G.I. Joe #20 & G.I. Joe:Frontline #11 Reviews (spoilers)

Darren

G.I. Joe #20

Writer: Josh Blaylock

Penciler: Brandon Badeaux

Story So Far: After the kidnapped saga involving Baroness and Flint,Cobra's hierarchy of CC,Zartan,and the Twins are busy going over a plan to get the remaining Dreadnoks out of jail (who were arrested during the Malfunction storyline).While they debate,they get news from a frightened Thrasher who was a breath away from death...Storm Shadow is free from the Cobra mind control!

Art

In all honesty,I'm not a fan of Brandon Badeaux's art and style,but it is beginning to warm up on me.Nevertheless,BB's typical mistakes are shown here,sloppiness at times,lack of attention to details.It's like he was either bored or rushed the work at times,but I give man credit,he does draw a sexy Scarlett and his Cobra Commander is a unique style on the character that I haven't seen before.BB's Commander displays a masked, heartless demeanor that is frightening,but it's difficult to get to see CC display emotion since BB hardly draws his eyes in any other fashion than just looking straight ahead or at a certain target.BB also has some good spreads,the one on the final page is rather good,featuring CC surrounded by Crimson Guards,and a page where Scarlett tosses her ring away (looks like she got sick of all the Ninja stuff in GI Joe too! :o ).It still looks like BB is evolving as an artist and maybe that's why he's on the GI Joe title,to help get him some spotlight attention,but I still strongly believe that GI Joe should have a regular artist like Tim Seeley (who did issue #16) or especially Mike Miller (who is currently doing the GI Joe/TF series).

Writing

The writing wasn't that bad in this issue.The main thing that hurt me in the past few issues was Blaylock's characterization of Destro,which was WAY off,but Blaylock seems to stick back to the characters again here,I'm sure though that a better artist may have helped contribute to the writing though as well,as BB's scenes can sometimes be bland and suck the life out of the writing themselves.In it's root,this is somewhat of a 'ninja' story that the Marvel "Joe" series was plagued with,but it's of a different context and can go either way...especially if we don't know if SS is going to break the mind control or not as he's struggling throughout the entire comic.Billy is back in action as well,contacted by his old sensei for aid and comes rushing to Snake Eyes and Kamakura for more help,who are busy chilling in his rebuilt cabin in the sierras with Scarlett.I have to admit that Blaylock has been pushing too much attention in recent times on his own creations like Zanya,Kamakura,Daemon,and Firewall,etcetc...sometimes it isn't bad,other times it's too much.I think Kamakura here is somewhat out of place,because he doesn't share as long of a history in the Joeverse as Snake Eyes,Billy and Storm Shadow have.Hopefully Kamakura will stay in the shadows,I do have to say that I hope Billy gets some cool codename since he's supposedly now part of the Joe team.One unique twist that Blaylock tossed in here was Scarlett obviously upset about SE going off to rescue Storm Shadow...so much so that she tosses away her engagement ring.........HUH?!?I'm questioning this since before Scarlett and SE ever became an item,she has always been well aware of the brotherly connection between SE and Stormy.If anything she should encourage Snake Eyes,even go with him (instead of damn Kamakura!)...this was really out of the ballpark in my opinion and very unlike Scarlett.Nevertheless,the ending of this issue came to a stunning and emotional climax which helped really cement CC's newly invigorated ruthlessness.He caps Billy!Wow!Though I'm sure it isn't a death shot,it's really showing the Commander's deep commitment to Cobra,like he's spitting on Billy since Billy is a reminder of his past life and failures...and even because of Billy he wanted to give up on Cobra.Nice way to bring this to a climax for the new issue.

Positives

+ Nice spreads especially one of CC and the Crimson Guards and a sexy Scarlett in civies.

+ Snake Eyes in his original '82 Commando outfit during a training scene.

+ Thrasher trying to explain to Cobra Commander that Stormy escaped and CC not understanding a damn word he's saying.

+ Nice cliff-hanger leading into the next issue.

+ Old school "Ninja" story,but not overdone and focusing on a things from a different angle.

+ Snake Eyes,Storm Shadow,Scarlett,Cobra Commander,and Crimson Guards!

+ Characterization of Zartan,who doesn't want to go after Stormy,CC basically calls him a coward and wonders if it's because of past "transgressions"

+ Kickin' Rad homemade Destro costume photo in the 'feedback' section!

Negatives

- Kamakura.

- Artwork in some panels.

- Characterization of Scarlett (especially when she tosses the ring away and her reasons for doing so).

- "Expressionless" CC...I prefer seeing his eyes bug out at times,it helps convey his emotions and anger better.

Overall,I give it a 3.5 out of 5,the characterization and artwork drags it down a little,but it's still a very good read,especially for the Joe fans out there!

G.I. Joe Frontline #11

Writer: Brandon Jerwa

Penciler: Eddy Barrows

Story: The highlight is that this is G.I. Joe fan Brandon Jerwa's first shot on a comic book....and it's with G.I. Joe!Devil's Due has been raving about him and his first issue is here involving Chuckles!Chuckles has been deep undercover in Extensive Enterprises,hot on the tail now of a virus that was hijacked by Cobra and about to be transferred.That's where Beach Head,Flash,Tripwire,and Airtight come in,looking to capture the virus during the transfer.

Art

I am not at all familiar with Eddy Farrows,but he did leave an impression on me here.His artwork is very clean and crisp,and you can esaily discern the Joes from everyone else.At times I saw a touch of ol' Marvel Joe-artwork there.Farrows does a good job with the Joes,Beach Head,Airtight,Flash and Tripwire,all characters who haven't had much limelight in the comics at times.Farrows does have a good shot of Beach Head diving out of an airplane.The negative parts were that his linework got a little sloppy at times much like Badeaux,and it seemed like he has trouble drawing characters in the dark and vehicles as well.Not all that bad though as I do like the man's work and he does a fair job overall.Nothing too stellar thus far,but very well drawn.

Writing

This is the big thing,this is Jerwa's first exposure to the fans...and he was one of us (and still is),he's just now inside looking out.This Frontline arc has been positively acclaimed by DD thus far,and now the burden and pressure is heavier on Jerwa since he will be taking over GI Joe with issue #26.The question is whether he'll sink or swim and this first issue is a crucial one to see how much he really knows about GI Joe.While I'm not an avid writer and especially not a comic writer,I'm sure there will be points where he will be making 'rookie' mistakes.Nevertheless,Jerwa does a good job of getting right into the story and action without much foreplay BS.Instantly we're introduced to the basic plotline.Though it seems rather basic and redundant,it leaves room since there's 3 more freakin' issues of this arc.One of Jerwa's strong points in this issue was characterization, and he pulled it off VERY well.Background Joes step into the limelight here with Chuckles,Flash,Tripwire,and Airtight...with some *starpower* in Beach Head.And their characterizations are spot-on...well....for as much as we know about them.Chuckles is mostly undercover and we know that he just wants to get the job done,while at the same time not compromising his identity even though it was uncovered!Airtight is quite the jokester,but is serious and passionate about what his specialty is.Tripwire is the clumsy goof we know and love,he falls out of the plane rather than dives...lucky he has a parachute!Flash...well....he's Flash,he's just like 'one of the guys' and Beach Head...well Beach Head was definitely the no-nonsense tough guy and he brought about some laughs from me from this one.When being briefed about the virus,Airtight comments in a complex string about biological stuff and how it's all very interesting...meanwhile,we get Beach Head who casually mumbles "Freak". :lol: Really good stuff thus far...and so far Jerwa has shown a strong knowledge of the characters and their personalities.While the plot seems pretty basic,it gets a little more complicated in the end with a twist in things,it what may seem like a Hollywood set up.Basically Chuckles is discovered to be a Joe agent,but Chuckles claims he's a double agent...then to prove his loyalty,he has to kill a Joe.So there's a nice cliffhanger ending there as well.Great work thus far by Jerwa,and the dialogue isn't that bland or corny either,and the right words match the right character.

Positives

+ Great writing.

+ Great characterization.

+ Nice to see guys like Flash,Airtight,Chuckles and Tripwire be in the spotlight for a change.

+ Interesting but basic plotline,I'm excited to see how it turns out.

+ Nice,solid,and crisp artwork.

+ Thus far,Jerwa has shown that he knows his stuff!

Negatives

- If you like the Joe star characters,look elsewhere or wait for another story arc to start.

- Some of the military codes in the issue sound a little too corny or generalized.

- Lame main villain thus far,it looks like he's a basic Snow Serpent a step above the rest.

Jerwa definitely shows some promise,some solid work here!Though I was digging GI Joe #20 a little bit more though (mostly cause there were heavy-hitter villains there as well),it was still some great Joe work.I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Let me know what you people think! :D

Thefourthrail.com's review of Front Line #11:

by Randy Lander  

G.I. JOE: FRONTLINE #11

"History Repeating 1 of 4"

Recommended (8/10)  

Image Comics

Writer: Brandon Jerwa

Pencils: Eddy Barrows

Inks: Cory Hamscher

Colors: Lynx Studios

Letters: Dreamer Design

Price: $2.95 US/$4.00 CAN

You know what I love, as a reviewer and a fan? I love being surprised. And one of the best kind of surprises for someone like me, who reads a lot of books every week, is when a completely new creative team on a book that isn't really one of my favorites just comes in and knocks me on my butt. That's pretty much what happened with G.I. Joe: Frontline, a title that continues to surpass the main title with its quality and which starts off a weekly four-part story this issue that feels in all the important ways like the G.I. Joe that I have such a nostalgic attachment to. Jerwa picks out a fun team of characters, sets up an interesting plot with a couple of twists, and Barrows and Hamscher deliver strong, clear artwork to keep the story moving. This is a good first chapter, and I look forward to seeing the rest of the story, and Brandon Jerwa's run on the main G.I. Joe title.  

"History Repeating" is a love letter to the G.I. Joe franchise, with a nod back to continuity from the first ten issues of the G.I. Joe book, but it's also remarkably accessible. You don't need to know that Tyler Wingfield's father was a paramilitary nut who intended to start World War III, or that his mother shot his father during a G.I. Joe operation, to get the story, but if you do, it's a nice little Easter egg. (Although Tyler's age does make you start wondering how old some of the Joes must be now, but that's mostly a nitpick.) Hell, you don't even need to know that much about the G.I. Joe team setup, you just have to grasp the basic idea of military special ops and undercover work to get into the story.  

What really impresses me about the story is that it's multi-layered, with a number of characters, but never confusing. Jerwa is playing around with characters who have several levels of loyalty: an undercover G.I. Joe agent, an undercover CIA agent (or is he?), Wingfield's lover who gives off a sense of certain loyalty issues herself (like father, like son in choosing partners, perhaps) and a villainous plot that involves not just the ubiquitous Cobra but a third force guided by a dangerous mercenary type. Despite all of these potential layers, the general flow of the story is very smooth, and it's easy to tell what the characters' goals and motivations are, except when they are purposely being kept in the dark.  

Jerwa is a new writer, but artist Eddy Barrows is a new name to me as well. A quick look around the web shows me that he may have done at least one issue of Superboy or another DC book, but it's work that I've missed, so G.I. Joe: Frontline is my first exposure. His work here is very solid, with a straightforward approach that reminds me of someone like Dan Jurgens or Tom Grummett at their best, blending detailed and realistic character work with exciting storytelling. There's great attention to detail on the uniforms, weapons, vehicles and lairs that are a big part of the attraction of G.I. Joe, and his work on a few of the brief action scenes demonstrates a skill with that other important component as well.  

In one of his interviews, Jerwa compared the weekly pace of this story to something like Alias or 24, and really, that's the feel I get from the book in general. This is a fast-paced thriller with plot twists and turns, and it certainly grabs the attention from the moment the Captain at McCord AFB's radar station says "Go to red alert. We have a problem" all the way to the end where Wingfield gives G.I. Joe agent "Chuckles"... well, that would be telling. But it's a nail-biter, with more real suspense than the G.I. Joe stories have had so far. As with most of the G.I. Joe books, if you're not a fan of the concept or if an undercover agent code-named "Chuckles" with a penchant for Hawaiian shirts is too goofy for you, this might not work, but those with an affection for G.I. Joe will definitely want to check this story out.

great two books, I want more, now! lol. We have to wait a whole month for joe but at least no for frontline.

1. Scarlets behavior: I saw this as the problem in there relationship in the first place. She is jealous that someone who is on the other side of battle is closer to him than she is. She gave up on him and wishes he would do the same. Was the ring swinging moody? yes but women can be that way no? :wink:

To her this was more of the, great he is gonna go get himself killed for a crazy bad guy instead of being with me.

2. Kamakura: Eh, he's cool. They are trying to recapture the mystery snake-eyes lost. It's not workign as well and won't becouse snake-eyes will always be too popular not to be a big star (unfortnatly)

3. Frontlines: take a good look cause this is our next joe writer after blaylock.

Thanks CC and procko for those, i am definitly going to pic up those issues 8) , Sounds Like Jerwa has a lot to bring to the table bye understand the background of characters. Keep it up man

3. Frontlines: take a good look cause this is our next joe writer after blaylock.

I think this could work out to be a beeeyuuutiful friendship. :D

Is Front Line still weekly for Brandon's arc or is it back to monthly?

Yes,it will still be weekly for Brandon's arc,the next issue comes out next Wednesday.Devil's Due was even late getting issue #11 out the first week of August...typical Image publishing blunders.

GIJoe #20 was pretty good. Loved the ending. The Scarlet thing didnt really fit that well IMO either but overall the story was nice. Not sure I like the idea of doing another Silent Issue. The Marvel one as a 1 time thing was kinda cool but if you start doing it on a regualr basis it kinda looses its appeal. Course I'll hold final judgement till after I actually read issue 21.

I have only glanced thru Frontline. The art was very nice. That has been my main gripe about this series so far. The story seemes interesting and its nice to see a classic character like Flash get some spotlight.

Don't you mean look at 21 Jay? lol. That makes it go by a lot quicker. I still can't wait though.

And if you guys don't know the frontline after this arc deals with the nighcreepers.