Will Hasbro reissue Joe figures?

Toilet_Head

I just thought, wouldn't it be cool if Hasbro reissued G.I. Joe figures. They obviously have the molds to do it because thry've reissued some of them with some awful repaints like those 15th anniversary TRU exclusives a while ago. I didn't think the 2001 Joes were too bad though.

:)-

I just thought, wouldn't it be cool if Hasbro reissued G.I. Joe figures. They obviously have the molds to do it because thry've reissued some of them with some awful repaints like those 15th anniversary TRU exclusives a while ago. I didn't think the 2001 Joes were too bad though.

Hasbro already did and continues to reissue older figures :wink:

Yep thats what everyone talks about RAH reissues for, 8) :wink:

So look for a lot more in the coming years

Yep thats what everyone talks about RAH reissues for, 8) :wink:

So look for a lot more in the coming years

OH YEAH :)-

There are a number of molds that they used back then that ended up being broken or destroyed somehow. Funskool in India has some of them. However, I did find out that they original Crimson Guard mold was broken and no other copy existed. Therefore, supposedly, there will never been another Crimson Guard figure made.

There are a number of molds that they used back then that ended up being broken or destroyed somehow.  Funskool in India has some of them.  However, I did find out that they original Crimson Guard mold was broken and no other copy existed.  Therefore, supposedly, there will never been another Crimson Guard figure made.

Yes,but even with the existing figures...you can STILL recreate the mold I believe.If Hasbro would invest time and effort,all they need to do is get their hands on a CG figure (or another that has its original mold broken),pour some plaster over the different pieces to remold them in the plastic,maybe use some laser guided technology to copy it and then etch it back in metal...BoOm new mold!It's not the factor that it isn't possible,just Hasbro doesn't want to invest anything into recreating old favorites...so they just use the excuse that the mold is "broken" and there's nothing they can do.But I'm pretty sure they can recreate some of those broken molds if they wanted to.

There are a number of molds that they used back then that ended up being broken or destroyed somehow.  Funskool in India has some of them.  However, I did find out that they original Crimson Guard mold was broken and no other copy existed.  Therefore, supposedly, there will never been another Crimson Guard figure made.

Yes,but even with the existing figures...you can STILL recreate the mold I believe.If Hasbro would invest time and effort,all they need to do is get their hands on a CG figure (or another that has its original mold broken),pour some plaster over the different pieces to remold them in the plastic,maybe use some laser guided technology to copy it and then etch it back in metal...BoOm new mold!It's not the factor that it isn't possible,just Hasbro doesn't want to invest anything into recreating old favorites...so they just use the excuse that the mold is "broken" and there's nothing they can do.But I'm pretty sure they can recreate some of those broken molds if they wanted to.

Hasbro can do whatever they want. If Takara can find and fix the Soundwave Mold..... I am sure Hasbro can give us the Crimson Guards

...Are you for real? :(

Tom

They could remake the mold. I doubt the entire original mold of GI Joe from 1964 still exisits yet they manage to reissue those. Mattel remade the MOTU molds for their reissues as well.

No. That does not work, this has been suggested a million times and the answer is always the same. You get a copy of a copy. Detail is lost and we'll b!tch about it.

Hasbro's position is quite clear about vintage molds. If it is salvageable, then it can be used. The Joe line does not have the resources to create new JvC and vintage molds.

We can only hope that the new sculpts hold true to the spirit of the character.

The issue of old figure molds is pretty straighforward.

If Hasbro has the old molds, they can used them--if in good condition-- to create new castings.

if they don;t have the molds, there is no point in making a new mold for an old design figure.

Why??

Simple: its costs just as much to recreate the mold for an old figure as it does to create an all-new figure design BASED on the original design.

Let's face it, if Hasbro wanted all the Joes to look like their original counterparts, they have never gone with the new detailed looks.

The molds themselves take a beating in the production process.

Thermo-chemical actions start to wear the molds down after about 100,000 to 300,000 castings, and the copper-berrylium molds themselves cost a helluva lot.

Worn molds create "flash" on cast parts, which requires additional man-hours to clean up so the parts can be painted--also parts will have softened features as the erosion on the internal surfaces grows worse-- PathFinder in the recent AWE STRIKER set is a good example. He's nowhere near as crisp a casting as when he first appeared.

If the old molds are available, but in poor condition, its a real toss-up as to whether to try to clean the thing up or toss it in scrap-pile.

Keep in mind that Funskool may have alot of the molds from years gone by, but they maybe in in poor shape from excessive use.

Personally, I like the new looks, and would rather see new renditions of old favourites.

--Ken

I'm totally with you too. RAH is a thing of the past, and to keep it sacred, I think it's better to just NOT whore out old molds over and over again. What if they remade all 13 original Joes (again)? Then the old ones wouldn't be as great. What if they remade the original 1984 Storm Shadow and made it look exactly like the old one? Then mine wouldn't be as special.

I like the way they're doing it now. The molds aren't perfect, but no one said they had to be. I mean, some of the characters are better than the old ones. The JvC Wild Bill is better than the RAH one in my opinion, there are some others also.

RAH is a thing of the past, and to keep it sacred, I think it's better to just NOT whore out old molds over and over again.

What if they remade the original 1984 Storm Shadow and made it look exactly like the old one? Then mine wouldn't be as special.

So what you're saying is that, since you already have the original SS or whatever, Hasbro should never release them again so no one else can enjoy them?

Yowza.... :roll:

The molds aren't perfect, but no one said they had to be.

Possibly.... flawed toys are the best ya' know. :roll:

The JvC Wild Bill is better than the RAH one in my opinion, there are some others also.

Ripper's pretty good. A figure who's mold design is the closest to perfection in the entire JvC line thus far (or at least in my collection of JvC).

What if they remade all 13 original Joes (again)? Then the old ones wouldn't be as great.

And why wouldn't they still be great? They will always be of the higher quality version. Like Arrow said above, reissues don't seem as sharp and crisp as the originals. Personally, I'm just glad to have it; crisp or not (it's not that bad, I don't think).

Overall QC was better for all the originals, and they always will be. Save the broken crotch and thumb issues.

So all in all, RAH reissues shouldn't hurt JvC sales, so they should and will continue. And if it does, can't really blame RAH for outshining JvC in some aspects, like vehicles.

As far as recasting RAH stuff, not likely to happen. What's already been stated in this thread is as far as Hasbro seems to be willing to go at this point. Try to find them and produce them. If not, they move on to the next RAH molds. A new head sculpt here and there for RAH reissues is possible, but I doubt an entire body mold.

RAH reissues are still better than the funky GvC figures.. even if they are not as perfect as the originals were..

and I can't agree with arrow, because he might be canadian :lol:

Ya Clam, I be a Canucklehead. :wink:

I suspect you might know of me from elsewhere........

Its been a truely arduous pilgrimage to accquire Joes up here of lately, and in the flat vast expanse I now live upon even harder........but I'm still having fun.

--Ken

Ya Clam, I be a Canucklehead. :wink:  

I suspect you might know of me from elsewhere........

Its been a truely arduous pilgrimage to accquire Joes up here of lately, and in the flat vast expanse I now live upon even harder........but I'm still having fun.

--Ken

Nope, I don't know you from elsewhere.. I can tell you are Canadian from your use of language, especially your spelling.

I am like a freakin' detective! 8)

Ken's one of those GOOD Canadians I've rumored about. :lol:

Not of the CD generation, or as stinging in his observations of us Yanks, like a Mindbender (aka Horde Trooper) can sometimes be. :P

Glad to see him sharing his thoughts and ideas on the Joe world with us here at ADC! :D