Whence Optimus Prime?

SideTracker

Here's a question that I was thinking about: Where did the name Optimus Prime come from? When Hasbro got the license to sell the Diaclone truck, where did the name come from? I mean, Takara gave the character the relatively straightforward name Convoy - a fleet of semi trucks, and a trucker song by C.W. McCall. I'm sure Optimus is probably a variation of "optimize," which according to dictionary.com, means "v 1: Exploit fully; get the maximum use out of. 2: Make optimal; get the most out of; use best." (The term Optimal, of course, has been used in Beast Wars.) Prime has a longer definition: "adj 1: First in rank or degree; "an architect of premier rank"; "the prime minister". 2: Used of the first or originating agent; "prime mover". 3: Of superior grade; "choice wines"; "fine wines" "prime beef"; "prize carnations"; "quality paper"; "select peaches". ....] I also suspect it may have something to do with the Prime Trucking Company, based in Springfield, MO ( www.primeinc.com ), although given the "first in rank" definition, it's more likely to be coincidental. Any ideas?

And what about Megatron? Thats actually a number or something isnt it?

It was one of the option for a question on Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire, on the episode where the bloke cheated and won the million

I remember one of the other answers was googol, but cant remember the question

Actually there's no such thing as speaking "African". It's like saying I speak, "Asian" or "European".  :wink:

Actually I know that :) I just didnt know any real African languages and the ones I do know, I cant spell.

And what about Megatron? Thats actually a number or something isnt it?

It was one of the option for a question on Who Wants To Be A Millionnaire, on the episode where the bloke cheated and won the million

I remember one of the other answers was googol, but cant remember the question

According to the Transformers: New Order graphic novel, Bob Budianski talks about naming some of the original line in the introduction (The TF's and the comics were originally a joint project between Marvel and Hasbro). He mentions that some already had names (Probably Optimus) Anyway, he begins to discuss where MEGATRON came from. He writes that when he presented the name MEGATRON to Hasbro, they didn't approve it at first because it reminded them of the word "megaton" similar to terminology used in nuclear bombs. Budianski explains that this is the reason that he chose it in the first place, because it is "scary"! After his persistence, Hasbro relented and allowed him use of the name. It probably safe to assume that Budianski is responsible for a majority of the names of early G1 characters. I'll tell you what thought, while the names are okay, but as I reread the early issues (#'s1-12) I can't help but laugh at how corny they are. And to just think that I used to read these issues over and over again as a kid! Crazy stuff!