Blue JvC Baroness figure

Jeff

What I am about to say does not, necessarily, apply to this auction. However, it is something for people who buy this type of thing to keep in mind.

There are currently reports coming out of Asia that factory workers are staying after hours and feeding different colors of plastic into the molds to create "prototypes" for the second hand market. There were a number of rumours about this happening with Star Wars figures a few years ago and it seems the same problem MIGHT be appearing in the Joe world, too.

Now, what does this mean? First and foremost, these figures were made from the Hasbro mold. So, they are "legit" figures. However, they are not Hasbro sanctioned paint jobs. So, if this blue Baroness (which is eerily similar to the unpopular '97 Baroness) appears in some Hasbro material as a possible variation for the figure, then I would apply more legitimacy to the piece. If the figure's color scheme never appears in Hasbro literature, then there is a better chance that the figure was simply created by after hours factory workers who are supplementing their income by creating new color schemes for figures based on what they find on YoJoe.com and then selling this stuff on the Internet.

The end result is buyer beware. If you don't know what you're doing in the pre-production figure arena then I wouldn't spend any money that you can't afford to lose. Some of these pieces that will be appearing in the coming months could be very legitimate. Others could simply be after hours fabrications. How the market will differentiate the two remains to be seen.

What I am about to say does not, necessarily, apply to this auction.  However, it is something for people who buy this type of thing to keep in mind.  

There are currently reports coming out of Asia that factory workers are staying after hours and feeding different colors of plastic into the molds to create "prototypes" for the second hand market.  There were a number of rumours about this happening with Star Wars figures a few years ago and it seems the same problem MIGHT be appearing in the Joe world, too.

Now, what does this mean?  First and foremost, these figures were made from the Hasbro mold.  So, they are "legit" figures.  However, they are not Hasbro sanctioned paint jobs.  So, if this blue Baroness (which is eerily similar to the unpopular '97 Baroness) appears in some Hasbro material as a possible variation for the figure, then I would apply more legitimacy to the piece.  If the figure's color scheme never appears in Hasbro literature, then there is a better chance that the figure was simply created by after hours factory workers who are supplementing their income by creating new color schemes for figures based on what they find on YoJoe.com and then selling this stuff on the Internet.

The end result is buyer beware.  If you don't know what you're doing in the pre-production figure arena then I wouldn't spend any money that you can't afford to lose.  Some of these pieces that will be appearing in the coming months could be very legitimate.  Others could simply be after hours fabrications.  How the market will differentiate the two remains to be seen.

You gotta love Mike. This guy is a plethora of information. I love reading your posts man! :luv:

i would say that it's fake just because of the cobra insignia on her upper arms. the cobras are solid red, and most, if not all, of the cobra insignia on the figures are white or red outline, but no filled color. oh well, i think i'm just being nitpicky.

Shoot, I actually wouldnt mind purchasing that from the regular store.  They could put in CC, The Baranoess, and mybe Destro and make it the Cobra Command Team.

Throw in a repainted Shock Viper (the grey one we saw at last years convention), a repainted Iron Grenaider, and a repainted Crimson Guard Commander and i'll jump on that set

I saw a pic of one of these last week and asked DDD if any such figure was in the works. He said no. So don't know if its an error or people playing arounf in the factories or what but I don't think this is a actual figure coming though it does look pretty good.

I saw a pic of one of these last week and asked DDD if any such figure was in the works. He said no. So don't know if its an error or people playing arounf in the factories or what but I don't think this is a actual figure coming though it does look pretty good.

you should show him the pic and tell him he should do this repaint , lol

He's also got a gray Baroness and a Golden B.A.T. up as well!As well as the Polar Blast and the Air Assault glider.It seems what robot_sonic says can apply to this...that workers just decide to make a few extra 'unique' molds in hopes to getting big bucks from collectors.The Golden BAT even has the unique "Cobra Slither" logo on the leg and some of the logos can be difficult to reproduce via hand.I think this guy may have done just that,stayed up late to create some unique molds (or got these from someone who did just that) and paint jobs in hopes of getting some extra money for them.

Whether it is legit or not, $50.00 is a little to much for one Joe figure. IMO.

I wouldn't really care if it was an official Hasbro figure.. if it was up to the same quality, then its cool with me.. actually made by Hasbro, but not for the regular market.. I would buy it but just for me, I wouldn't care about the aftermarket value.. if they did that with some cool RAH stuff that needs better colors, I would be all over it

Remember it is not like these figures are made in a small hut in the out back of China.

The factories are state of the art high rise production facilities. It is not like some guy stays late pays the guard to let him run the 70 ton machine to make 10 figures. Someone does not wait for everyone to go home (first they live at the factory) turn of the lights (they run 24 hours a day) and then start the factory back up to make a few figures.

To change molds or the color of plastic (even harder) takes some serious time.

Now it is totally possiable for these figures to be made in the test lab or "Model Shop" which would make them the same as every prototype ever made. They came from the same factory using the same molds and the same spray masks and tampo machines. Manufacturered or "Produced" in a limited amount not for public distribution.

Ok so don't call them prototypes call them EXTREAMLY LIMITED EDITIONS! The fact is that the only difference between what you buy in the store and these is the marketing of the actual figures thru Hasbro.

Are they stolen? That one you may never know, are the "Specials" made at the factory for an employees birtthday and given to 100 factory workers stolen? or Gifts? Licensing or any other payment is usually not paid for these, so what are they? are the GI Joes if Hasbo never invoiced anyone for them?

Some of the most sought after Hot Wheels in the world are "Factory Specials" some made for Mattel and some for factory workers birthdays. They all get out to the public someway because you have to know what $500 US gets you in China.

How many of you have that "Something Special" from your job at home? So if you could feed your family for a month by selling it would you?

Hasbro may not enjoy that fact that these figures are out there, but you could never stop it. IF history is correct the ones selling the items are usually the ones higher in the food chain.

Everyone wants what the other guy dosn't have. That is the nature of collecting.

I like the tampo test, figure test shots, and the odd stuff, I like the non-o-ring cobra commander with his knife on the side of his leg and the Baroness from the convention with a black logo.

I would love fr DDD to say how many test shots are made for each figure (True test shots like the Blue Sand Viper and Lizard, not a non painted production figure). They have gone to big lengths to make sure that figures and images don't get to the public pefore they want them to. That hasn't stopped them but it has stopped where they are seen.

I ask every dealer that comes here, how has the policy effected your pre-sales of releases? Interest in the line? When a picture showed up on ebay or one of these sites before didn't you get phone calls and orders?

These figures are good for the hobby and everyone involved, it is time for hasbro to imbrace it and give some information to the collectors.

After all we only really want them because were Joe Freaks!

i've said it before and i'll say it again "kidmold you just plain rock!" glad to see you posting again! whats your take on the wave 7 big crotch thing?????

TM