DC sucks

ManWithoutFear20

I can only speak from my experiences. I first got into comics when I was about 10 yrs. old. My parents had just gotten divorced and i needed an outlet. My mom's first boyfriend brought my brother and I a huge stack of 1960's DC Comics with 12 cent cover prices. I think comics should be left as an escape from our real world. DC Comics has its own world and mythology that Lex Luthor can the cities are fictional.

In Marvel-land, every hero in the world lives in New York. If that's the case, how come all the criminals are still there? You'd think crime would be virtually nonexistent. This shows that most of the heroes are ineffectual, to say the least. Mind you I love the Avengers, Ultimates, and Iron Man, but I've always thought comics were an escape.

Oh and for a weakness, try Iron Man. Just say,"Boo!" and he'll have a heart attack. Maybe just send him a bottle of Jim Beam for his birtday, and he'll pass out. DC Comics were the progenitors of all the rest. Marvel has a nice "human" side to some of their characters. But DC invented the super-hero genre, and deserves to be given the respect it's due.

Just my little 'ol opinion.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comics are an escape i totally agree...if you are in Gotham or Metropolis (which is a city in Chiago mind you) New York or Miami...you open the pages and you emerse yourself in your fav charaters adventures. 9-11 was a very touching subjet and i did buy that spiderman book and have to say yes they did a great job with the joining of the "bad" guys and "good" guys to help america in a time of need.

I have about 77 Batman TPB's and 13 Superman TPB's but the thing that gets me about DC is that alot of it is either too hard to follow or too stupid...Krypto the Superdog for instance...Dumb.

Marvel stories for me, are easier to follow because it doesn't have 70 years of continuity like DC does...

Marvel is completly ignoring its roots...I picked up a copy of Daredevil the other day and the Colin Farrel Bullseye design was in it.

Did you read the part where Daredevil calls him a loser for getting the tattoo...how Bullseye tried to comeback with "It's a target" but DD smashed his face in? If anything, BMB was satiring the change in the movie.

Look at the X-men.......they haven't worn superhero costumes since the 1st movie came out.

The X-Men wear costumes in X-Treme X-Men AND Uncanny X-Men...New X-Men isn't the only X book out there, believe it or not. Plus, does it really make sense for the teachers of a school to come to class dressed in battle gear?

If I'm having problems with my girlfriend I don't want to read about Spidey's problems with MJ, I want to see him save the city, bank, or even MJ. You guys get what I'm saying????

Actually, no, I don't. I think this is the biggest difference between Marvel and DC. Marvel isn't as much of an escape as DC comics...they're closer to fables, showing the characters' foibles and echoing the readers' own lives. DC, outside of Batman (which is the only DC comic I have ever enjoyed), just seems to have one dimensional characters, with more black and white than shades of grey.

Are Jeph Loeb and Jim Lee changing that aspect of DC? Yeah...but they're really Marvelizing them in the process.

Last, but not least, I think that despite the comic book market's sales being way, way down compared to 15 years ago, the books that are succeeding are the ones that grasp onto reality more, aside from the Transformers books, obviously. The whole Ultimate line is very modern reality-grounded...and from what I've read about Superman these days is that the book's storylines are anything but compelling. (Superman_ Red Son notwithstanding.)

I really think it's funny that you consider Marvel is "selling out." They're a company trying to make money while telling stories. It's not like DC has ever killed off their main heroes to try and drive sales up, eh? :wink:

This thread is dumb. It's just a troller's attempt to start a flame war by bringing up an age old argument that'll never have a real winner.

The arguments don't even make much sense...you have people saying DC is better because it's more realistic and then you have people saying DC is better because it's more of a fantasy escape from the real world. Huh?

1 To the person who said DC is better 'cuz Batman is the most realistic superhero ever, I have two words: Bat-Mite. :P

2. To the person who said Marvel is better because DC uses fake cities: tell me where I can find places like Latveria, Wakanda, and Genosha on the map. Because I've always wanted to go visit Dr. Doom, but for some reason I can't find a single airline that has flights to Latveria...I wonder why?

3. To the person who said Marvel was better in the beginning but DC caught up: that makes no sense, there was no Marvel in the beginning. And Marvel started out with guys like Sub-Mariner and robo-Human Torch to compete with Superman, Batman, Captain Marvel, etc. Marvel was the one that started out behind but caught up in the 60's, when the Avengers, X-Men, Hulk, FF, Spider-Man, DD, etc. were born.

4. To the person who said DC was better because Marvel movies change things from the comics, how about Harvey Dent being black in the first Batman movies, and Catwoman being black in the old tv show? Lex Luthor with hair? Pa Kent dying while Clark was young? The Batman & Robin movie, period?

5. To the person who said every Marvel movie has been great: The Punisher(the one with the guy who played He-Man, not the new one), Trial of the Incredible Hulk, Howard the Duck, and that unreleased Fantastic Four. 'Nuff said?

6. To the person who said DC is better because it came first: without Nintendo there probably wouldn't have been a Playstation, but does that automatically mean that the Gamecube is better than the PS2?

7. To the person who said Marvel doesn't have "good vs. evil" superhero stories anymore: the Fantastic Four just finished a pretty straight-forward FF vs. Dr. Doom arc not dealing with personal lives or real-world events, just straight-up hero and villain battle. Daredevil's been fighting the Owl, Typhoid Mary, Bullseye and Kingpin over in his book. The Avengers are fighting the Red Skull right now, Captain America's taking on some weird talking hand villain, Punisher's still wiping out thugs, Hulk's been fighting Abomination and Absorbing Man, etc. I agree that they're doing too many things like the new Thunderbolts, Call of Duty, Runaways, stuff that tries to be different, but you can still find some old-style superhero comics from Marvel.

And Spider-Man's relationship problems have ALWAYS been a part of the comics, since he started going out with Betty Brant in the really early days. It's not like stuff with him and MJ is some major change from the norm.

8. And finally, to the guy who said Marvel heros are ineffective because there are still criminals in New York, how ineffective are DC heros then? There's still all sorts of crime in Gotham and Metropolis. I mean, how come the Joker has escaped from prison a thousand times and managed to murder hundreds of people over all this time? Hell, real-world cops are more effective than Batman because at least they can catch killers and keep them locked away.

Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk, but this whole debate has always seemed pointless to me. It's essentially all opinion anyways, there's no real way you can "prove" that Marvel or DC is better. I'll be honest and say I'm a much bigger fan of Marvel than DC, but that doesn't mean I think the dudes who buy Green Lantern or Aquaman comics instead of Iron Man and Thor are dumb. They like what they like, and I like what I like, and that's cool.

Just buy whatever comic books you like, and be happy with what you spend your money on. There's no real need to 'justify' that what you spend your cash on is better than what some other guy on a message board spends his on because some flamer with 20 posts says it's bad. :roll:

Anyways, I'm done b****ing. Peace, y'all.

I think both companies have their ups and downs. Always have. Why does one company have to be better than the other?

Wow, you said what I was trying to say a heck of a lot simpler and easier than I did. I feel dumb now. :lol:

I don't want to barge in here and start another debate,but at times both the companies have leaned on each other's creators (pencilers,inkers,writers,etc) for support on some of their own characters.I've recently gotten back into reading comicbooks (though it's namely just GI Joe and Transformers,I still occassionally have caught up with Marvel and DC characters) and I've noticed many changes that I wouldn't have believed.Grant Morrison (of JLA Fame) has helped revatlize the X-Men by throwing in new twists,making them go 'public',Cassandra Nova,and some real interesting storylines that haven't been done before for such old characters.If I remember correctly,in the late 70's/80's,DC's sales of Superman were down and they wanted to revitalize Big Blue,so who did they get?They got a Marvel stalwart in John Byrne and did the aforementioned "Marvelization" of Superman.At one point,I thought it inconceivable that famed ex-X-Men artist Jim Lee would EVER draw for DC,but lo and behold,he's doing some terrific work on Batman.Both companies have relied on each other's name talent to help bolster their own franchises in numerous ways.As a former comicfan who is now coming back into reading comics,I'm seeing some stuff now that I thought would be impossible a few years ago.

But I will say one thing,at least Marvel and DC are good about getting their titles on the shelves ON TIME.I read a majority of Image comics,and with all their little branches and such filled with lazy creators at times,it's difficult to get your hopes up for something that may end up being two or three weeks late...or may not even come at all cause the creator decides to give up (Battlechasers anyone?).

Lex Luthor with hair?

Lex Luthor didn't have hair in the Superman movie...

I don't know which Superman movie you watched, but he had hair in the first two with Christopher Reeve(I never saw 3 and 4, maybe he was bald in those). Yeah, it was actually a rug that he threw off in one brief moment at the end of the first one, but I can honestly say that it bothered me more than anything in any other comic book movie I've watched. I was just sitting there the whole time I watched the film thinking, "Lex Luthor can't have hair! His baldness is his defining characteristic!" And after the end of the original, I hoped maybe he'd be bald in the second, but nope, the hair returned for the sequel. :x

And even though Gene Hackman is a great actor, I hated him as Lex Luthor. He was just too goofy and slapsticky IMO.

I wouldn't say DC suck's but I think Marvel's better. I like Green Lantern, Batman and Superman of DC. But Marvel has alot more cheracter's I like Wolvie, Hulk, Thor, Spiderman, Cap. America, DareDevil, War Machine etc. And Robbie talk's about DC's movie's vs. Marvel's movie's. I liked Superman's movie's and the first two Batman movie's, but the rest suck b@!!'s. Batman 3 and 4 where little like the real Batman. I still like DC I just wish they'd put half as much effort in their other hero's as they do Superman and Batman, they'd be more DC fan's.

In the Superman movies Lex Luthor was bald in all of them but he wore a wig so most the time he looked to have hair.

Yeah, I know, that's what I meant by "rug." :)

It still really bothered me. Hair is just an important thing to me, I guess...the fact that Norman and Harry didn't have the cool Osborne-style hair in the movie bugged me more than the Power Ranger-style Green Goblin costume. And I hated that Rogue didn't have the white highlights at the beginning of the X-Men movie.

• 10 months later...

To come into an arguement, and shout blanket phrases with nothing to back it up, only limits your arguement, and makes you look a fool......

is DC Better than Marvel, or vice-versa? No.....they have specific differences that cater to different people....

I prefer DC, but I'm not going to say Marvel sucks, because my first favorite Comic Character, Daredevil, is a Marvel character......

to come in with no basis, and no knowledge of the opposite side is also limiting yourself, you say Marvel rules?

well, yeah, Marvel does Rule, and so does DC.......but for different reasons......

let me lay it out in contrast and comparison:

Marvel markets their characters.......they get them out there and in the public eye.....DC just can't seem to do this outside the realm of animation......

DC has more recognizable characters, ask any joe on the street, to name five heroes, and most will rattle off a 3-to-2 ratio in favor of DC (I did a college paper on this)

Marvel bases their characters on internal struggle, both with the balance of power, and their personal lives, and with the public's reaction to them....

DC bases their characters on legacies spanning generations......there is a Robin for each generation, there is a Flash for each generation, and the new generation is on it's way.....

likewise, there are good stories in both universes, if you would've done your research you'd know, that the likes of "Watchmen", and "Dark Knight Returns" are epic-level, and recommended reads for fans of BOTH camps, likewise, if I wanted a good Marvel story, I'd start with the "Ultimate" line, and probably Thunderbolts......

characterwise, I can name the counterparts between universes, so both are pretty similar in scope, and importance of characters, and both have complex characters of differing degrees.......

do I read Marvel? not regularly, but I keep up to date on what's going on in the MU, just so I know what I'm missing......and to help gauge what's going to be hot from month to month......

I find both universes intriguing, and both worth merit, my DC preference is a personal choice, but I don't knock Marvel because of it.....

don't limit yourself to what you know, go outside the barriers, and see what you're missing, you just might find that what you're looking at is better than what you've seen before, and if you don't, at least you gave it a shot.......

Finally, a Hero's strength, and motivation lies in it's villains, the most recognizable of which are definitely Batman's......and while he IS ineffectual at keeping them behind bars (or even in the grave), his rogue's gallery is the one that defines the superhero in this day and age....

few, if any, regular Joes can name more than three Marvel villains, but many can rattle off a slew of Bat-Villians........

I like both universes equally.

I find that DC's books have a more cosmic universal feel while Marvel's books are more grounded in reality.

Guys, this thread was created out of total spam, a joke.

He ran in here just to say "DC sucks", then ran back out.

The funny part now is that there is a serious debate of TWO PAGES about this. @loll@ Now he's laughing his a$$ off.

Just let this die. @good night@

Like its been said before dc is a legacy, marvel is getting there, but dc will always be around, marvel a few years back was close to bankruptcy, and was bought out by toybiz,

but if you think about marvel 12 years ago, was equivalent to dc today, marvel did an excellent job at marketing new talent, like Jim lee, Marc sivestri, combined with great stories (extinction agenda) I am a dc fan all the way, but for about 4 years I only bought one dc comic for every ten marvel comic, the dc stories and art were just lame, in the early 90s everyone KNows marvel was on top, until the Death of superman, and the breaking of the bat, but dc was only on top for about 2 weeks then marvel was back up

I am a dc fan because over the years I realized that Dc has the best of the best, to where marvel is your everyman trying to be a hero, But they are both even as far as Im concerned, even though marvel sells more, Oh well

Marvel rocks

No marvel sucks ass comic wise IMO.....at least DC still puts out "SuperHero" comics. Oh yeah and not to mention the selling out of marvel to hollywood. Changing all of their characters to better suit their movie counterparts........selling out man.

Agreed! If you're going to make a statement like that, at last have the #$!? to back it up without simplying coming out and stating something as stupid as that! If you are talking about things that sucks ManWithoutFear20, the avatar of the Marvel character you are currently using, his movie was a big disappointment, now that sucks! So next time when saying someone sucks, make sure you don't have someone as your avatar that also sucks too!

DC does suck, Marvel seems to respect their fans and consumers,

If they really respected their fans, they wouldn't have pulled all that garbage with Spiderman and the whole clone story. Bringing back Norman Osborn after being dead for over 20 years. That's garbage! That's just a few of the things that they have done injustice to the fans. It was a slap in my face! I use to be a heavy Marvel fan but now only read DC stuff! Currently DC is the top dog with Marvel being second!