Just Read "batman: Year One"...

Simfunkel

Two words:

HOLY CRAP

This story was amazing. I breezed right through it, each page had me mesmerized. I loved every inch of this story-- Gordons stand against corrupt police, testimonies of the "bat creature," the solid action scenes, the great realistic dialogue, the cool references to other characters in the DC universe (Superman, Joker, etc.)

Coolest part? The bats. That's all I need to say... :P

I friggin loved it. That's all I can say.

This morning, I ordered "Kingdom Come" and "The Dark Knight Returns"... If they are even HALF of what "Year One" was, I'll be perfectly satisfied.

After that, next on my list-- "The Long Halloween"...

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I am playing MAJOR catch-up on my Batman TPB's...

You will really like Dark Knight Returns...I read it almost every year so it's the gift that keeps on giving. Haven't bought Kingdom Come nor Long Halloween so I can't tell you if their good reads. I recently got No Man's Land volumes 2 and 3 AND Gothic and Batman/Aliens 2...Enjoyed Batman/Aliens 2 the most...Great story.

If Swiss Franc would just go up, I might buy alot more... @smilepunch@

Kingdom come is unreal.....I loved it and still do....Dark Knight Returns is also a great read...whenever I pick it up and flip through it I find myself reading the whole thing again @bats@ its great. probably 2 of the greatest comic stories ever. I've actually never read batman year one...gonna have to pick that up.

Y1 is actually not my favorite Bat-story, but it's good. There were just some things I didn't like. Though it's probablly the best represntation of Gotham a dirt-rag filthy city, and all the police corruption. It doesn't really fit with the mainstream DCU though. I mean Batman is 25 and and Barbara Gordon hasn't even been concieved yet, though I think in Y1 continuity Barbara is Jim's niece. Anyway, tough book. I've never read DKR but this is really a great read for the bigtime Batfan. The art was great too. Oh yeah, when he blows up the wall of that mansion while all the bad cops and crime bosses are eating dinner, that was cool! @bats@

I read Year One several years ago and re-read it again this year...truly an amazing story. Kingdom Come is one TPB I read at least once every three or four months...it's really that well done in my opinion. I just read DKR and Watchmen for the first time this year....truly among the top 5 greatest comic book stories of all time. I also read Superman: For All Seasons this month for the first time...it's a nice read.

On a completely different note, I just read Marvels for the first time and I have to say I was truly impressed by this story. I don't know how many of you read it but I must say that I was truly moved by the comparisson of the mutant girl's eyes to those of European Jews in concentration camps during WWII. That touched me so much that I had to put the book down and make myself feel better somehow. I know mutants are fictional characters but we should take note of how sometimes comics reflect the real world and its dark moments.

Sorry to get off topic...I get into these unstoppable rants sometimes :)

The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, Kingdom Come and Marvels are my top 4 favorite TPBs. The Long Halloween is in my top 10. Basically, anything by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale is worth reading, including Daredevil: Yellow and Superman: For All Seasons. I'm looking forward to Spider-Man: Blue being released as a softcover trade.

I also recommend reading the Kingdom Come novelization after you read the TPB. It compliments the comic very well.