JLA vs Avengers

Cmdr_Y

hey all,

any of you out there interested in this upcoming series? for those that don't know, this august or septemember a short mini-series crossover from DC's JLA to Marvel's Avengers will take place. the premise is some sort of dimensional rift opens and our favorite superheroes duke it out. ie Batman and Capt. America fight and so do Superman and Thor.

This type of thing happens from time to time (the crossover), but I've never really picked it up at all before. I'll buy the first issue at least and give it a shot, but probably not much more than that.

Personally, a few years ago, this was my dream crossover. It's really been a long time coming though so I'll still get it.

I do hope that George Perez is working on it, so if anybody out there knows, please LMK.

THANKS

Yeah it's periez.

This started back in their run together (the idea at least.) I really wish that had never ended but I guess busiek was running out of stories and Periz did have those medical problems(after he quit becouse of them he started back again at crossgen...)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it's Perez and Busiek.

Both of them had health problems towards the end of their Avengers run together, though Busiek stayed with the book for over a year after Perez left, working with artists Alan Davis, Kieron Dwyer, and Ivan Reis (I think there was another guy too, on an issue or two, but the name escapes me).

Nothing so far, other than cover art, has indicated the two teams actually do duke it out, and Busiek's familiar enough with the cliche crossover that he may be able to avoid the standard pattern (two teams encounter each other, have misunderstanding, fight, realize they're on the same side, team up to defeat a pairing of villians, return to their own lives, never refer to the incident again).

When work first began on this version of the project, there was talk of doing it in-continuity, within the pages of the Avengers and JLA titles. However, various obstacles, including but not limited to Perez's health, scrapped that idea, moving it over into a mini.

Due to Perez's health, as well as his CrossGen commitments, it was known from early on the project would take quite some time, and be unable to keep up with all of the changes to the rosters of the teams, so time travel of some sort may play a part, in order to help explain some of the inconsistencies in costuming, dead/alive status, and characterization.

I'll be waiting for the trade, rather than the individual issues... unless I hear any rumblings of them not doing a trade.

Issues 1 and 3 are being published by Marvel, under the title JLA/Avengers, while issues 2 and 4 will come from DC, under the title Avengers/JLA. It has yet to be announced who, if anyone, will publish a trade, and under which version of the title. I'm currently guessing that both will release editions of it, sharing the titles used on the issues they published.

Despite the $7.00 cover price per issue, this will likely be the best selling mini series of the year.

I'm sure there will be a trade, probably both Marvel and DC will release their own - each with different additional pages - the Marvel version could include a reprint of Avengers #1, while the DC version could include a reprint of Brave & Bold #28, or bios of the Avengers in the Marvel book, and bios of the JLA in the DC book.

There are countless ways they could do this to get as many of us a possible to buy all 4 issues and both versions on the trade.

I personally hate it when publishers pull gimicks - varriant covers, incentive covers, metallic covers, "Director's Cuts," etc.....

We only ordered 2 copies of the Fantastic Four #500 Director's Cut - and sold 1 - we ordered heavy on the regular version and have sould countless copies. We have more respect for our customers than to push all these gimicks on them - yes if they want to order 25 copies of Transformers #1 we'll throw in the incentive cover, or if they want to buy 50 copies of Batman #612 we'll sell them to them, but come on enough is enough, if you want to speculate in comics then hit the vintage issues that actually have some value.

Anyway back to JLA Avengers - I must say I'm really looking forward to reading this title, been waiting for it for 20 years!

Dave

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I am so stoked for this title! I have never been a really big fan of either team in the past but I have gotten into both teams as of late. Plus, Perez is such an amazing artist that the artwork alone may just be worth the price of each individual issue.

I picked this up yesterday. Pretty good. I liked Busiek's take on how the two different teams reacted to each others universes. And Hawkeye's quip about the Squadron Supreme knockoffs was priceless.

#US1#

i knew that joke was coming, haven't had a chance to go and pick it up, fear it won't be there but what can i do? @cobracommander@

Spoilers ahead!

We so need a one-off to show what happened off panel between Bats and the punisher.

It was a great first issue, but what a cheap shot from thor at the end.

Supes is gonna kick his asgardian ass next issue! @joker@

"We so need a one-off to show what happened off panel between Bats and the punisher.

It was a great first issue, but what a cheap shot from thor at the end.

Supes is gonna kick his asgardian ass next issue!"

I haven't picked it up yet and I don't think I am until the tpb...but what happends between Batman and Punisher and between Thor and Superman? @supes@

What happens is basically when the jla first appear in the marvel universe, batman drills the team on how they musnt interfere in whats happening, They go past dr doom ruling latveria, a wasteland of a once mutant inhabited land and the punisher laying the smack down on some drug dealers. Bats was talking to plastic man and pastic turned his back and bats had gone down to kick the punishers ass.

Then it goes forward in time to after its happened and plastic man is telling him off. The whole bats/punisher fight was off panel.

At the end on the last page, Supes gets up thors ass so to speak and thor lobs his hammer at supes when supes did nothing really.