Beast Wars Not So Bad

JayC

I decided on a whim to pick up the Beast Wars DVD set. I had only seen the 1st two episodes when they first came on and never really got into the show. Still don't really like the toys, but the after waching the season one DVD set I think the show is actually pretty good. Not as good as G1 but I do think its alot better than RID or Armada.

I have to say that I never really had interest in it. I had a don't care attitude about it until a coworker really recommended it. I am VERY impressed with it & picked up the box set on Tuesday.

....media people out there have KAZAA TO THANK for me spending money on the box set.

In any case - JayC, it just keeps getting better. I am only around episode 14 (the Kazaa eps stopped around 11) and they really do a great job developing character.

G1 will always hold a sentimental place in my heart and I will love it to death...however Beast Wars writing is vastly superior in terms of characters.

I had NOTHING to do with BW until after everything ended. Since then I have loved them. I have every figure and cant wait to get the boxset.

Jay where did you get it? I called Circuit City and they were out, while Best Buy said it was pushed til the 19th.

while Best Buy said it was pushed til the 19th

Hmm. That is where I got mine on Tuesday.

i got mine at Media Play but how could you guys have never gotten into it??? BW toys used the ball jointed TFs to the max and had great transformations and show representations. The show is superior to the original G1 in every way also, more character development, better animation, better plotline/story line, more continuity etc. This is all just my opinion but idont see why none of you never got interested in it.

Well show wise I didnt like the CGI at first and I was a huge G1 fan and at the time was very disapointed it had no real connection with G1. Also I was in college and didnt have time to really catch the shows. For the toys, I don't like them cause the ball joints always seemed to break apart, Im also not a huge fan of animal Transformers. A few here and there like the orginal Dinobots dont bother me but when thats all you got it just didnt grab my attention.

Also probably just gowing up in different times I suppose has something to do with it.

The story gets REALLY GOOD at the end of Season 2, and Season 3 is just awesome.

I love Beast Wars. I miss having sophisticated Transformer shows. The dialogue is just leagues beyond anything we've had in the last two years. And some of the best and most brutal battles have taken place in Beast Wars. Stuff you won't see anywhere on kiddy shows these days. I was watching Season 3 today, and Blackarachnia shot TM2 Dinobot in the face. And any of the brawls between Depthcharge and Rampage are golden. In "Deep Metal" Deptcharge ignites his jets with Rampage right underneath them, then hurls Rampage onto a huge jagged rock. It pierced his torso; it was just brutal. I love intelligent television, but when you can combine it with occasional mind-numbing violence and still make it all work... you have a winnah.

I grew up with G1, but the only reason that anyone likes that show is because of sentamental value. G1 had no real story line, weak plots, to much human involvement, was occasionally very poorly animated all the stuff that we rip Armada for today. I do admit that G1 was better then Armada and RiD but its no where near as good as BW. Other then not being vehicles BW had everything that a good show should have. Quality plot, most episodes feed off another, not overloaded with characters so each gets some screen time to delevop, Characters don't just show up without some reason. That was something that cursed G1 especially at the end. I remember one of the last episodes where something like 20 characters where jsut thown in there and they took the time to rattle off their names just to make sure people knew to buy the figure. BW had minimal human involvement and villians that actually had more to them then just global domination. Unlike the other series it did link to G1 as well. Personally I think anyone that doesn't like this series is very very closed minded and will never be satisfied with anything. I still say that if G1 were released today and none of us knew anything about it and were seeing it for the first time we'd rip it to shreds.

I still say that if G1 were released today and none of us knew anything about it and were seeing it for the first time we'd rip it to shreds.

Mmmm...I don't quite think so. If it were released today, it would be different than it was in the eighties. Keyword - eighties. I still like G1. Some of the episodes are kinda odd, but it is still entertaining and moves at a pace that is up to current standards.

I mean - I like old TV shows like I Love Lucy, the Dick van Dyke show and stuff like that. Still find them very funny - however if you saw that sort of stuff today (as in...it just came out in this day and age) then of course you would feel it is out of place.

Beast Wars has some great writing and smart writers at that - but G1 is just G1 & I love it.

I got mine at Suncoast.

*TskTsk*

JayC,we're in Northern Virginia here!You probably ended up paying at least 5 bucks extra.You should've picked it up at Best Buy or something and saved some cash!

I never really got into Beast Wars,but on occassion throughout the whole 'series' (BW,Transmetals,Beast Machines,etc),I would watch some episodes if they were on TV.Usually during high school I'd come home and sit in front of the TV doing homework and watching TV at the same time,and often I was tuned into the afternoon cartoons......Beast Wars was one of them.

I got into BW about 3 months ago. The show still airs daily in the Netherlands (it'll take another 3 years for Armada to air here :roll: ) and I watch all episodes together with my girlfriend!!! She actually likes the show!!!! Yesterday we saw the first episode of Nemesis, where Rampage and Depth Charge die....what a great episode!!!!

It has been said before in this thread, I also think it's a better show than G1. Better storylines and charactes, and scenes which do not belong in a cartoon for kids 8) BW. I LOVE IT.

Well show wise I didnt like the CGI at first and I was a huge G1 fan and at the time was very disapointed it had no real connection with G1. Also I was in college and didnt have time to really catch the shows. For the toys, I don't like them cause the ball joints always seemed to break apart, Im also not a huge fan of animal Transformers. A few here and there like the orginal Dinobots dont bother me but when thats all you got it just didnt grab my attention.  

Also probably just gowing up in different times I suppose has something to do with it.

Oh but it actually had a very big connection with G1. The allusions and occasional G1 "discoveries" that are made throughout the series are half the fun. There is a mystery in BW.... I remember when I first started getting back into Transformers I was VERY confused with BW, How did they become animals??? How does this relate to G1 or Cybertron? Are these the same transformers or different ones with the same names? No one would answer my questions they simply said "Watch The Show" and So I did. And Found myself sucked into a VERY well written show with great dialogue, amazing character development, and a plot that is just wicked. Here we have a Sequel that takes place in Prequel time! And the various episodes where G1 Transformers return or make appearances, or when The Ark is discovered, All that just adds all kinds of nostalgic butterflies to the fun as you get into this show. Beast Wars to me was hands down the best cartoon in the whole transfomers series. And I am an old timer, that grew up running home from school every day in the eighties to catch Transformers and Gi Joe on TV. But Beast Wars has got it all man!!

Phanstar

Oh but it actually had a very big connection with G1. The allusions and occasional G1 "discoveries" that are made throughout the series are half the fun. There is a mystery in BW.... I remember when I first started getting back into Transformers I was VERY confused with BW, How did they become animals??? How does this relate to G1 or Cybertron? Are these the same transformers or different ones with the same names? No one would answer my questions they simply said "Watch The Show" and So I did. And Found myself sucked into a VERY well written show with great dialogue, amazing character development, and a plot that is just wicked. Here we have a Sequel that takes place in Prequel time! And the various episodes where G1 Transformers return or make appearances, or when The Ark is discovered, All that just adds all kinds of nostalgic butterflies to the fun as you get into this show. Beast Wars to me was hands down the best cartoon in the whole transfomers series. And I am an old timer, that grew up running home from school every day in the eighties to catch Transformers and Gi Joe on TV. But Beast Wars has got it all man!!

Phanstar

Well I know that now, that there is some connection with G1 and BW but back then after only watching the 1st 2 episodes I did not realize that. In fact I was like Optimus Primal?? WTF is that?

As for G1, yeah the animation at times was weak when you would have sideswipe sitting in Decepticon HQ and errors like that but for the time it was pretty good. Also the plots though were usually self contained for each episode (another sign of the times) were pretty good and interesting. Not dumbed down so much like todays episodes. Sure they put some corny one liners in there only a kid could love but it was a kids show. Towards the end the show things really started to deteriate and good epeisodes become few and far in between but im sure thats because interest in the show and the toy had decreased and the companies involved were putting less interest in them. Lets not also forget from the toy companines point of view these things are essentially just large comercials for their products. Throughout G1 you had some Great character developement. G1 Megatron is still by far my favorite version of Megs. And Im talking character wise not toy or look wise. G1 Prime was also probaly the best version of this character though I will admit the BW version is pretty good to. Then you have characters like Starscream who will never be topped. The heel everyone loves to hate. It seems like they tried this with Terydactyl in BW but just isnt the same as old Starscream. I agree BW was probably more sophisticated than G1 but lets not forget these are shows that are really made more for kids and I think G1 did a much better job of reaching both older and younger audiances. It wasnt to sophistcated for younger viewers but wasnt so dumbed down for older viewers like todays show come off, at least to me anyway.

Oh and if they had spent the money to do animation like they did for TFTM throughout the entire G1 series it would have totally ruled in that dept as well. Oh I also give sound effects and music to G1.

So I think BW is pretty good and will enjoy watching these all for the first time, and I hear the show really does get better in season 2 and 3 but G1 will always be tops for me. Whether its because it was really that good or just because thats what I grew up on, im not sure but thats my opinion anyway.

Im with Jay. I watched some of BW here and there but never really followed it. I saw the toys, bought one, and was like "cool" but I wasn't into toys too much at the begining. As time passed I got back into TF and caught up with BW toys but the show had ended. I hear how great it is. I cant wait to get the other seasons to see how great it is. I mean I like the first eps.

How many seasons was BW?