Top 5 Intros

Maeglin

Important!: Must be instrumental! Not vocals! Ex, NO Carry on Wayward Son, Bohemian Rhapsody, etc.

In no particular order:

Sweet Child O' Mine - GNR

All Along the Watch Tower - Jimi Hendrix

Cryin' - Aerosmith

Play With Me - Extreme

Thunderstruck - AC/DC

Great thread!

In a particular order. ;):D

1) Metallica - "Nothing Else Matters"

2) Metallica - "One"

3) Jimi Hendrix - "Hey, Joe"

4) Jimi Hendrix - "Little Wing"

5) Pearl Jam - "Yellow Ledbetter"

By my list, you would think that I'm a hardcore Metallica and Jimi fan...I'm not. I just have a lot of respect for their writing abilities, and recognize true talent and artistic ability when I see it. ;) I also enjoy their music. :D

great topic! this is gonna be tough, lets see.....

1. Enter Sandman - Metallica

2.Vodoo child -Jimi Hendrix

3.Thunderstruck-ac/dc

4.lets get crazy- Prince

5.more human than human- White Zombie

and it was tough not to put 'Pretend we're dead' by L7. :fire:

2.Vodoo child -Jimi Hendrix

Man...I totally forgot about "Voodoo Child!" That would probably be in my top 5 too, but I don't know at which spot...

Okay... so far I thought of one. ;)

-"Song for America" by Kansas

It's a 3 minute long intro to a 9 minute song... and oh man, that song is so good. Especially if you take music theory!! :D All the modulations and time signature changes are so freaking awesome. ^_^

So as soon as I think of some more I'll be back... gah!! I hate narrowing things down like this... :lol:

Especially if you take music theory!! :D All the modulations and time signature changes are so freaking awesome. ^_^

Don't think I'm a wierdo for saying this, Samus, but I wish there were a lot more women in the world like you. Especially single ones where I live. :wink: You're intelligent, up to date on world events, you seem like a very strong conservative, you enjoy toys and 80's related nastalagia, and you appreciate music theory. :o

Along the lines of your above comment, this is why I love Soundgarden. Chris Cornell uses all kinds of strange time signatures in his music. "Outshined" is wrote in 7/8 timing in the verses...very unusual time signature. "Rhinosaur" is wrote in 3/4 timing (which is generally considered a waltz :lol: ), but is sounds like a hard rock song. Anyways...I'm babbling. :lol:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The man who marries you is gonna be very lucky. :D

I'm glad everyone likes this thread! Though do you think maybe it should go up to 10 songs? Heavens knows I have 5 more that are itching to go up . . .

It's a 3 minute long intro to a 9 minute song... and oh man, that song is so good.  Especially if you take music theory!! :D All the modulations and time signature changes are so freaking awesome. ^_^

Wow, I'm surprised to see this! I might be the only one hear who knows what the song sounds like! Yeah, its a great intro! Very uplifting, but the song is 10 minutes long, not 9 @-@ . Kansas was and is a great band for incorporating lots of different styles into their music.

Here are my favorite five intros (in no particular order):

"Guyana, Cult of the Damned" - Manowar

"Mr. Crowley" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Crazy Train" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Believer" - Ozzy Osbourne

"Dirty Black Summer" - Danzig

It's a 3 minute long intro to a 9 minute song... and oh man, that song is so good.  Especially if you take music theory!! :D All the modulations and time signature changes are so freaking awesome. ^_^

Wow, I'm surprised to see this! I might be the only one hear who knows what the song sounds like! Yeah, its a great intro! Very uplifting, but the song is 10 minutes long, not 9 @-@ . Kansas was and is a great band for incorporating lots of different styles into their music.

Hee hee, well... it depends on which version of the song you're listening to, I reckon. ;) The studio version is just over 9 minutes while the live cuts are longer. ;) Any way you put it, it's an awesome song, though. It's so refreshing to know that someone else has heard and appreciated it! ^_^

Don't think I'm a wierdo for saying this, Samus, but I wish there were a lot more women in the world like you. Especially single ones where I live.  You're intelligent, up to date on world events, you seem like a very strong conservative, you enjoy toys and 80's related nastalagia, and you appreciate music theory.  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: The man who marries you is gonna be very lucky.

Uh...wow! :oops: That's just about the nicest compliment you can give someone, Darthjoe... and I don't know if I'm worthy! :oops: I don't really know what to say to that except... thanks!! teehee2.gif:)

Along the lines of your above comment, this is why I love Soundgarden. Chris Cornell uses all kinds of strange time signatures in his music. "Outshined" is wrote in 7/8 timing in the verses...very unusual time signature. "Rhinosaur" is wrote in 3/4 timing (which is generally considered a waltz  ), but is sounds like a hard rock song. Anyways...I'm babbling.

Really now! Well, I hate to admit this, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to relatively recent music... like most bands in the past decade or so. :oops: I know I've heard of Soundgarden, but what genre are they exactly again? :oops: If you say the music theory is interesting, then I'd be willing to give them a listen! :) If you could give me a couple good songs to try first, I'd appreciate it! :) And, in return, if you like classic rock with lots of nice little funky twists (that a music theory guy could appreciate ;)) then I'd recommend the band Kansas. ^_^

enter sandman-metallica

one-metallica

outshined-soundgarden

sweet child o mine-GnR

voodoo child-hendrix

sweet home alibama-lynard skynard

teen spirit-nirvana

heart shaped box-nirvana

unforgiven-metallica

And, in return, if you like classic rock with lots of nice little funky twists (that a music theory guy could appreciate ;)) then I'd recommend the band Kansas. ^_^

I'll second that recommendation. There's alot more to them than Carry On Wayward Son and Dust in the Wind. Death of Mother Nature Suite, for example, will blow your mind.

Really now! Well, I hate to admit this, but I'm not too savvy when it comes to relatively recent music... like most bands in the past decade or so. :oops: I know I've heard of Soundgarden, but what genre are they exactly again?

They were part of the early nineties grunge era...along with Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains. However, I would say they are probably the most talented band of the major players during that time. From what I've gathered here on the Music forum...they may not be your style, but I've been wrong before. :wink:

If you say the music theory is interesting, then I'd be willing to give them a listen! :) If you could give me a couple good songs to try first, I'd appreciate it! :) And, in return, if you like classic rock with lots of nice little funky twists (that a music theory guy could appreciate ;)) then I'd recommend the band Kansas. ^_^

Hmmm...this is difficult. There's a lot of good songs to recommend, but I'm very biased when it comes to Soundgarden, so I'm gonna try to recommend some songs that I think you could enjoy:

1) "Burden In My Hand" - This was the song that really got me hooked on SG. Cornell (lead singer/guitarist/song writer) tuned the guitars to open "C" tuning for this song...which gives it the full/bright sound. There is so much going on in this song guitarwise, you'll have to hear it for yourself...me trying to explain it, will do the song no justice. If you don't download any of the other songs I recommend here...download this one. I'm sure you'll like it.

2) "Outshined" - One of SG's older, more popular songs. Their older stuff was harder than their newer albums...however, this is an enjoyable "hard." This was one of the songs I mentioned above. The verses are wrote in 7/8 timing, and switch to 4/4 (I think...I'd have to listen to it again) in the choruses. The guitar parts themselves are relatively straight forward, but still an all around cool song with a wierd time signature.

3) "Zero Chance" - Most people here, except for Iceman, probably won't recognize this song...wasn't ever released as a single, but this is one of my favorite songs off of their album "Down on the Upside." Very slow and mellow...and has some beautiful guitar work and lyrics.

Here's a couple more that you may recognize if you hear them:

4) "Fell On Black Days"

5) "Black Hole Sun"

6) "Sweet Sunshower" - This was not Soundgarden, but is a solo project by Chris Cornell (lead singer/guitarist/songwriter for SG) for the "Great Expectations" soundtrack. This is a beautiful song, which I highly recommend.

Here's a quick discography (I'm gonna start with Badmotorfinger, since their older albums like "Loud Love" weren't very popular):

1) Badmotorfinger: Quite a bit harder than the other albums I'm gonna list here...but still a great SG album.

2) Superunknown: This was SG's real breakthrough album...they also won a grammy for "Best Metal Performance" for either "Black Hole Sun" or "Spoonman" off of this album...can't remember which song it was though. :-? haha

3) Down On The Upside: I know some of the older SG fans didn't really like this album, because it was too mellow, but I love it. They were at their peak as a band when they released it...and Cornell was at his peak as a writer, but sadly this was the last SG album we ever got. :cry:

4) A-Sides: Kinda like a "greatest hits" album...with one song that was never previously released.

5) Euphoria Morning: This was Chris Cornell's solo album. EM can't really be classified under any particular genre of music. There is everything from pop rock, to jazz, to blues, to folk sounding music on this album. This album took awhile to grow on me, but after it did, I recognized the musical genius that Cornell really is. He has a voice that is capable of singing any type of music...not to mention he is capable of writing anything he puts his mind to.

6) Audioslave: Recently, Cornell teamed up with the band from Rage Against The Machine, and they released an album together. Very popular right now...if you listen to any modern rock radio stations, you've probably heard "Cochise" or "Like A Stone."

Oh yeah...almost forgot about this part of your post:

And, in return, if you like classic rock with lots of nice little funky twists (that a music theory guy could appreciate ;)) then I'd recommend the band Kansas. ^_^

I love any kind of music. I listen to everything from Country to Metal. The only exception is Jazz...I don't like it. :lol:

Most of the classic rock I listen to is Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Pink Floyd, The Doors, and The Eagles. Maeglin kinda hit the nail on the head with his comment about "Dust In The Wind" and "Carry On Wayward Son"...those are the only songs that I really recognize as Kansas songs. I'm sure I've heard more, but didn't realize they were by Kansas. Recommend away! :D

darth, I'm insulted. of couse I know of zero chance. you never remember me as a big fan :(  :wink:

Oops! :oops: My bad...I remember now...I think Maeglin said he was a SG fan too, now that I think of it. :wink: :D

Yup. I used to watch the video for Black Hole Sun all the time. That video was soooo cool.

Since you've recommended to me some SG songs, I'll give you a few more Kansas:

Wheels - slow and bluesy, and, as always, great lyrics.

On the Other Side - great guitar riffs and licks.

Icarus (Borne on Wings of Stell) - not the song I put for the ADC music club :wink: . This has always been one of my favourites.

and another you've probably heard on the radio:

Point of Know Return

Yup. I used to watch the video for Black Hole Sun all the time. That video was soooo cool.

Since you've recommended to me some SG songs, I'll give you a few more Kansas:

Wheels - slow and bluesy, and, as always, great lyrics.

On the Other Side - great guitar riffs and licks.

Icarus (Borne on Wings of Stell) - not the song I put for the ADC music club :wink: . This has always been one of my favourites.

and another you've probably heard on the radio:

Point of Know Return

Hey Maeglin! While you're in "Kansas" mode, care to recommend an album or two? ;) I have a greatest hits collection and one of their live recordings, but I'd really like to get a good studio album. Any suggestions off the top of your head? I know you listen to them a lot. ;) 8)

Hey Maeglin! While you're in "Kansas" mode' date=' care to recommend an album or two? ;) I have a greatest hits collection and one of their live recordings, but I'd really like to get a good studio album. Any suggestions off the top of your head? I know you listen to them a lot. ;) 8)[/quote']

Sure. Though go Kazaa to preview them, just in case they're not your style.

Somewhere to Elsewhere

Masque

Monolith

Leftoverture

and if you don't feel like getting a bunch of albums, Kansas's 2 CD boxed set is full of their hits.