Sweetest Destro I have seen in a long time.

martini_847

Hey...is hotlinking these emoticons Bandwidth stealing also?

jump3.gif

Yes, it is. But, some sites don't give a sh!t. Or it doesn't happen enough that it causes them problems, so again... they don't care.

I like those kinds of sites! :wink:

Cause this is just the nature of the Internet. Don't b!tch if you're too lazy to implement solutions that can prevent hotlinking (general statement, not addressing anyone).

And as far as giving credit, I don't really care about that either. If you don't want your pics appearing elsewhere, don't post it. Again, just the nature of the Internet.

Once you put stuff on the Internet, it's pretty much up for grabs. People will use and abuse it.

Right on brother! :lol:

With all that said, it's just being considerate not to hotlink off places that tell you not to or whatever. In the end, that's really up to the users of the Internet.

If you can and know how to host the pics yourself, you should (if you're a considerate person). If you don't know, learn. If not, well... I don't know. I guess you'll just keep hotlinking pics.... ehh... :-?

It isn't that hard to learn. And if a dial-up user (like me) can upload a pic or two so I can put them in my posts, then you broadband guys have... like... no excuse.

But whatever, people will still do what they want to do, 'cause that's just the way the Internet is. So what ya gonna do? :-?

personally when I first saw the pic, I didn't see WHO made it, how, or where. these are important factors in the display of artwork. The artist chose to show it on joecustoms, accomanied by the text he put there, with his name on it.

basically it's a respect issue there. you respect the artist's work enough to show it off, then I should think you'd respect him enough to let him get credit for it.

OH, and regarding the bandwith cost issue... Jeff was right on. It's not at all affected because of the banners and advertisers on jc.com... other than the kickback if joecustoms has to start paying more for hosting services and then boost our fees.

And yes, there are ways to prevent hotlinking, but they're not universal. so sometimes people actually BROWSING joecustoms itself would not be able to see the pictures... especially if they're using a weird browser. Because beav wants to keep the site friendly for everyone to browse, he doesn't want to impliment any of those blocks.

Okay! Let's see if I can get this now?

If i do something like this:

HEY folks! I was over browsing the customs at JOECUSTOMS, and man you should check out the bada$$ DESTRO by DavAnthony! :o

Here, take a look at this awesome, frankenstein looking, monster of a Destro! Nice job ain't it?

fc1bfa63.jpg.thumb.jpg

*edit: HEY...he SHRUNK!??

try this...

fc1bfa63.jpg

now we're cookin'

*end edit

Is everything legal and considerate and properly done, for such a linking of anothers pic? :)

hahaa, yes VH, I don't think ANYONE would complain about that.  :lol:

(whew) cool man! 8)

Well actually the best way would be to post a link to the page with the picture you want people to see so they have to go over to that site and see it. Besides bandwidth theft which can get costly when you hot link a picture there are other things to consider.

First I am sure the people who put all the hard work into a site didnt do it for the purpose to have all their pictures shown on another site. I am sure they would prefer you went over to their site check out the picture in question and maybe even look around at other things.

Second many sites get the money to keep them going from sponsors. So if you are looking at the picture here, there is little chance you will see their sponors buttons or banners and click on them, therefore making it harder for them to maintain sponsors which means its harder to maintain income that keeps the site going.

As 8Speed pointed out people are going to do these things anyways and in response sites will try and implement filters that sometimes blocks out the pics all togther for some people and other will try and stick big ugly watermarks on the pictures that half the time block out the picture you are tring to see to begin with but that still doesn't make it right or cool to do.

So basically these are just common courtesys I would hope people would extend to ADC and hope that we all here can extend to other sites.

So basically these are just common courtesys I would hope people would extend to ADC and hope that we all here can extend  to other sites.

Well, there are some people over at wrestlingfigs.com forums hotlinking your avitars.

Well actually the best way would be to post a link to the page with the picture you want people to see so they have to go over to that site and see it.

I think what is happening though, is people are finding it more interesting to see the picture of the custom, collection, or upcoming figures, directly linked in the post. It adds to the specific post, in a way I guess.

I would rather see links posted when the picture is overly large or long though, so as not to stretch out the whole page because of it...that's annoying.

First I am sure the people who put all the hard work into a site didnt do it for the purpose to have all their pictures shown on another site. I am sure they would prefer you went over to their site check out the picture in question and maybe even look around at other things.

The pictures being "hotlinked" that are in question here, are pictures of customs and/or collections, that people OTHER than the webmaster, have worked hard on, and I would think that they are not all that concerned with the spreading around of their great work to other sites (if properly credited :wink: )

Second many sites get the money to keep them going from sponsors. So if you are looking at the picture here, there is little chance you will see their sponors buttons or banners and click on them, therefore making it harder for them to maintain sponsors which means its harder to maintain income that keeps the site going.

I think just about anybody who lurks or posts at ONE Joe related site, is lurking around the others at some point and time. I visit probably ALL the other Joe sites, just to try and catch some updates or news about the hobby (only to find that no other site is as well updated, as our very own ADC here! 8) workin' some brownie points

It's only logical that IF a member has hotlinked a picture from ANOTHER site, they've been over there and reading..right? Their getting the clicks & visits tallied up just the same. :)

That really only leaves the bandwidth "theft" to be the real problem, and it still sounds like some silly computer geek theory, made up in order to sound super hyper intelligent about inner galactic space modulators and mega-gega-quadruple bands of WIDTH that they OWN! :roll: ... :lol:

sites will try and implement filters that sometimes blocks out the pics all togther for some people and other will try and stick big ugly watermarks on the pictures that half the time block out the picture you are tring to see to begin with but that still doesn't make it right or cool to do.

That would be those NEEEERDS...I was referring to! @-@

So basically these are just common courtesys I would hope people would extend to ADC and hope that we all here can extend to other sites.

For linking pictures of others customs, that have been hosted by another Joe site, I'll be saving it to my imaginestation file and re-hosting it from there (so as not to steal their BW) but silly pictures of Benny Hill & my many ARNIE pictures are fair game! :wink:

Well actually the best way would be to post a link to the page with the picture you want people to see so they have to go over to that site and see it.

I think what is happening though, is people are finding it more interesting to see the picture of the custom, collection, or upcoming figures, directly linked in the post. It adds to the specific post, in a way I guess.

I share this mentality. If I were to make a post or start a thread about something, if possible, I provide the picture(s) (by hosting it myself) and inserting all the captions/quotes that the thread is about in the post. That way, everything you need to know and see is in the post. No extra clicking and/or travelling to another site for the readers. Still, I included the link anyway.

I would rather see links posted when the picture is overly large or long though, so as not to stretch out the whole page because of it...that's annoying.

That's where I cut'em down in Photoshop. :wink: