Hi-Res Pic of the insode of the Cobra Moutain Playset

JayC

Press release from Hasbro:

"Thant's right, GI JOE is on a roll this year - doing so well it's even earned it's own playset! We a proud to approve the production of the Cobra Mountain playset! ...I guess it's not really a mountain... or a playset... um... So, this it, and fans of all ages can enjoy! Classic fans will be happy to see the return of the "NO STEP" sticker, and children will enjoy having a GI JOE fashion show with the rotating battle stand to the left interior ofthe base!"

Tom

Do these guys have Joseph Goerbles as their spokesman or what?

"worst playset ever"

we have been deceived my friends...hoodwinked...bamboozeled....

we were promised a mountain playset...and given an ant hill with silly missles.

we didnt land on the cobra mountain playset...the mountain playset landed on us!

I was all excited about this set upon hearing about it, but seeing it has just deflated me.

It LOOKS like the shell of something, missing.........SOMETHING that would make the set more captivating.

Its cheap-looking and rushed, like someone dig thru a box of old play-sets and grabbed this thing for production--which is the case I understand.

I can see WHY they'd do that--less production costs. Less costs at their end means less risk. If it tanks, they don't lose much, if it sells it green-lights ideas that are more involved and complex--which is what we all want.

My fear is that people see this for what it is..........a cheap hacked out playset and shun it.......and Hasbro looks at the numbers and says that playsets don't sell, so why make more?? Aaaaaaaaaaargh.

This says to me somethings........the $$$ numbers are good for GIJOE, but they are not REALLY good. There's interest, but there's not the overwhelming interest that there was in the 80's line. I can accept that fact.

I just hope it doesn't mean we'll see more timid stuff like this playset.

--Ken

Don't get me wrong, I went into this saying "Yes! A Cobra Mountain playset! How cool!" I wanted to love it. I tried to force myself, at first.

But even I can't be blind to the fact that this thing is justterrible. Not only is it a repainted Star Wars toy... but it's a BADLY DONE repainted Star Wars toy. No, I don't need to hold the thing in my hands to know it's rotten. LOOK AT IT.

Geez... ridiculous :evil:

Tom

I don't know, The "NO Step" sticker thing is a BIG plus. Like, WHAT?

It great to see a little return to detail but come on. THe set just does not belong as a GI Joe playset.

Violentfix

If Hasbro was smart they would pack in a truely Exclusive figure in these sets the new battle helmet cobra commander would of been a perfect fit to this set and people who wanted the cc would buy this thing just to get him! i kinda liked this base at first and even toyed with the idea of buying two (one for each side of my terror drome) but the more i see it the more i go "hhhhmmmm? where is the playability in this thing?" the weapons dont look like they come out, what is that spinning plate thing?, why is that throne soooo far up? is that an elavator or a jail? well anyway i talked myself out of the second mountain playset i'll just be getting the one! cause i do like to own one of everything.

TM

The only thing even remotely interesting in this is the throne. Looks like a remolded Terrordrome control seat. But Im not sure Id even pay $10 for that alone packed with a CC figure.

The Flash Gordon line from Playmates had a much cooler throne

LOL,I'd pay $10 bucks for it...I might wait till it gets that low to purchase one.It's a repainted Star Wars playset right?It showed SOME potential for the outside...like it was some mountain outpost,but the inside is far from impressive enough to really garner any interest to me.I'll pass on this one...they should just reissue the Terrordrome...though that'll probably never happen... :cry:

That Playset really Stinks!!!! WOW what a waste of plastic they could have used that plastic to make a Terror-Drome!!!!! Hasbro you have done it again!!!! :evil:

Y'know, I loved almost everything in the JvC line that I've seen up until now. If that makes me a Hasbro suck-up then so be it.

Really, its all been good stuff, IMO, and when I've managed to actually get my hands on the stuff, I've enjoyed it even more................but...........

Cobra Mountain Playset....................

Man, I just have to call a turd a turd when I see one.

-Ken

The pictures weren't really of anything we hadn't already seen of this monstrousity. :-?

It's a lazy modification of a previous Star Wars playset, and if that isn't insulting enough, it looks like some sort of Little Tikes type of molded mini playset or something.

I guess if you're somewhere between the ages of 3-6, you could stick this sucker in your Little Tikes sandbox, and it would work perfectly!

B000059GW2.16.PT01.LXXXXXXX.jpg

I'll wait for the next one (if a "next one" ever comes) 8)

Well I think you all are over reacting a bit. Yeah its no terror drome but if we are going to compare this to the ARAH line then lets really compare. The first Cobra type base was a peice of cardboard

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/82/cobrahq/

So if we are going to compare the first Cobra JvC playset to the first ARAH Cobra playset I think the JvC one will win.

But hey a cardboard cuttout eventually led to a Terror Drome so who knows what the Moutain playset will lead to. I also think kids will enjoy this one more than cardboard.

Well I think you all are over reacting a bit. Yeah its no terror drome but if we are going to compare this to the ARAH line then lets really compare. The first Cobra type base was a peice of cardboard

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/82/cobrahq/

So if we are going to compare the first Cobra JvC playset to the first ARAH Cobra playset I think the JvC one will win.  

But hey a cardboard cuttout eventually led to a Terror Drome so who knows what the Moutain playset will lead to. I also think kids will enjoy this one more than cardboard.

I think the biggest problem we have with this thing, is the fear of it's rejection from fans, kids & collectors alike, and it's subsequent shelf rotting potential, which with all the hints that the line as a whole, is a bit on the shakey and uncertain side, could be the end of ANY attempts at all, to make us something worthy of the line. :-?

Those cardboard HQ's sold well, so that inspired a better product (hence the Terrordrome) but todays philosophy seems to be "make crap..and if that sells...make MORE of the same crap" (not better stuff) and if the crap doesn't sell, the attitude is "the line is weak..PULL IT!" :o and not "let's make it better then!" :-?

I have stacks of styrofoam that is more inspiring to play with, than this SW reject of a playset. :lol: This is one of those releases that makes you feels Hasbro just isn't giving it the full college try...elementary at best.

Well that Star Wars reject you refer to is actually a pretty cool Star Wars playset and seemed to sell somewhat decently. Like I said this is no Terror Drome an who knows if we will ever see that kind of quaity playset again but I do say its better than cardboard and the fact that Hasbro is making some effort to bring playsets back brings me some hope that eventually we could see Terror Drome quality playsets or at the very least a re-issue of the Terror Drome. I also say this can and may appeal to kids, and that is the key to having this line grow in size and hopefuly quality.

Bottomline is, in the here and now... this thing blows. Even if you look at it with no comparisions, I'd still judge it not worthy of my money, and that's all there is to it.

But if people like it, then let'em buy it. I rather save up for the Mobile Command Center reissue.

Well no one said you have to buy it. I do wonder though. How would have people reacted to RAH if the internet was around back then. Just think how you would reaact if we were on the internet back then and pics of the Cobra cardboard HQ were posted but there was rumors of a upcoming GIJoe HQ coming? How many who orginally bought the cardboard set would have said Im not gonna buy that, im gonna save my money for the cool GIJoe HQ I have been hearing about coming out later on.

Makes you wonder how the internet would have changed the course of the orginal line.