Gargoyles! The classic toy line that never was

Cyber Bear

Not only was Gargoyles one of the most under rated action cartoons of all times, but it really missed its chance of becoming a great action figure line as well. At the time the line was out was when Kenner had the theory of making the same character 50 different ways. Fans were plaqued with countless Goliaths and numerouse remakes of the trio. It was surprising to see such characters as Cold Stone, Macbeth, and even Elisa Maza.

Now think of what could have been. We could have had a Hunter, the Pack, Children of Avalon, Griff, Reneer, and mabey even Damona human form. All major players in the series that lasted 3 years on network TV.

I guess what brought me to my rambling is thinking how I could make some TMNT story lines more interesting. What better way to have the guardians of the underground meet the warriors of the sky.

Gargoyles one of the most under rated action cartoons of all times

damn straight! I loved that show, and I always thought that if done correctly they would've made a great toy line.

A couple of others they could've done:Angela(why didn't they do her?),Thalog,Derrick and his "clan".

I thought of those characters after I had posted. King Aurther made some appearances. I also thought that the the Clan Thalog created would have been easy for Kenner to do. They could just redeco the molds that already exsisited.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Gargoyles was great, but lets not forget why the show was cancelled. Gargoyles was one of the best cartoons I had ever seen until they aired the climatic "Hunters Moon mini-series" then the series moved to Saturday mornings on ABC where the show failed due to a surprisinly bad story lines. It seemed like all the great enemy's that the Gargoyles had suddenly disappeared and only the Querry Men where around during the new shows name Gargoyles the gialoth chronicles. I as a huge fan truely do not understand how Disney let this huge hit of a cartoon go down the tubes!

I use to love this show as well, I would rush home from school every thursday just to watch it. Took me about 30 min to get home or less if I was faster so Iwould get there in just about the nick of time.

As for the gargoyles toys... Versions thaat are out now most are find but they really do sorta suck :S . I duno how they could make them better though... I think they would be goofy with lots of articulation.

Yes Gargoyles was great, but lets not forget why the show was cancelled. Gargoyles was one of the best cartoons I had ever seen until they aired the climatic "Hunters Moon mini-series" then the series moved to Saturday mornings on ABC where the show failed due to a surprisinly bad story lines. It seemed like all the great enemy's that the Gargoyles had suddenly disappeared and only the Querry Men where around during the new shows name Gargoyles the gialoth chronicles. I as a huge fan truely do not understand how Disney let this huge hit of a cartoon go down the tubes!

And how weird was that one episode where MacBeth was on that talk show defending them?

Gargoyles rocked - especially my fav ep "the hound of ulster"

But your right they could have had heaps of figures instead of the many variations of goliath - they could have had characters that they met on that avalon quest and could have made a castle wyvern playset (or did they make one, i don't think NZ got the entire gargoyle line)

could have made a castle wyvern playset (or did they make one, i don't think NZ got the entire gargoyle line)

http://www.mindspring.com/~dmalderman/garg...s/figures3.html

This site has most if not all, of the line; including the castle playset (near the bottom)

I think I heard that the playset and vehicles were 'tail-enders' (but, I could be mistaken) I found the Zanatos car at KB and I remember seeing a one castle at Toy Liquidators a few years later.

I was really surprised/impressed to see a Batman-esque cartoon coming from Disney; and, it quickly became one of my favorite toons. My only problem was that, in the afternoon timeslot, they seemed to run the same episodes over and over. I missed the the Goliath Chronicles, but, it sounds like that might have been a good thing. Was there any kind of closure or was it left 'open-ended'?

I've tried to catch it on Toon Disney, but, I either miss it or see the same ones (see: above)

At one point, there was talk of a 'live-action' film, but, I don't know what happened with that. With special effects, and the current trend 'attraction' films, I wonder if they'll ever consider the idea again?

• 3 weeks later...

These things are....somewhat hard to find, but occasionally show up on ebay. I found a Goliath (like...claw climbing something) just this past weekend and picked him up. Cool. I like the wings.

I loved the series as well. Watched it every day I could.

But you know....another company made Gargoyles toys besides Kenner.

vy_broo.jpg

vy_gol.jpg

vy_hud.jpg

vy_broa.jpg

vy_lex.jpg

Great pics! I really loved this show. I wish they would put it on DVD or something. It would be awesome. I guess I'm lucky in that I was able to get the movie on laser disc. Some day I hope to transfer that onto DVD. And occasionally I do take out the figures and just look at them. I wish they had continued with the line. I had all the basic characters and even Coldstone until he got stolen.

• 5 months later...

Woohoo! Finally saw that ABCfamily channel is playing the Gargoyles on Saturday morning. It's so cool to revisit with this series again. If only they'd create a new movie for it. Given how Disney has a propensity to create sequels to everything they have now, I'm surprised they haven't. Course I guess it might not bode well if the creativity department there has disappeared and they have to rely on past characters and stories.

What would be interesting though is if the Four Horsemen were to do their take on these characters. After the whole Masters of the Universe remake, it would definitely be interesting to see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
So what was the goliath chronicles about...

The Goliath Chronicles was the sub title for the 3rd season. These 13 episodes were of lower quality and a generally more childish feel. After the conclusion of the Hunter’s Moon storyline Xanatos was no longer a threat and became an ally to the Clan.

The Last episode: Angels in the Night

Plot Points

• The clan is lured into an abandoned building at dawn. A bomb goes off.

• Angela and Bronx are caught in the park and taken into custody.

• The clan are still alive, thanks to a scheme by Xanatos. He offers them a chance at disappearing forever, gives them the choice "to be or not to be."

• The Quarrymen intend to sabotage the train transporting Angela and Bronx. The clan discover this as they attempt a rescue.

• The clan saves the train and its passengers. Castaway is semi-revealed to be Jon Canmore. As the sun rises, Goliath holds Elisa and reflects that they will finally be accepted.

This site should help: www.gargoyles-fans.org

I really enjoyed this episode. Not as much as Future Tense or the Gathering, but I was pleased with it. It wasn't made as well as the earlier eps but the creators seemed to return to their roots.

BTW: Gargoyles will be released on DVD very soon: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread...t=Gargoyles+DVD