My Quick Wave 7 Review

JayC

great pics Jay C.

yeah TFHeadon lady J looks all monked up. they need to fix that quick

Outsiders, you never seen Wave 2 Scarlett before? I didn't know if you were joking or not! :D

Yeah, the Scarlett has always looked like crap:

1. Legs too long, too thick

2. Torso too long, especially apparent from the back, as the . . . ummm . . . "curves" don't flow, if you know what I mean.

3. Arms too long, shoulders too bulky, hands too big.

4. Torso too beefy, with way too huge back and shoulder muscles.

5. Sure the bust line is large, but given the rest of the proportions, they look less like an attractive female bustline, and more like the chest of some sort of gorilla.

6. Boyish looks, horrible hair sculpt.

7. Cool new Crossbow accessory marred by Sound Attack tab.

8. Painted flesh tones as opposed to molded plastic obscures detail of the head sculpt.

9. Anyone ever watch those old Talking Heads videos? The one where David Byrne is in that huge oversized suit?? That's what Scarlett ends up looking like thanks to botched sculpting from people who have apparently never seen a woman's body.

So, that being said, Scarlett does look OK from certain angles in person. And while that may hold true for Lady Jaye as well, the pictures do not look promising . . .

Honestly...IMO the Lady Jaye looks pretty good, except for the unpainted hair of course. My problem is not with the head sculpt, the color of her uniform, or the thighs; my problem is with the big 'ol fat shoulder joints. Just squint a little and see how much better she'd look with smaller shoulders. Otherwise I love this figure. Maybe I'm just a sucker for her double .45(?) automatic pistols. I love figures that come with double pistols like that; like Wild Bill and Shipwreck, even though Shippy has two different pistols. I know it's a silly reason to like a figure, but to me it's fun as all get-out to pose these guys with their pistols drawn and shooting like in all the popular action movies. :roll: :lol: I know...I'm weird. :wink:

Great pics there JayC. Thanks for the review! As if I wasn't already excited about this wave! And I even like Red-Spot and Wide-Scope. I didn't care for them at first glance; maybe it was the whole diaper-crotch thing the protos had going on. But they look great! And now I want 'em bad!

And I just can't wait for the new Destro! He may turn out to very well be my favorite incarnation. Very cool! And I was thinking the cool new repaint of the IGs would match Destro better than the black ones. But now, since seeing how good they go together in these pics, I think the black IGs look great flanking 'ol Destro. (By the way...wouldn't the dude that played Boromir in LOTR and the bad guy in Patriot Games make a great Destro? He has the sophistication and experience with the Scottish (Irish?) accent to pull off Destro in a movie since Destro's Scottish, and evil like the characters this guy always seems to play. (I don't know where that came from. I guess he was fresh on my mind 'cause I watched the end of Goldeneye the other night, and it got me to thinking about what a great villain the guy makes...))

But ANYWAY... :lol:

I'm disappointed to see that Grunt doesn't come with a helmet. It's a cool figure that I don't have since I passed on the tank-thingy he came with originally, but I'd like for him to have a helmet.

And the Kamakura/Night Creeper set may be one of my all-time favorite GvsC two-packs. Can't wait! :)-

P.S. This is off the subject a little, but I was thinking about how cool the new copter looks that comes with the new Wil Bill in black, and how cool it is to think of these small copters that the Joes can just jump on and take off like characters do in Star Wars on speeder bikes. Well I got to thinking about what I'd do if I got several of these and I had all of the extra Wild Bills, and then it hit me; the Wild Bill in black would go perfect in the original black and green NAC!! He'd look so cool even with his helmet on. and to me the only reason he'd have the helmet instead of his hat would be to use night-vision during night-ops. Cool huh! :D

Now I just gotta get an original NAC...and the new Wild Bill/copter... :roll: :lol: :wink:

22566-new_asthanos.gif

Honestly...IMO the Lady Jaye looks pretty good, except for the unpainted hair of course. My problem is not with the head sculpt, the color of her uniform, or the thighs; my problem is with the big 'ol fat shoulder joints. Just squint a little and see how much better she'd look with smaller shoulders. Otherwise I love this figure. Maybe I'm just a sucker for her double .45(?) automatic pistols. I love figures that come with double pistols like that; like Wild Bill and Shipwreck, even though Shippy has two different pistols. I know it's a silly reason to like a figure, but to me it's fun as all get-out to pose these guys with their pistols drawn and shooting like in all the popular action movies. :roll: :lol: I know...I'm weird. :wink:

Surprised they didn't just give Lady J 2 long ponytails and a tigher outfit and called her Lara Croft...

Surprised they didn't just give Lady J 2 long ponytails and a tigher outfit and called her Lara Croft...

LOL! Yeah dude! Hey; didn't you know it's fashionable now for women to carry double automatic .45s? It's IN man! :lol:

Well Lady Jaye is not neon. It is a more yellow green then say Grunt, but no were near neon. Basically the same green as the orginal. As for the head sculpt I think its 10 times better than the orginal. So I don't know what to tell you other than you'll just have to wait and see it for yourself and decide.

Otherwise I love this figure. Maybe I'm just a sucker for her double .45(?) automatic pistols.

It looks like a Desert Eagle. Possibly like the one given to Blackout. The pistol can be chambered in .357, .44 Magnum, and .50 caliber.

That's y I prefer paint flesh over plastic since the dull kamakura and jaye are prototypes that are hand painted and the one out are not painted. I seen both the dull and retail at the con and the painted ones are a lot better.

Painting the flesh tones not only obscures the sculpting detail, but it also allows a huge margin for human error, and that's how you get sloppy paint jobs.

McFarlane Toys was reeeeaaaally bad about the painted flesh tones for a while there, but have since drastically improved.

Hasbro hasn't yet figured out how to do it right, so their painted flesh tones look silly as heck. (ie. Blackout, Zartan, Recondo . . .)

Man...this has to be the first wave a Joes that don't really do anything at all for me :( I usually like the majority of the wave, but the only thing that gets me excited in this wave is Destro's chrome head. I'm sure I'll get them, but it'll be reluctantly...

But ANYWAY...  

I'm disappointed to see that Grunt doesn't come with a helmet. It's a cool figure that I don't have since I passed on the tank-thingy he came with originally, but I'd like for him to have a helmet.  

They didnt even give him a helmet???

I think the Grunt that came with the Battle Blitz or whatever vehicle that was had a helmet---but its the same as the one with sand vipers, so if youre like me you have plenty to spare.

I wish they would have made an original-looking grunt helmet for him tho. Its funny--I was just watching "world without end" yesterday (probly my favorite Old Joe toon) and it had Grunt in it.

One other thing about these in-hand Wave 7 figs:

What happened to the muted colors?

Original Kamakura Pic:

Kama__scaled_500.jpg

Origina Lady Jaye Pic:

LadyJ__scaled_500.jpg

Is the Neon 90's Age upon us again?  Say it ain't so!!

Well i have noticed alot of the Prototypes have a duller color before they are released in actual stores, the final product always has a brighter color :-?

Yeah this Grunt comes with Spy Gear. I didnt show most of that stuff. Just wanted to show the figures themselves. Mixed some of the weapons around to like I usually do. Like I gave Destro's shotgun to Flint.

dull is better! they need more realistic colors! agh!

And grunt needs a helmet! Switch gears helmet in wave 8 might do, too long to wait!

Redspot still sucks. Outback is kinda blah, and if lady jaye's hair painted then the rest of the joes are fine.

I'm still excited but I'll admit the idea of some of the wave 9 stuff is really what i'm thinking about.

Neithertheless, I still like paint flesh over plastic since it gives realism on the toy(rough skin)and the plastic gives a gloss shine. Even if there are errors, it can be touch and I don't care if it takes my time to fix. IMO, I still like flesh paint over plastic since I take my time pickin which mcfarlane figure has the best paint apps.

They didnt put Flint in this wave did they? Seems like ive seen it said like 2 times they did...i sure hope they didnt.

They didnt put Flint in this wave did they? Seems like ive seen it said like 2 times they did...i sure hope they didnt.

No Flint in wave 7. And thank god.....that figure suck monkey balls. Hopefully we'll get a new updated Flint soon.

Draven

Neithertheless, I still like paint flesh over plastic since it gives realism on the toy(rough skin)and the plastic gives a gloss shine.  Even if there are errors, it can be touch and I don't care if it takes my time to fix.  IMO, I still like flesh paint over plastic since I take my time pickin which mcfarlane figure has the best paint apps.

Well, it's just a matter of opinion, I guess, since I disagree that realistic-looking skin is equated with the painting it, since I feel it looks way more fake like that.

The new MOTU figures, for example. He-Man, Tri-Klops, etc. don't have a "gloss shine" on the skin that I can see, and it looks pretty realistic to me, but the Man-At-Arms figures all have painted faces, and it looks just like what it is: blue plastic with flesh colored paint painted on top, and not realistic at all.