If the Transformers live action movie comes out, then.....

stanformers

Just pondering. @*-

when and if the new, live action movie is released, with G1 characters, then what will Hasbro do with spin-off products?

Just look at the walls of toys they have for the HULK, Spiderman, Star Wars, Fast and Furious, etc.... you simply can't have a movie these days without spin-off toys. plain and simple.

now of course, hasbro will sell lunch boxes, back packs, posters and other merchandise, but how are they gonna deal with action figure aspect of marketing?

either they'll have to re-re-re-release their G1 toys yet another time or they're gonna have to invest $ to re-tool and manufacture a new line of G1 Transformers.

AND, since this movie will be seen by old fans and young children alike, i'd like to imagine that hasbro would like to do a good job with the toys to broaden their appeal and capture a new and younger audience. that means you can't simply have a pose-able action figure of Optimus Prime.... you need one that is fully capable of transforming, just like the one the kids'll see in the movies.

i guess what i'm suggesting is that there is no way of there being a Transformers movie without us Transfans benefitting in a big way. either there'll be many more re-issues or even better, a new line of G1 toys to collect. :)-

what do you guys think? :roll:

stan

I'm thinking fully Transformable NEW style Ironhide and Ratchet! That's what *I'M* thinkin'!

if they base the movie on G1 like planned, i'm afraid that it'll be difficult to make the toys appeal to a new generation of transfans. i mean, in the 1980's, Datsun 280zxs, Toyota vans and Sony Walkmans were pretty cutting edge. i wanted a 280zx back then pretty badly.

but, we're in the year 2003 now! how are today's kids gonna accept anything other than a Nissan 350Z (for Prowl/Bluestreak), a Porsche Boxster (for Jazz) or a portable MP3 player (for Soundwave) or something "NEW"?

i think that the concept of a G1 movie is great . . . BUT it maybe a bit too old school and may not appeal to today's audience without some serious modifications to characters, their alt-forms and ..... hence, new toys.

what u say?

I'd much rather see the eighties stuff than new stuff concerning the movie. Sucks if you have to be the one to make the decisions on merchandise in that scenario, I guess.

Really though - I see it as a way to not only get the original Transformers in another story but one that is actually centered around the culture of the eighties.

It's that whole nostalgia feel!

yeah I think that the cars in the movie will be all new modern cars but with G1 names and personalities so they will have all new transformations hence new toys that Hasbro can market.

That would be the best choice. This is a modern G1 movie. So that one little clip of the volkswagon transformer .... well color swap him yellow and red and you got Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

Jazz would still be a 911 turbo.

Ratchet and Ironhide probably Dodge Grand Caravans.

Optimus Macktruck

Seeker team the same F14 tomcats.

Ect. Its not to hard to see what the autobots or Decepticons would be. Just look around. Hell Hound could be a Hummer. The possibilities are endless.

if they base the movie on G1 like planned, i'm afraid that it'll be difficult to make the toys appeal to a new generation of transfans.  i mean, in the 1980's, Datsun 280zxs, Toyota vans and Sony Walkmans were pretty cutting edge.  i wanted a 280zx back then pretty badly.

but, we're in the year 2003 now!  how are today's kids gonna accept anything other than a Nissan 350Z (for Prowl/Bluestreak), a Porsche Boxster (for Jazz) or a portable MP3 player (for Soundwave) or something "NEW"?

i think that the concept of a G1 movie is great . . . BUT it maybe a bit too old school and may not appeal to today's audience without some serious modifications to characters, their alt-forms and ..... hence, new toys.

what u say?

you raise a very valid oint

i don't think hasbro really cares about nostalgia or catering to the wants of original G1 fans at all.

they're in it for the money and the only way they'll make money is by capturing the attention of a new generation of fans.

that'll mean new merchandising, more spin-off products and they'll need to update the look of the transformers to make them hip and cool.

bumblebee: new VW bug

hound: hummer

bluestreak: nissan 350z

tracks: C5/C6 corvette

trailbreaker: cad escalade with 24" wheels

ironhide: caravan

jazz: 911 turbo

sideswipe: modena

etc....

I just sort of assumed that they would take the old charicters and give them modern forms, and then make new toys to go with the movie. Only thing that makes sense. And I gaurentee that this would do better than the cartoon movie, which IMO was kinda awful.

I really doubt they will put more reisssues out.. with the way they are shelfwarming now. And they're not really as marketable as they once were. So I vote new stuff. :)

I think as far as shelfwarming goes, it depends on where you are. I haven't been to a TRU in recent times and seen consistant reissues in stock. They fly off the shelves here. I think they're doing pretty well as profits go as I'm sure the reissues will continue for a while from both Takara and Hasbro.

if they base the movie on G1 like planned, i'm afraid that it'll be difficult to make the toys appeal to a new generation of transfans.  i mean, in the 1980's, Datsun 280zxs, Toyota vans and Sony Walkmans were pretty cutting edge.  i wanted a 280zx back then pretty badly.

but, we're in the year 2003 now!  how are today's kids gonna accept anything other than a Nissan 350Z (for Prowl/Bluestreak), a Porsche Boxster (for Jazz) or a portable MP3 player (for Soundwave) or something "NEW"?

what u say?

I believe that kids will by almost any car as long as it has a lot of guns on top and missiles that fire.

I believe that kids will by almost any car as long as it has a lot of guns on top and missiles that fire.

Its a tried and true formula, no doubt about that. I think they will expect more in terms of poseability than we ever did though.

isn't it getting pretty obvious now that Smokescreen and Optimus have been leaked out, that the NEW Transformers movie will be featuring new, Y2K cars and vehicles?

can you say:

Nissan Skyline, 350Z

Mitsubishi Lancer EVO

Toyota Altezza

Honda NSX, s2000

Chevy Corvette

Dodge Viper SRT10

BMW M Roadster?

it's fun speculating what the new toys will be.