Can the Lakers be beat next season?

hamsterboy

well, on paper they are definitely the best starting 5 in the league. However, it will be a totally new team chemistry.. and it might not work.

Also, Karl Malone and Gary Payton have ALWAYS been the best players on their teams.. now they will have to come to a team with 2 of the most dominant players in the leage.. so there will not be as much room for them to shine..

even with 4 future hall of famers, there is still only so many shots to go around.

But I'll admit, it does look bad for my Kings.. who are strapped for cash and can't do anything.. On the other hand, it will be another year of them all being together, just getting better than they were last year. But I really wish they would have done a trade to get jason Kidd

It'll be very, very tough now.

About this chemistry garbage: Gary Payton is taking less money, Karl Malone is taking less money. If they didn't want to be role players, they would go somewhere else and get more money. Simple. I can't see either of them taking less money and then bitching about not getting the ball late in the season, and it's pretty obvious that Karl Malone wants his championship. But then again, if Shaq shows up weighing 600 lbs and Kobe gets a year in jail, the Lakers could be looking at some tough times ahead . . .

It'll be very, very tough now.  

About this chemistry garbage:  Gary Payton is taking less money, Karl Malone is taking less money.  If they didn't want to be role players, they would go somewhere else and get more money.  Simple.  I can't see either of them taking less money and then bitching about not getting the ball late in the season, and it's pretty obvious that Karl Malone wants his championship.  But then again, if Shaq shows up weighing 600 lbs and Kobe gets a year in jail, the Lakers could be looking at some tough times ahead . . .

nah, I didn't mean chemistry as in them getting along.. I meant chemistry as in adding 2 new guys into the starting lineup..... meaning there could be a problem with this squad of people that havne't played together, and have different styles.. you don't just jump onto a new team and fit right in the scheme of things.. so that could be a problem, not the players attitudes... although I can see either Kobe or Shaq bitching that the new guys are taking their shots away, but not Malone or Payton complaining

The league might as well just give The Lakers the trophy now. Its gonna be so sad for the NBA. I think they could even break the record of wins in a season set by the Bulls.

The league might as well just give The Lakers the trophy now. Its gonna be so sad for the NBA. I think they could even break the record of wins in a season set by the Bulls.

thats not gonna happen, and probably never will again.. you guys are overrating them.. if they stuck together next year, they might be great.. but none of these players is used to playing second fiddle.. let alone 4th!

it doesn't sound like a big deal to most people that have never played serious ball, but if you ask a guy to change his style completely, which is what all 4 of them will have to do, then they aren't going to be the same players.

When Karl Malon scores 25 points a game, its because he took 20 shots... and that is not going to happen on the lakers, not even close.. he will probably average about 12 points.. and Gary Payton will not be as good either..

its like if you made Kobe go onto another team where he would only be the 3rd option.. Right now Kobe takes about 35 shots a game to get his 30 points.. so if he only got about 10-15 shots a game, he wouldn't even be an all-star.. you have to look at things that way too, not just the way they look on paper..

haven't you ever seen an average player move to a lesser team and become a superstar??? it works the other way too

Okay I'll explain my one word reply:

Lakers have put themselves into the position as the team to beat by putting together their desparate-make-shift-quick-fix-team, in my opinion this makes it more definite that someone OTHER than them will take the title. Remember there are a lot of hungry teams who are not about to bow down to the Lakers. They want the ring just as bad. Seeing all star players being bought at wholesale prices cause they 'think' it will buy them a ring will only make hungry teams even more focused and more determined to crush any chance of a Laker comeback.

Every team they face this season will mentally understand that they need to learn to play above their average level of skill, above their average level of teamwork and chemistry to play the Lakers. And they have all season to do this. It will only make good teams better and come the playoffs, those teams will be there. NOTE: I'm not talking about the teams that will roll over and die at the sight of purple and gold.

But we'll see what happens come this fall, eh 8)

Only way they will win this yr is if they can keep all their ego's in check and work together as a team. Malone and Payton are going to have to turn into role players. It should be interesting to see that's for sure, but if anybody can get them together Phil can.

Also Shaq and Kobe are going to have to settle for scoring less, if not can they keep scoring their avg's and keep everybody on the team happy at the same time??? I wonder?

their biggest problems will not be Malone or Payton.. those guys have already made the sacrifice to come over.. it will be Shaq and Kobe, two of the league's most selfish players and people..

here is how it will be day one:

Shaq: "lister here Malone, I only want you to take 5 shots a game... thats what the other power forward used to do"

Kobe: "And Gary, just make sure you give me the ball and don't do anything that looks too good.. I don't want you to be taking away my highlights on Sportscenter... but if you pass me the ball and I do a nice dunk, you might get to be on the highlight with me"

The Lakers are so good right now that Kobe and Shaq could sit on the bench to take a breather while The Mailman, and The Glove take over.

I don't think so.. they weren't very good last year.. and they were supposed to be.. so I think people are overrating them...

it really depends on if Shaq decides to get his fatass in shape this season

• 3 weeks later...

Any team can be beat on any given day and the Lakers, while improving, have some questions:

1. The whole Kobe court case could be a distraction for the team and Kobe.

2. Karl Malone is old and while he's still a solid player, he's not the same guy he once was and can't win a game singlehandedly. Same thing for Payton although to a lesser degree.

3. Shaq's fitness is the key. If Shaq is in shape, they'll be good - if he's not, forget about it....

4. The Lakers weren't the only team that improved. San Antonio got deepr, KIngs should be better with a full healthy squad and Brad Miller, plus Minny finally got KG some better talent around him. Plus, the Nets look great too :)

The Lakers will and should be the favorites, but they're not unbeatable though

They're gonna get beat when Kobe gets put in jail for 3-5 years.

Even with Kobe, their team looks like this:

Center: Shaq

Power Forward: Karl Malone

Small Forward: Rick Fox

Off Guard: Kobe Bryant

Point Guard: Gary Payton

Backups: Derek Fisher, Devean George, Horace Grant, Brian Cook, Jannero Pargo, Luke Walton, Kareem Rush

Derek Fisher is an ok point and a backup, but to be honest, he's been putting up inflated numbers for the last few years due to Shaq and Kobe kicking it out of a double team. The rest of that backup squad still looks pretty weak to me.

I still say the Spurs will knock them out again next year.