Preseason football

cobia123

Does preseason football give u an outlook on how u think a team is going to do in the regular season of football, or do u look at it like its just a few games that mean nothing.

Personally, i think the games mean alot, it gives me a good outlook on how my teams gonna do. Alot of people think they mean nothing. i mean i'll say something like "Oh the giants are 0-2, looks liek there gonna do horrible this year", someone will reply "Oh cmon man its just a preseason game its nothing". Well im sorry but i do think they mean something. Thoughts?

I think it matters, but much less while the first team is playing. I've seen too many foul performances by first teamers during the preseason that end up doing well during the regular season, and too many great performances that end up being sour. Take, for instance, the Vikings preseason after Korey Stringer died. They blew everyone out of the water on first team, and went 4-0. They did terrible in the regular season.

I do think preseason helps get the rust off, because even great players (like Vick) get rusty during the offseason. Any starter will tell you that, and not be ashamed. You can't go almost 8 months (if you make it to the playoffs) without the real thing. You need the real-time reps during preseason games that practice and scrimages just can't give you.

On another note, I think preseason really helps to develop talent. When else are these guys going to get experience? With NFL Europe in limbo, the only other place is in Canada, and I don't think any NFL franchise will allow that. Plus, you also get a feel for how backups will perform, though this can also go either way as I stated in the first few senteces of this post. Up until last year, the starter for seattle, Hasselbeck, was known as Mr. August, because he was superb during preseason, and also because he didn't show signs that he could convert such talent over to the regular season.

In closing, I think the preseason is something the NFL needs. I don't care how early training camp starts now and how there's really no 'offseason', there's still a gap too big between the end of the season and the start of the new one to do away with preseason.

i like the preseason but i fully think there should be only 2 games, cause football is different now adays the players are working out all year round now, to stay in shape and such so i mean i dont think there is any need of 4 preseason games and if the nfl wants that , they should make 2 of them count 8)