If there had never been RAH would any of you collect JvC

JayC

Just curious, if there had never been RAH and the established history that goes with it, would you be interested in GIJoe based on the new line of stuff, toys, comic, show ect, ect?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer to your first question: no. I grew up with RAH and bought them conservatively. RAH is what made me start collecting to begin with (Joes). My real love was Star Wars and TMNT. When I first saw JvC, it brought back memories and so I started buying them to recapture my lost love. Now with the RAH re-issues, I started going back to old school and gave up on the JvC line (few exceptions). But it if wasn't for JvC being readily availible (unlike the exclusive re-issues) I probably would have lost interest altogether. RAH though was what inspired me to buy JvC.

Let me ask you one more question. What first attracted you to GIJoe, then for RAH or now if you are a new GIJoe collector and JvC is what you started with.

My Uncle and grandad started me on GI Joe and I enjoyed them. I was a "new collector" when JvC came out and thought I could start over with the new sculpts. But when wave 1.5 came out, I leaned more toward RAH again because I liked it better. It was only recently that I began searching for older Joes and quit buying JVC figs.

nope cause if there was no RAH then there would be no interest, thats what i had as a kid, and thats where the love for this came from 8)

if there was no rah they would be no jvc.

But i would be attracted to the articulation and size of jvc but i'd think i'd pass unless i picked up a book.

the toon hooked me in.

if there was no rah they would be no jvc.

True but were I was going is if Say Hasbro did not come up with the concept Of Joe and Cobra till now and there was never the line in the 80's would there still be an attraction for you?

No, I wouldn't. Why would I care? If it was just a comic/toon with no toys, sure, I'd probably still be semi-interested, but it wouldn't really be on my radar, similar to some of the other non-Transformers 80's properties.

Plus, I'd have more cash, and wouldn't need to pick up any of the team sets either...so..yeah.

Also the other point of the question was to see what were the factors that attacted you to the line then and do you still find those same facttors attracting you now or do you collect it now solely for sentimental reasons?

it's not soley for nostalgia but i don't know if i would take the time to learn about the characters wich is what still makes me buy them, if not for a toon. Which is way i think sales will make a jump when spytroops comes on the air next month.

Kids don't know that cobra commander his evil or destro is a noble bad guy or the Stormy vs. Se is such an emotinal conflict. They need to, if there is some depth to the characters kids will appreciate it more than a peice of plastic.

Probably not because the only reason I collect JvC is because of RAH. When I was little I watched the cartoon and like so many other kids of the 80's had the toys to go with them. So after school I would come home, watch Joe and then have my own Joe vs. Cobra war (no pun intended). I really don't know why I liked them.....probably cause the characters looked so cool. Who knows why when I was little I gravitated towards GI Joe and not Transformers.......I just know that the Joe stuff was just more fun to play with. I kept myself entertained for hours with my RAH stuff. It was great......JvC is just nostalgic to me.......when I get home and open that new pack or find new Joes in the aisle (or online store :cry: ) it just takes me back. To a simpler time when I didn't have to worry about bills or going to work or any grown up stuff. It helps me escape and think about my childhood......(even though i'm only 22). The same with MOTU and comics in general. Even though Joe is my main thing now......I was just attracted to it......I also grew up in the VFW and was surrounded by veterans......I think that had something to do with my joining the military......its a lot of things.....but when it all comes down to it I probably wouldn't have picked up JvC if not for the RAH memories. 8)

wow JayC this is a tuff one. RAH started it all, so its hard to imagine liking ANYTHING without RAH.

I wonder if it had never existed, would some other toy co. like Lanard with CORPS have taken the industry and ran with it, or some other company, maybe like Mattel?

Or if JVC came out first and foremost with a bang, either in the present or past, considering RAH never existed, it may have actually taken the industry by storm since there is no RAH to compare it to, and then maybe more folks would be happy.

hard to say, but very good, deep question.

well.. I think if there was never RAH... I wouldn't be collecting toys still.. RAH was everything to me when I was little... and still my main hobby..RAH is what has kept me interested in toys for almost my entire life... there was that perios between about 93-97 when I wasn't buying toys anymore.

that being said.. I think GvC is a pretty good toyline in general.. but it is nothing compared to RAH in my opinion. but as of now, it doesn't really have any current competition.. Turtles are too kiddy, Starwars has gone down the toilet a bit, Transformers stuff is funky, MOTU is organized like crap.... but Marvel Legends are alot cooler... still, I don't collect GvC stuff, because of my RAH collection.. I feel GvC is inferior to RAH in every way, so maybe if I never had RAH, I might fully collect GvC?

its a conundrum

Looking back a few years here huh?

I started getting them from the beginning and remember not even caring about the Troopers and Officers, I wish now that I would have loaded up on them. I think I liked that they could hold their weapons and take them out of their hands, removable helmets. They were way posable. I loved that they could sit in vehicles like the VAMP.

For months I only had Zap and Clutch with the VAMP and that was all I ever played with.

Now as an adult I do not play with my toys and I really do not think I would like JVC. The only reason I get them now is because I love the old characters so much and enjoy seeing them get new outfits and remade. I always liked when characters wre remade in the RAH line, I always wanted more remade.

There must be some really close similarities with both lines that make me like JVC. The Transformers have changed and I don't like them anymore but loved Gen 1.

Just curious, if there had never been RAH and the established history that goes with it, would you be interested in GIJoe based on the new line of stuff, toys, comic, show ect, ect?

Hell no! I'd all but stopped collecting toys since before high school ('92?), if I remember correctly. If not for RAH, I wouldn't give two sh!ts about Joe today. If I didn't grow up on RAH, I'd have an even lower opinion of JvC than I currently do.

Let me ask you one more question. What first attracted you to GIJoe, then for RAH or now if you are a new GIJoe collector and JvC is what you started with.

Why I like Joe?

'Cause always I liked guns and military-related entertainment. From Joe and action movies to toys and comics... they all complimented each other at the time; growing up reading the Punisher and watching A-Team (Airwolf... Blue Thunder... it goes on and on). Realism (or as much as one can expect) and military action are still present in my current outlook on Joe.

And Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow.... :wink: Love me ninjas.

The answer to your first question is: Absolutely.  

The aspects that attract me to GI Joe:  

1) Unique soldier characters

2) An enemy.

3) The design of the toys themselves.  

Tom

this would have been my answer but i had quite toys for some time intill i heard about jvc1 one. what excited me wasn't military toys but joes.

If it wasn't for RAH, I wouldn't be a toy collector. I got my first set in 84, the Tactical Battle Platform as well as Airtight, and Dusty. Since I was a kid, I could only focus on the one line. When the line ended in '94, I had been collecting so long I had to look for something else. I bought some McToys, and then SW POTF2 came along and I was hooked again.

I bought all the 97 and 98 repaint sets, and then started with JvC.

I might have collected TFs or something, but probably would just have stuck with my Legos. I only got into comics because of RAH, and wanting more than the cartoon could offer. So I wouldn't have any toy or comic consciousness without RAH.

I got into RAH 'late' in the first wave or so; pre-svivel arm Rock and Roll, Grunt, Short Fuse, etc... I followed the Marvel comicbook from about issue 20/25. I also remember coming home from school to watch the series. I honestly can't remember if I got into the toys because of the show/comicbook or as a gift (my cousins had the 12" versions). I lost interest when it became a little too 'unrealistic' (Battleforce 200); ironically, "Havok" was one of my favorite vehicles :-? .

Had the vintage line(s) not existed...?

Name recognition is an obvious advantage.

What would make GvC stand out against Corps, 21stCentury, etc without it's legacy? Would Corps, 21stCentury even exist (in thier current form) ?

[sure there would be 'military' toys, (ie: green army men) but, to what extent?]

'Cause always I liked guns ... Love me ninjas.

This is the major reason I hope I never run into 8S in real life :lol: His almost instantaneous knowledge of any firearm, and his apparent love for ninjas.

Tom