GIJoe #21 The New Silent Issue **Possible Spoilers**

JayC

Just got done looking through it. Anyone else pick it up? Not sure what we are suppose to think about Storm Shadow. Is he still under mind control or just decided he like Cobra better?

This was the most disapointing issue since #5! There was no purpose for this story except to have a Snake-Eyes vs. Storm Shadow story for #21. There was no reason for this to be a silent issue either, except as a nod to Marvel's #21. This story was nowhere near the level of Marvel's #21 or even came close to projecting the same vibe. All these speaking characters in a silent issue. You really expect CC to be quiet? If it would have been just Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow somewhere remote, I would have bought it...maybe. This may have passed for a decent Sound FX issue. The art was sub-par as well.

Hey, Josh, why don't you quit nodding at the old book, the cartoon, or the toys, and stop with the lame inside jokes, and just write a **** G.I.Joe story. I have to say after #21, I'm glad Josh is leaving. Thank goodness only four more issues of Josh. How lame is the Serpentor's Return gonna be? Jerwa better take it to a higher level.

I haven't criticized a DD book in a long time. That's how bad it was.

I think the author of the issue is trying to indicate that the sword brothers have a special bond and understanding between one another. Perhaps Storm Shadow has a master plan to dismantle Cobra from within.

I'm not sure what the writer was trying to do, but it's pretty gross when a rehash of an original idea goes extremely wrong. I remembered reading Larry Hama's silent issue and was totally blown away by it. The second silent issue where Snake eyes was captured and Storm Shadow and Scarllet sneaks their way into the Cobra Temple was also excellent and beautifully drawn. The idea of the 'silent' issues is to denote stealth and invisiblilty, and this new issue #21 simply avoids these aspects.

I'm usually not very critical about the comics cuz there's definitely alot of hardwork that goes into it, but simply put this issue is expendable.

I guess thatt's why my comic shoppe cohorts and I stopped collecting GI Joe after the 3rd issue. The only Joe Comics I collect now are the ones that come with the action figures.

Crap... i got the silent issue.... I was reading the issue and wondered how come there is no captions and stuff. :oops: :( I'm going back to the comic and hopefully I can trade it for the other gijoe issue.

huh? #21 came out already? :o i could swear #20 was just out like a couple weeks ago. :-? i hope it's not sold out. i've missed the past three issues of frontline 'cause they're sold out by the time i get there. :x

diesel

HATED the ending. SE would not have done that.

And the artist got a lot of continuity things wrong from frame to frame. SE's punch with the spike-knucled trench knife starts with the blade on one side and in the next panel, at the end of his swing, it's on the opposite side.

SS changes sword hands in mid-kick.

And SE's holding his sword backwards in the beginning, curved edge side toward him. :P

My comic shop was shorted a box by UPS.This issue was more than likely in it.Gives me an excuse to run back to the comic shop.

BTW Anybody reading Batman Hush??It's a great story.It's been a long time since I was left craving more and more from a comic each month.Can't wait for the ending in Batman 618.

My comic shop was shorted a box by UPS.This issue was more than likely in it.Gives me an excuse to run back to the comic shop.

BTW Anybody reading Batman Hush??It's a great story.It's been a long time since I was left craving more and more from a comic each month.Can't wait for the ending in Batman 618.

This was the most disapointing issue since #5! There was no purpose for this story except to have a Snake-Eyes vs. Storm Shadow story for #21. There was no reason for this to be a silent issue either, except as a nod to Marvel's #21. This story was nowhere near the level of Marvel's #21 or even came close to projecting the same vibe. All these speaking characters in a silent issue. You really expect CC to be quiet? If it would have been just Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow somewhere remote, I would have bought it...maybe. This may have passed for a decent Sound FX issue

I agree it was very disappointing...... :(

The art was sub-par as well

Yeah the artwork really sucks hard.......it looks like.... :x ..crap. Nuff'said

Well...I think the Silent Issue was average at best.Nothing mind blowing,but it seems like they were in a rush to do it and finish it cause I think most of the concentration was put on Serpentor's return for the next couple of issues.Mike Zeck has an old school type of art,but I don't think it really worked well for this issue.

The big focus of silent issues is the art...and while you can have an "action" silent issue,I think the art has to be a big key in conveing the emotions and what's going on at the same time.In this case,I think DD flopped over on that.I think what happened here is that we found out that the mind control was too much for Storm Shadow,especially with Cobra Commander around as a psychic barrier to SS.It seemed that everytime CC was attacked,Stormy would be there to protect him because one of the main properties of the mind control is "To Protect Cobra Commander".When SS "broke" the mind control in issue #20,CC wasn't around.

In the end,I think it was a moment of silent conversation between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow...basically something like Stormy telling Snakes that he can't break free of it right now...but will seek help later. Maybe Stormy IS free but he's staying with Cobra for other reasons,perhaps to infiltrate them from within as long as CC thinks he is still under his mind control.

It leaves it open for the future,it definitely was a solid issue,but I think the storyline could've been better with words.I think there could've been some interesting turn-outs with how CC shot his own son and such.

everything good i've ever said about josh blaylock, I take it back. He has no writing abailities whatsoever.

I can't convey in words how pissed and dissapointd i am