Hi-Res Pic of the insode of the Cobra Moutain Playset

JayC

Its not that I hate it, but its a freaking Star Wars toy plain and simple. I think its really lazy bastard of Hasbro to through this are way. I will not be buying it!

Draven

Well that Star Wars reject you refer to is actually a pretty cool Star Wars playset and seemed to sell somewhat decently.

G.I.Joe fans are being given a "hand-me-down" playset, for their first entree' of the JvC era. That's what makes it so "insulting" on top of it's Un-G.I.Joe-like appearance.

Like I said this is no Terror Drome an who knows if we will ever see that kind of quaity playset again but I do say its better than cardboard and the fact that Hasbro is making some effort to bring playsets back brings me some hope that eventually we could see Terror Drome quality playsets or at the very least a re-issue of the Terror Drome.

Everything that has come out since the "cardboard" has been better than the "cardboard" :lol: well...almost! I would still think that in 2003 and in the ongoing saga of ARAH, even as JvC, Hasbro could up the standard just a wee bit higher for us. I have no illusions of seeing it at a peak like what the 80's brought us, nor ever seeing something to the likes of a Terrordrome reissued, or a NEW playset as wonderfully done as the TD, but I don't think getting an old used SW mold with modifications, should be an accepted subsitute, that's maybe just to test the waters before they put some effort into it.

I also say this can and may appeal to kids, and that is the key to having this line grow in size and hopefuly  quality.

Well, no offense to you Jay, but that story has been going around since wave 1, and while i agree about the importance of it getting the attention of the kids (as most "toys" are suppose to) I don't see the numbers to backup the notion that the kids are supporting the line over the whiney-butt old fart collectors who won't give up! :wink:

Adults make toys. Crazy, wild, fun-loving, youthful in heart and mind, wonderful adults! Some real boring stick-in-the-muds are popping out a lot of this stuff anymore, and it's more of a shot in the dark, than any REAL child-like imagination, that's driving the ideas behind the toys.

Despite whoever ends up liking the toys and for whatever reasons they do so, the G.I.Joe brand of toys should ALWAYS have that feel to it, that it's made with the young little boy who doesn't want to feel quite like he's playing with "dolls" but a REAL action MAN, all-American Hero and one helluva STUD fighting MAN! 8) That concept is getting lost on fruffy, silly themes and gimmicks and sissy color schemes.

It's suppose to be a young mans toy! Cars, trucks, guns & G.I.JOE! :)-

Okay..I feel better now! :oops: wild rant over

I hope, even despite my disdain for yet ANOTHER attempt at a vehicle or playset, that you're right on the Mountain set, and the kids eat it up, but I'm expressing some serious doubt. :(

Well that Star Wars reject you refer to is actually a pretty cool Star Wars playset and seemed to sell somewhat decently. Like I said this is no Terror Drome an who knows if we will ever see that kind of quaity playset again but I do say its better than cardboard .

And a kick in the groin is in theory better than getting hit in the head with a ballpeen hammer repeatedly. But that really doesnt entice me to get in line and pay for one.

Is a solid plastic set better than a carboard one? Well duh. But that first set was at the very very first of the line and everyone knows the TRUE selling point was the figures with it. The set was meant to be more of an accessory than any sort of true playset. But that was made *TWENTY YEARS AGO*. What's Cobra Molehill's excuse for being unimpressive after two decades of toy technological increses. I dont care if Cobra Molehill IS the first playset, it's a serious step DOWNWARD in evolution compared to the recent GI Joe HQ released a year ago, which in every way dances circles around it. (Even in its ORIGINAL colors)

Just because its the first is no excuse to slack off. The fact is it ISNT their first playset. They have a rich history of playsets to draw experience from. If Hasbro was rank amatures and just getting into playset design then something like this would be understandable. "Playsets will improve in quality if this sells" is a cop-out. The fact is that with 20 years of trial and error to draw on, it shouldnt HAVE to improve. At the very freakin' LEAST we shouldnt have missles and guns in bright canary yellow., and a simple paint wash on the outer wall would go a long way to making it look more realistic and rocky looking.

Being aimed for children is no reason to make it look CHILDISH. RAH was meant for kids too and at least most of the playsets were treated with some sort of dignity. Should EVERYTHING be exactly like the Terrordrome? No. But you can reduce the whistles and bells and STILL have a nice, solid product kids will enjoy without it looking like something kiddie from Fischer-Price

Reactions from my Kids.

My 8 year old:

Where is the rest of it daddy.

My 5 year old

James up the street has one of those but it's a differnt color.

My 10 month old

Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba BAAAAAA.

I think playsets will improve in COMPLEXITY if this sells.

Its pretty clear to me, the set is a timid step back into the playset market.

Hasbro is clearly testing the waters again to see if playset are in deed in demand for the line, like vehicles.

Its pretty clear from the scuttlebutt on boards like these, that the GIJOE line IS selling, but its NOT selling in numbers anywhere near those in the 80's. The right demographic is being reach, by all accounts, but not the numbers to justify whole-hog approaches to the line.

Making a set like this is a easy way to see if playsets will sell again--its easy because there's no R&D for a new design--its all off the shelf. Using a Star Wars set is clever, like using a Jonny Quest vehicle, but clever in this case is not enough.

The set is bland and too simple. Its a pretty simple shell with some tacked-on items and to my eye, it needs more stuff. Populated with figures, it will look like what it is.........a wall with a elevator and chair on top. that's it.

The GIJOE HQ released previously has one thing better going for it.........dimension. It has parts that go in more than width and height--there's depth too. There's elevated structure with see-through areas--this is a intergral part of the appeal of good playsets. Visual depth, visual interest, and play areas comprise something a kid can get into.

In every other playset there is an activity that takes place--what HAPPENS at Cobra Mountain?? What's its reason for being???

All we have is a throne, a door and some weapon stations..........

I posted on another forum that this set needs more--consoles or computer gear, or some kind of additional play material to enhance the function of the thing.

Right now its like creating a brick wall playset for GIJOE---there's not much fun in something like that.

Still , I might buy one anyway if the price is right just to see what I can do with it.

--Ken

Well, I also think that most of the guys here are adults and grown up w/ RAH so they're be bias towards RAH and think most of GVC stuff is garbage. No point in arguing with them about this playset I wouldn't be shock if the company use the bat cave as an add on for this playset. I agree that this playset is not cool for someone as old as us even though it is from a different line(but this is not for us). The base is half baked and IMO looks like one of those bases that Hasbro would make. Like most playsets, it seems rush; it has missles and chairs (a lot of playsets are that small with a bunch of guns and stuff added in odd places. This base is like one of those tmnt playsets). I never really like playsets since they are tiny and look out of portion. I may not get it since I do not like bases that look unrealistic, but I think it's alright for the younger gi fans.

BTW I prefer the first RAH cardboard base since it looks real

I for one don't feel that my dislike for this item comes from the internet, or RAH, or anything...

There are a ton of RAH figures I hate. I didn't buy them. I won't buy Transformers Armada, even now. If something genuinely sucks IMO, it's not given a second chance.

Seriously, I know people like to complain about JvC, but I feel I give my fair share of praise concerning the line! I love it! But this wreck of a playset is well beyond my tolerance.

Tom

I for one don't feel that my dislike for this item comes from the internet, or RAH, or anything...  

There are a ton of RAH figures I hate. I didn't buy them.  

Tom

Ditto. I don't like it because I don't like it, plain and simple.

Here's to hoping the kids and adults that do like it buy enough for the rest of us. :-?

Reactions from my Kids.

My 10 month old  

Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba BAAAAAA.

Ba ba... ba ba ba ba. baaaaa. It speaks volumes about how this set may be interpreted by the younger fan base. Talk amongst yourselves. :lol:

But seriously, I imagine this... thing... may sell! Mainly because I've lost faith in kids today - and it's that lack of faith that makes me feel we'll get a better playset someday!

Tom

PS: Let's get stupid:

:)-11245-24668915tzTKQKpcXY_ph_copy.jpg

Well first let me state Im not saying you should run out and buy this. My point is though it doesn't knock me off my feet, I don't find anything terrible about it. Does the fact that Hasbro tried to keep costs down and used parts from a Star Wars playset bother me. Not really. Maybe thats because Im a Star Wars collector to, don't know. Would it be better if they carved a big Cobra symbol on the doors, hell yes (in fact I think Im the first one here to say that). Does it have play value for kids? I think so. Is a kid really gonna look at it and say, were is the rest of it? I really doubt it unless you are a really cool parent and went out and bought him a Terror Drome to compare it with. You guys say you aren't comparing the two but I don't think you are really being honest with yourselves when you say that. Its almost impossible not to compare.

Again Im not telling you tol buy it or even like it. In fact many of us have been spoiled by RAH and thats never gonna change. What I am tring to point out is before you start calling Hasbro, the line and everything else names, try and look at it from both sides.

Its no myth. For a company, especially one the size of Hasbro and Mattel to consider a line like this a success, it has to sell to kids. We collectors just don't make up enough of the demographics to be the only ones a toy company caters to. That doesn't mean they don't listen to us but it does mean we are not the end all be all. Both large and small companies have told me how important kids are to a success of a line. Its hard to see sometimes since basically all that we see here are the collectors but kids still make up a huge portion of these companies consumers, or at least the parents buying the toys for their kids. So try and honestly keep that in mind. You don't have to like the gimmicks but at least try and understand why they are there.

Im sure I come off sometimes tring to make excusses for the companies but in running this site I get the chance to see things from both sides and believe me I spend alot of time chatting with the companies tring to express the collector side of it to them to. Anyway basically I am just tring to show you that even if you don't like this particular playset and choose to save your money for something else look at the positive side and see that this playset is a possible sign of better things to come.

I don't think it is really fair to compare the Cobra mountain to the Cardboard Cobra HQ. Well I guess you can. But you have to think, at the time when the Cardboard HQ came out, Cardboard was an acceptable playset. Kenner started it all with the 3 3/4 inch figure line, so Hasbro was trying to get a piece of Kenners pie. Kenner proved figures were successful, They proved vehicles for the figures were successful, and for a few years they proved Cardboard playsets were acceptable. I had a couple myself. At that day and age, that was the norm. Cardboard Cobra HQ was up to quality standards for its time. when compared to the cantina playset, or the Empire strikes back thingie with the cardboard backdrop, (Hoth Playset??)...... However lets fast forward to 2003 here, We have seen amazing things happen in the mid to late eighties... We got a 7 foot aircraft carrier with working mic, all kinds of neat goodies inside like chairs and computers, and ladders. Then a Terrordrome, Wow, How awesome. And other great playsets have been released in other lines as well through the nineties and up until today. So the problem with "Cobra Island" is it is not up to snuff with todays market. We *KNOW* Hasbro can do better. We didn't know any better back in the days of cardboard.

This island is a joke as well as most JvC stuff. I mean really. I still to this day am baffled and amazed that people would rather go to a store and spend 30 bucks on a NAC then hit ebay and spend 30 bucks on an original dragon fly, or maybe 5-10 bucks more on a great condition Tomahawk. Wow the tomahawk, now THAT was a copter.

Why are people buying this trash when for fairly competitive prices you can get good condition, vintage playsets, that are made with detail and quality? Maybe its just they 'instant' gratification of going to the store and coming home that day with a toy.... I do miss that, Good thing there are new He-man figs for me to hunt. :)

I guess I just wont ever get it heh.

Phanstar

Does it have play value for kids? I think so.  

Speaking for myself, and myself only, I can say that's it doesn't have enough play value to warrant $60 bucks (for me). And I think most people here are speaking for themselves when they say they do and don't like something. So the comments here should be taken as such.

So as far as this thing goes, no thanks.

I can't see this line through kids' eyes, nor will I try to. I can only see it through my own. I don't want to litter my posts with a bunch of "IMO", or "no good for me, but great for the kid's if they like'em". I find that pointless, even though I do do it sometimes. But having those "extra" comments in every post, much less the same thread, would seem... to me... terribly redundant.

You guys say you aren't comparing the two but I don't think you are really being honest with yourselves when you say that. Its almost impossible not to compare.

I can. Really, I can. I have never owned, nor have I have seen a Terror Drome. I have only seen pics and hear the tales fans tell. But truth betold, I don't see how one could compare the TD with the Cobra Mountain Playset anyway (other than the fact that they belong to Cobra) since one is a fully enclosed HQ (the TD), while the other is not... it's just one side of a base. So since that is the case, I personally consider them in separate categories.

The Cobra Mountain Playset could be compared to the Joe HQ, as it is too, a one-sided playset. But honestly, I don't like playset of that type anyway... whether RAH... RAHC... or JvC. (I prefer enclosed HQ's like the MCC... and I guess the TD. :) )

But, just looking at it by itself doesn't impress me much.

What I am tring to point out is before you start calling Hasbro, the line and everything else names, try and look at it from both sides.

Its no myth. For a company, especially one the size of Hasbro and Mattel to consider a line like this a success, it has to sell to kids. We collectors just don't make up enough of the demographics to be the only ones a toy company caters to. That doesn't mean they don't listen to us but it does mean we are not the end all be all. Both large and small companies have told me how important kids are to a success of a line.

The argument here would be, that even though kids are the majority here (not here in the forums, but the fan base for GI Joe - and the fan base can't be that lopsided), they can still make the figures, vehicles and playsets something more spectacular... better than what we've seen and what we will see. That the line can be for kids, yet the designs can still be sophisticated enough for adults.

There is merit to this argument.

The line between kids and adults can be that thick.

Its hard to see sometimes since basically all that we see here are the collectors...

Well, it shouldn't be that big a surprise that all you'll get is opinions and point of views from adults and the like. Your audience (here) is adults, and you'll get opinions from them.

Anyway basically I am just tring to show you that even if you don't like this particular playset and choose to save your money for something else look at the positive side and see that this playset is a possible sign of better things to come.

God willling.... let's hope the next one is better.

Moving on....

It's clear (or it seems to be) that Hasbro is testing the waters with the Cobra Mountain Playset. That this playset will gauge how likely we'll see another one in the future. If that is the case, we might be in trouble.

I mean, how many kids will want this thing anyway? On top of that, how many parents will want to shell out the $60 bucks for it? Add to the fact that alot of collectors might not be all that hip to it... and it might not bod too well for future playsets.

Hopefully, this speculation is just part of my cynical nature, and that alot of kids (and adults) will really... really love it. Because they're gonna have to pick up the slack for everyone else who doesn't want one.

Here's to hoping...

'Cause I'm not one to burn money just to "support the line". Sorry.

Well I think you all are over reacting a bit. Yeah its no terror drome but if we are going to compare this to the ARAH line then lets really compare. The first Cobra type base was a peice of cardboard

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/82/cobrahq/

So if we are going to compare the first Cobra JvC playset to the first ARAH Cobra playset I think the JvC one will win.  

But hey a cardboard cuttout eventually led to a Terror Drome so who knows what the Moutain playset will lead to. I also think kids will enjoy this one more than cardboard.

i think Toiletmonkey said it best, they could atleast given us an exclusive figure or even a figure that hasn't been made already twice. atleast the RAH cobra playset came with an iron face CC, a cobra officer and a cobra soldier. 3 awesome figures came with that playset but with the JVC HQ we get shipwreck for the third time :roll: and why the hell is an HQ spytroop anyways?!?! :-? i see a joe and a cobra flag on the pole so let me see if i can figure this out....the joes decide to have shipwreck dress like CC, create a base and than trick the cobra troops to coming there, right? :lol: so realy this isn't a cobra base, it's realy a joe base in disguise! :o we've all been fooled!! 8)

now let me talk about the throne, i read Doc Evil say he liked the throne but i didn't see one at first. but silly me, i should have guessed it was behind a freakin' rocket launcher! :lol: why in G's name would they put the throne right behind a weapon that's most likely gonna be the first thing the joes hit to take out the defenses? :roll: and aren't missles highly explosive?? even as a kid when i blew something up i knew that anything around it was also destryoed, this HQ is just ##$%$#ed, right down to the "NO STEP" sign.

BTW VH, i'd rather buy this for cobra, hell, it actualy looks more fun! :lol:

20941-B000059GW2.16

but silly me, i should have guessed it was behind a freakin' rocket launcher!  :lol: why in G's name would they put the throne right behind a weapon that's most likely gonna be the first thing the joes hit to take out the defenses? :roll: and aren't missles highly explosive??

You know, I thought the exact same thing. Lovely, isn't it?

Oh yea, in case anyone hasn't noticed yet... there are breakaway walls on the playset. Well, maybe just one wall. I think it's on the right side, if you facing the front of it.

Neat, huh?

Don't get me wrong, I went into this saying "Yes! A Cobra Mountain playset! How cool!" I wanted to love it. I tried to force myself, at first.  

But even I can't be blind to the fact that this thing is justterrible. Not only is it a repainted Star Wars toy... but it's a BADLY DONE repainted Star Wars toy. No, I don't need to hold the thing in my hands to know it's rotten. LOOK AT IT.  

He is right. Here are the pics to compare.

hcc_geoplayback.jpg

55446a-GIJoe-Cobra-Mountain__scaled_800.jpg

hcc_geoplayfront.jpg

55446b%20GIJoe%20Cobra%20Mountain__scaled_800.jpg

well speaking for myself i am pretty excited. i am going to buy a case of these for myself. i want one cobra mountain base for every gvc troup i am troup building. that is 1 for my bats, 1 for my iron g's, 1 for my neos, and then one for the higher ups of cobra.

i think it is important we all do our part to support hasbro on this. much like we were taught in sunday school to give 10% of your income as a tithe to the local church i propose to set 10% of eveyone's income aside for these playsets. that way we can make sure they make many more gvc playsets in this style in the future. :)- that is the very least we can do for hasbro.

you can put me down for a case, i'm pretty sure you can put the doc e, and clam also down for a couple each as well. who else is in with us? lets show hasbro how much we support this effort.

i'm hoping in the next gvc playset they use parts from the ewok village or yoda's hut on dagobah, i think that would make some great zartan hideouts.

I think JayC has inspired (or sparked) some good (healthy) debate on the subject. :D

I think us fans & collectors do get a bum rap sometimes on this stuff, and because we are so outspoken on the likes & dislikes of the toys, we get shoved aside as to whether or not our interest in the line is of any real importance to Hasbro. :-?

I think it's a double standard that gets used against us sometimes, when issues like this new playset come up. We're adults who have hung onto our imaginations from our childhood, and apparently still think these toys are COOL, and that's a good thing for Hasbro.

When we get fired up and express our opinions on what we see that we dislike, that same level of youthful thought process (also referred to as immaturity :wink: ) that keeps us buying toys, is in turn thrown back at us as an insult to our inability to relate to the intended market, "it's not for US, it's for the kids!" In defense of myself, I'd have to say when it comes to my love of these G.I.Joe toys, I have NEVER grown up, I'm still that little Danny-boy who loves his "cool-looking, good guy and bad guy toys", and I know what I think will be fun to play with, on that rock & dirt mound in the backyard! :lol: Hasbro should not attempt to discredit the views of us "old-timers" as not representing the "demographic"...and that's the "bad" thing for Hasbro.

Anyone see what I mean about the Star Wars playset things shown above??

Dimension..............height, width and DEPTH.

The ruined pillars and curved wall ADD to the depth of the set, a set of really simple accessories.

The COBRA Mountain version of this thing doesn't have that, there is no true depth to the set, it literally is just a wall.

I'll come out an say this: I'll buy the set.

I'm complaining, sure.........but I want a COBRA base and I'm not willing to wait. I can scarf upenough spare parts to give the set depth on my own, and thus make it visually interesting..........on my own.

I'm disappointed in this one, but I have enough Faith in the machine that is Hasbro to beleive the next one will be better.

--Ken

This technically isn't a Cobra base. The flags and throne sigils can be changed at will. That's why there aren't Cobra symbols molded into the doors/walls, which is very disappointing.

Like 8speed, I'll be buying some MCC's instead. That or putting $60 to buying a vintage TD.