Questions about TPB's

Iceman

I have some questions I wanted to ask fans of TPB's about the whole TPB deal. I guess what I want to know is do you prefer the comic or TPB format? Right now I collect the comics but have been considering switching to TPB instead.

For one, I like the idea of a whole arc being contained in a single issue as opposed to having to go through numerous issues in order to read a story. I also like that you can place them on a bookshelf as you would a regular book which makes it much easier to find what you are looking for.

Well here are my questions:

1) Does every issue get TPB format? I know that a full arc gets TPB but will a stand alone issue be included in a TPB as well. For instance, the current Draco arc in Uncanny X-Men is only two issues. I am pretty certain that it won't be a sole TPB. However, will they put Draco plus Dominant Species and a stand alone story into a TPB together? Basically I am asking if I switch to TPB's will I be guaranteed to get every issue of a particular series?

2) Does anything get deleted from TPB's? I know that sometimes additional material is added to TPB's which is cool?

3) Generally, how long do you have to wait for a TPB in comparison to the comic?

I guess that is it. I hope some of you can help me out.

Personally, I vastly prefer TPBs to individual issues. They make for better reading copies, and also to look better on a bookshelf - both facts I care about more than cash value or collectibility.

1) Does every issue get TPB format?

In the past, no. Only important arcs were collected. Lately though, it seems to be the trend of most mainstream companies and even some independent companies to collect everything.

2) Does anything get deleted from TPB's? I know that sometimes additional material is added to TPB's

Sometimes. Usually it's pointless stuff, like backups, side-stories, etc.

3) Generally, how long do you have to wait for a TPB in comparison to the comic?

It depends on the company. Marvel pumps out TPBs for just about any successful book, and often. DC not so much - just with select "hot" items such as Hush, Green Arrow, the ABC line, etc.

Hope that helps you. Cheers.

Yes, for the most part it does help...thanks alot. However, I still am a bit wary of switching to TPB because I don't want to miss anything of the titles I collect. Here are the titles that I do collect:

Amazing Spider-Man

Avengers

Batman

Exiles

JLA

New X-Men

New Mutants

Uncanny X-Men

Weapon X

X-Treme X-Men

I am also collecting Supreme Power, JLA vs. Avengers, 1602. I am certain that all of those will be collected in trade format.

So out of the titles above which ones can I bank on to have every issue in trade format, if any??

Thanks again!

Yes, for the most part it does help...thanks alot. However, I still am a bit wary of switching to TPB because I don't want to miss anything of the titles I collect. Here are the titles that I do collect:

Amazing Spider-Man

Avengers

Batman

Exiles

JLA

New X-Men

New Mutants

Uncanny X-Men

Weapon X

X-Treme X-Men

I am also collecting Supreme Power, JLA vs. Avengers, 1602. I am certain that all of those will be collected in trade format.

So out of the titles above which ones can I bank on to have every issue in trade format, if any??

Thanks again!

Hrmmm...

The Marvel titles are pretty safe bets to be traded. Except maybe New Mutants, since it's a new title and is already suffering from upcoming creator changes. So that one might be in some danger and perhaps not profitable for Marvel to collect. The rest of the Marvel titles are fine though, Marvel's cranking out the trades for all of them.

Batman... I don't know. Hush is being traded, I know that. (I know because I'm buying the hardcovers instead of the individual issues.) But I don't know how frequently trades were released prior to that, or how frequently they'll be released after that. JLA I've never had much interest in, so I can't say that I know for certain on that one either.

I know Morrison's JLA run was traded though. I've seen that.

Overall, I'd say you're safe doing the trade thing on most popular Marvel titles. If it's got an X or a Spider on it, it's pretty much a guarenteed seller, afterall - which is what Marvel likes to see, naturally. DC, on the other hand, you may want to be more cautious of. DC's trade schedule is far more erratic and not nearly as reliable as Marvel's is.

I may not like Marvel much right now, but I give credit where it's due.

Cheers.

Hey Iceman. Just thought I'd add my 2-cents. I've been reading comics for about 20 years, and about 2 years ago, I started only buying trades. Every title that I read before switching to trade is being published regularly in trade format. These include:

Amazing Spidey

Ultimate Spidey

Daredevil

Hulk

and almost every Crossgen title

IMHO, Crossgen started the trade paperback ball rolling by almost immediately publishing all of their titles in trade format once 6-7 issues were complete. Marvel quickly followed suit, and DC is slowly coming up to speed.

The only downside with buying trades is waiting. I have to force myself to stay away from message boards until the trade comes out so that I avoid spoilers about titles that I'm waiting for. HUSH is a perfect example. People are talking about it all over the place, but I've only read the first half. I caved in and am buying JLA/Avengers in single issue format because I knew that I couldn't wait for the trade. Sometimes you just gotta break the rules. :D

I firmly believe that the days of monthly "pamphlet" comics are numbered and trades will be the future of the comic book industry. That is, unless prices comes down on the monthies and a better distribution method can be found.

Thanks Marc,

I love the TPB format and on Tuesday I will most likely be either making a trip or phone call to my local comic shop and putting a stop to the majority of the titles I collect and switching over to TPB. I think the only one I will remain getting on a monthly basis is Uncanny X-Men, but I may even just get the trades on that.

I called a few comic shops in order to try and find out more information. The only thing that concerns me is that I may miss something entirely because it won't get published into trade format.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

i couldn't agree with what everybody here is saying about TPBs. one thing that i don't think was mentioned, though, is that you save a TON OF $$$ by purchasing the trade instead of individual issues. but kudos to all the other points as well, i agree 100%.