

I just want to go back to who knows who Batman is. I'm putting Jim Gordon on that list. Wasn't it that long ago Bats was planning on telling him and he basically told "what makes you think I already don't know?" As for Two-Face,yeah he knows as well. Check out when Tim first put on the original Robin outfit. Harvey knew right away it wasn't the same kid. I'm sure he has put two and two together by now.

The whole Hal Jordan thing was a horrible debacle that screwed over all the existing fans in a cheap attempt to get the less intelligent "Style over substance" Image crowd. Afterwards the series stagnated as Kyle STILL comes across like a wet behind the ears rookie. Wally West went from being a oversexed punk to the ultimate Flash after fifty issues. One HUNDRED issues later Kyle is exactly the same screwup he was when he started, with a slightly better uniform. Not only did Hal fans get screwed, so did fans of the GLC, Alan Scott, John Stewart, Guy Gardner and ANYTHING with a connection to six decades of rich comic history. Including Jade, Obsidian and the Darkstars.

Change CAN be good, but the introduction of Keanu Rayner is an instance that proves not all rules are static in all instances.