What Is Macross?

Velocitycobra

Actually:

Macross is a short TV serie made several years ago. Trouble is that it was too short to be sold as a TV serie, so it was sold with other two series. The three ones are known as Robotech, but the real Macross is the first of them, although most people confuse them.

About the toy, it is called Valkyrie. Jetfire is a copy of this toys, and although they are 20 years old, the design, poseability and transforming mechanism is still today one of the best. The original toy was realised by Bandai. Today, there are a few manufacturers who make Valkyries (Yamato, Bandai, Masterpiece, etc.), but I've been able to have all them on my hands and I prefer Bandai ones (for nearly the same price).

On the other hand, if you want to get one of them, I recommend visiting BBTS. This link will lead you directly to their Macross and Robotech page:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/macross_menu.asp

If you're interested on knowing the differences between the different models exposed there, ask for it.

P.S.: I suppose you meant Jetfire and not Skyfire... If not, I'm @stupid@

@grumpy@ @grumpy@ To make the story short, just think them as:

Macross = Takara

Robotech = Hasbro

Okay, not sure it make sense lol.....

Back to your question:

If you want a Jetfire equalivent, you will have to purchase a toy call "SUPER VALKYRIE VF-1S", the scale is 1/55. That is his name/ model in the Macross or Robotech universe. Remember, not VF-1S, but "Super". Why the Super? Because the Super model come with the Battle Armor like Jetfire. And the company who made them is called BANDAI not YAMATO. Jetfire was made by Bandai also. The Super VF-1S was just reissue last year, I'm sure you'll find him in almost every import store or online.

If you want a review of the Super Valkyrie VF-1S before purchasing:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator2/HT...h/supervf1s.htm

To compare with Jetfire:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator/HTM...tob/jetfire.htm

And if you are really rich, you can obtain the masterpiece 1/48 VF-1S. He doesn't come with a battle armor, you have to buy separately. MADE BY YAMATO:

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/reminator2/HT...tech/vf1s48.htm

As for the price, he should be very cheap now:

ImageAnime is still being steep $89 for a Super VF-1S

BBTS is charging $75 for a VF-1S without the Battle Armor that is very expensive. I guess their Super VF-1S is out of stock.

I am sure you could find one for around $70 for a Bandai Super VF-1S. The 1/48 VF-1S Yamato really made the Bandai price drop dramatically so shop around.

Personally I've found that the Yamatos are fragile pieces of crap that either fall over or break if you look at them funny. The larger ones though may be different. I would stay far far away from the smaller figures though I think they're 1/65 scale. These are not fully transformable you have to take the legs off of the figure.

Bandai is the closest you'll get to a Jetfire reissue and fell very much like a orginal Jetfire in every way. A very nice piece. The VF-1S super is the closest to him. I would check ebay before trying sites you'll get a better price most likely

The Masterpiece valks made by Toynomi or something like that feel rather light in comparision to the other two brands, but are fully transformable unlike the Yamato. I wouldn't get the first one the VF-1J of Rick Hunter due to the fact that it doesn't have die cast legs like the others. These are easily the nicest to get if you plan on keeping them in the box, and even if you don't they don't have tape so they can be removed without damaging the impressive book style packaging. Think Takara DW box reissues then multiply the quality be 20. boosters and armor are sold seperately for them.

In my opinion Bandai makes the best, but I'm a old school collector and like my figures to have some weight to them and for them to feel durable. Yamato has the weight but are poorly designed, the legs are hooked in with pegs and they flop around and feel like they'll fall off, and the Masterpiece ones while nice looking don't have the heft that I like. As I stated though I don't have any of the 1/48 yamato's though I doubt I get one because I don't trust the company to put out a jet that won't break on me.

Toynami MPC=Master piece of crap. That thing is the worst toy on earth. For 89 dollars?

Yamato are more of collector pieces, try buying the 1/48 series, those are truly MPC's. The 1/60's are not bad either. My favorites from Yamato are the Macross Plus toys

Bandai has solid toys, but they have not changed the original molds, therefore they have not perfected their version of Jetfire.

but its all up to you, your cash and your preference.

Everything that I've ever bought that was made by Yamato has either A, busted the first time I held it, or B flopped around horribly even though it was transformed properly. They may look good but they're horrible figures, I buy mine to occasionally mess around with, these can't even be handled gently. I refuse to pay over 120 dollars for something that I can only look at or keep in the box. If you want to take your figures out and actually do something with them other then displaying them or keeping them MIB then buy one from the other two lines perferably Bandai, why improve on perfection, those are actual figures and not display pieces that pretend to be. I wouldn't even take a Yamato Valk if I saw one for 10 dollars. I've seen better quality in knockoff figures.

Well I can't stand the take apart transformation of the smaller Valks, but the worst luck I've had with one was the VF-11B thats a very very cool looking figure but it is very cheaply assembled. I couldn't believe that they used just a weak plastic peg to support to die cast legs that didn't have any hip articulation past the ball joints. You move those legs wrong and they snap clean off with little to no pressure. That piece should have been diecast bolted to the nose cone, allowing for a little movement. They look good but Yamatos just aren't meant to be handled.

I am in total agrreement with silverbolt, the yamatos are pieces of CRAP, for what they cost (120 to 140) if you just like LOOKING at your figs and not actually touching them them are ok. yamato=pretty blond bimbo with no job and no brains. I did a more in depth review on these a while back hope it helps

http://adctalk.com/index.php?showtopic=1933786&hl=

I have to go with Pogoman on this one too, Yamato makes far superior toys than Toynami. I had bought Series 1 of the toynami garbage and that is the biggest rip off in the history of toys.

The led? that crap is too bright for the cheap plastic that the whole head lights up like a christmas tree. I posted my complaints on the robotech.com site and they would delete the posts! That's how bad these are. Everyone I know HATES toynami for that crap that they call Robotech.

Series 2, the legs fall off. There's more plastic on the MPC's than pamela anderson's boobs. Series 3 (roy focker) his antennas are bent (!)

Oh yeah, the only cool thing about toynami master piece of $hit is the box. big woop.

@grumpy@ @grumpy@ Now, now boys no need to argue.

Here's the simple equation which I'm sure no one dare to defy:

Stability + Durability + Easy Transformation = Bandai

Quality + Show Accurate + Complex Transformation = Yamato

Bandai Super VF-1S = TF Jetfire (disregarding color difference)

As for Toyami, well.....all I can say is, it's a huge disappointment. And yes, I'm worry for the Voltron Line.

I have to go with Pogoman on this one too, Yamato makes far superior toys than Toynami. I had bought Series 1 of the toynami garbage and that is the biggest rip off in the history of toys.

The led? that crap is too bright for the cheap plastic that the whole head lights up like a christmas tree. I posted my complaints on the robotech.com site and they would delete the posts! That's how bad these are. Everyone I know HATES toynami for that crap that they call Robotech.

Series 2, the legs fall off. There's more plastic on the MPC's than pamela anderson's boobs. Series 3 (roy focker) his antennas are bent (!)

Oh yeah, the only cool thing about toynami master piece of $hit is the box. big woop.

I have none of the problems you listed with my toynami valk. matter of preference I guess, we all choose our toys like we choose our cars and our women, I prefer a mix of beauty and brains, with a litlle stability. beuty is always in the eye of the beholder too, so..........